Evap Help - Purge Valve/Solenoid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Evap Help - Purge Valve/Solenoid

Hi, I am a new member here, but not new to messing with cars, especially f-bodies. I signed up here to get some help with my primary DD - a 96 firebird 3.8L auto....We've owned it for about 5 years, it's been nothing but trouble, but we've kept it going. lol.

The latest is Evap codes. I keep getting P144 and P1441.One of these is "Evap system flow during non-purge", the other has something to do with the "vacuum switch circuit"

I read a bunch about this online, but it's hard to find good info on this stuff. Codes seem to be coming more and more frequently, so yesterday I pulled out the driver side rear wheel well and checked all the evap lines back there, and checked/cleaned out the valve that is back there. Everything around the canister looks fine, and I replaced any questionable looking rubber lines.

So I found what I believe is the purge valve under the hood, on the passenger side of the engine, towards the firewall, near the intake. I pulled the vacuum lines off of it and blew some air through it. After that the codes disappeared for the rest of the day. Today, while running some errands (shutting car on a off) the codes came back.

I think my next plan of action will be to replace the purge valve under the hood, so herein lies my question:

How the heck do I get this purge valve off of it's bracket!?? Looks like the bracket is bolted to the intake or something, and the valve should slide on somehow, but I cannot get the damn thing off! Any ideas?

I can post pics of this valve I am talking about if needed.

Also, if anyone has any other ideas or things I should check, please post them up.

Re: Evap Help - Purge Valve/Solenoid

Here are a couple pics....See the black valve/solenoid thing with the blue connector on it. How do I remove it from the bracket that it's on??

Comment

Let's make this easy - that's not the EVAP Canister Purge Solenoid - it's the EVAP Vacuum Switch.

The Purge Solenoid is the square thing next to the oil cap.

BUT you do have the correct part - both codes deal with the SWITCH - not the solenoid.

To remove - "Bend the tab on the mounting bracket"

Robert - owner www.FirebirdV6.com "Mid-life crisis? I'm way beyond that!"

1996 Black Firebird GTxxxRam Air V6 w/ M5xxxwww.FirebirdGT.com

Raven

Comment

Ah, ok thanks for clearing that up!

I figured that there must be a tab or something to release it. If I can get a replacement I am gunna try to replace it next weekend. Hopefully it's the problem cuz I am sick of clearing codes! lol

Comment

Join the club with the codes, this seems to be a recurring problem with GM cars. At least your EVAP code doesn't involve pulling the tank.
          2002 Silver Firebird A4<br />T-Tops, Leather, Y87, W68, Chrome Wheels<br />Bone Stock

Comment

Yeah, that is a good thing. This car has three valves total, the two picutred and one right near the charcoal canister in the wheel well. All of which seem pretty easy to replace.
            I posted this on a local f-body forum and was told it is likely a purge solenoid issue (the one by the oil cap). But Firebird GT (above) seem to think it's the vaccuum switch, and he seems to know his stuff! So I am really not sure what to replace first, but chances are whichever one I do first will be the wrong one anyway!lol

On a related note, I cannot seem to find a source for the vacuum switch, local parts store doesn't list it at all. They do stock the purge solenoid, but no vacuum switch. Anyone know where I can get a new one??

Comment

Try GM parts store they should have it or be able to order it for you.
              08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
              96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

I've had evap solenoid codes thrown because of leaky vac lines. Make sure to check the vac lines and the evap return line.
                96 White M5 Camaro. Manual everything. Magnaflow cat, dynomax dual outlet axle back. Swapped to a disc rear with 3.42s and a torsen differential, kyb gr2 rear shocks, moog rear endlinks.

Comment

Just thought I'd update this for anyone who wants to refer to it in the future. I replaced the purge solenoid - no dice. So I eventually found a new vaccum switch and replaced it - problem solved!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• 3.4 slow to go
                    hey there strangers!
                    by 3.4 slow to go
                    been a while but looks like i'm back in the game thanks to my brother. he went and bought an'02 bird, and since i'm a technician at the nissan place...
                    2 hours ago
                  • ssms5411
                    Had to get another phone
                    by ssms5411
                    Well my iPhone 11 Pro Max took a dump, it’s in a boot up loop, will try and get it fixed and give it to my mom. So I got a new iPhone 15 pro max, everything...
                    1 week ago
                  • ssms5411
                    Leaking front cover
                    by ssms5411
                    So I’m still leaking coolant, I think it’s my front cover, going to double check when it’s alittle warmer, got the Zzp extra thick timing cover...
                    2 weeks ago
                  • transamtom1
                    Went to look at 2002 V6 Firebird Vert.
                    by transamtom1
                    Local car on a small lot just over 100k mikes(178,000 kms)

Silver with grey leather and black top 3.8L for $5400 cdn or $3975 usd as is....
                    3 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X