how much timing under boost

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how much timing under boost

how much timing should i be able to run under 8lbs of boost?
    all of the tunes i've seen are running even more than even my stock timing tables. i've got a 2001 camaro. i've read stuff saying subtract a degree per lb and then go back up if possible. just lookin for some advice. i have pretty low timing and still get knock retard.

Re: how much timing under boost

It depends on the oct. rating of you gas and the weather you're in. With my SC I retard by 3 at 6-7psi. The highest oct. I can get is 91 and it's warm most of the season.

I'm using TRC and stock injectors so mine might not work the same way for you. You're probably using HPTurner, which is way better.

Comment

If you can't run 17° at WOT you have too much boost dial it down.

But you should be able to run 14-15psi no problem with the right size injectors and a good IC.

Comment

i'm only running 8lbs, i have plenty of injector 42lb and they are dialed in pretty good. i'm intercooled and the weather hasn't been above 50 lately. i'm running 91 octane... i'm thinking i may need to run some race gas to see if my knock is real or not...

Comment

K... Think i Figured out the problem... Night and day difference in how the car runs 2. I took advice from somebody on hptuners web page and put a supercharge regal 3.8 timing table in my car. I guess it was just so different that no matter how I edited and smoothed it. It kept getting kr.

Comment

gonnnnnnna add a question here.... if i get on it from a roll, i'm virtually knock free, however. if i go from a dig....(not necessarily spinning tires) i get up to 8 degrees of knock retard. is that because its under more load or something? or could it be false???????? i can't hear knock but kinda hard to hear anything with an open wastegate.

Comment

low rpm high load. lots of knock.. pulling time into the negative

Comment

help me help me... i've got a log and tune on hptuners

Comment

case learn seems to have fixed my problem

Comment

You can always use resistors to desentize the Kr sensors, mines at 40% reduced and still shows real KR when it comes up.
                    08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
                    96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

i think there are settings in tiny tuner to desensitize, but i'm not trying to go that route quite yet. i did order some dynamat, and i'm going to wrap the knock sensor. but its amazing what that case learn did. i basically have your timing table minus a little timing and was still getting a lot of knock, but after the case learn there was hardly any. i'm still wondering why it helped.

Comment

Originally posted by ssms5411 View Post
                        You can always use resistors to desentize the Kr sensors, mines at 40% reduced and still shows real KR when it comes up.
                        That's a bad idea man, false KR is usually pretty easy to hunt down.

And especially on stock pistons (like I am) KR is the biggest enemy!

Comment

Double post

Comment

i'm gonna wrap the knock sensor in dynamat in a few days, when it comes in. i know i get KR under launches, theres hardly any timing in those cells. like 1-5 really low... so i don't know if its legit or not.. but it will then keep showing KR all the way through the gear

Comment

Its probably false KR. I don't see a reason for your KR.
                              08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
                              96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Andy H
                                Hello everyone!
                                by Andy H
                                Its been a while since I've been on the forum. Hope everyone is doing well. I still have my camaro! Unfortunately, the slave cylinder and clutch has went...
                                2 weeks ago
                              • 3.4 slow to go
                                hey there strangers!
                                by 3.4 slow to go
                                been a while but looks like i'm back in the game thanks to my brother. he went and bought an'02 bird, and since i'm a technician at the nissan place...
                                3 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X