Check engine light

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Check engine light

0420 is, of course, a "catalyst efficiency" fault.

The way OBD2 works is, when the diagnostics test the cat, if the signal from the rear sensor begins to mimic that of the front sensor, the diagnostics assume the cat is failing.

One problem with some inexpensive "high-flow" cats is they contain an inadequate amount of catalytic reactant. That's why they can be sold cheap. Problem is if the cat doesn't have enough reactant to work efficiently, the rear sensor signal will mimic the front sensor and the code sets.

Using HPT, you can program P0420 to not turn on the MIL, but if the cat is not working properly, you may have trouble passing a state emissions test.

I'd say that, if you didn't have problems with P0420 before you put the aftermarket cat on but you have the code now, it's unlikely the sensor is bad, however, if you follow the diagnostic info on P0420 in the FSM, you can determine is the sensor is bad prior to buying any parts.

If the problem is, in fact, a faulty cat or a bad sensor, moving the rear sensor's position in the exhaust is unlikely to change the situation.

IMO, this whole BS about "high-flow" cats is just that, BS.

I put an standard Car Sound Exhaust replacement cat on my mod'ed 01. All I did was go a half-inch larger and inlet/outlet. I gained some performance, the exhaust sounds better and the car still passes the stringent Enhanced Smog Check in California. Oh yeah...never seen a P0420 either. The cat cost me about 200 bucks on Amazon. For more info see: http://www.camarohomepage.com/project/part5.htm

Comment

Problem solved. The shop put the new sensor in and the light went off. No harm no foul since it didn't cost me a thing to replace.

Comment

Originally posted by 02firebird View Post
        Problem solved. The shop put the new sensor in and the light went off. No harm no foul since it didn't cost me a thing to replace.
        Good news, eh.

Now that you have the MIL off, have you run on the chassis dyno or at the dragstrip to see if the high-flow cat made any difference in performance?

Comment

Ya i actually had it dyno tuned the other day. First run i put down 177hp 175tq, and after a little tuning I had 186hp 185tq. For only intake exhaust and the cat I'm really pleased.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• 3.4 slow to go
            hey there strangers!
            by 3.4 slow to go
            been a while but looks like i'm back in the game thanks to my brother. he went and bought an'02 bird, and since i'm a technician at the nissan place...
            4 hours ago
          • ssms5411
            Had to get another phone
            by ssms5411
            Well my iPhone 11 Pro Max took a dump, it’s in a boot up loop, will try and get it fixed and give it to my mom. So I got a new iPhone 15 pro max, everything...
            1 week ago
          • ssms5411
            Leaking front cover
            by ssms5411
            So I’m still leaking coolant, I think it’s my front cover, going to double check when it’s alittle warmer, got the Zzp extra thick timing cover...
            2 weeks ago
          • transamtom1
            Went to look at 2002 V6 Firebird Vert.
            by transamtom1
            Local car on a small lot just over 100k mikes(178,000 kms)

Silver with grey leather and black top 3.8L for $5400 cdn or $3975 usd as is....
            3 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
          Working...
          X