Knock Sensor Test

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Knock Sensor Test

According to my manual, the way to test a knock sensor on a 1992 3.1L V-6 is to check the resistance. It should read between 3300 and 4500 ohms.

Where do I place the contacts? I assume one on the engine block and one on the center electrical connection of the Knock Sensor?

If this checks out okay, I was told to check the voltage of the lead going to the Knock Sensor. I assume that I place the one lead on the engine block and one on the wire that runs to the Knock Sensor with the ignition in the on position, is this correct?

The reason I am testing this is because I occasionally (seems to happen only after the vehicle is idling a long time) the "Check Engine" light flashes and stays on on for a little while before turning off. The scan showed a Code 43.

Thanks!

By the way, I did notice that the wire plugging in to the Knock Sensor had some black electrical tape wrapped around it, so maybe it is an intermittent short in the wire? I drove it for 25 minutes last night on the highway and the check engine light never came on. The car runs great with plenty of power.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
Working...
X