HP Tuners for Dummies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HP Tuners for Dummies

Ok, I want to make a data base available for people to read about regarding what everything means in Hp tuners while you are tuning.

I am hoping that this will be stickied. I know I had, and still have lots of trouble going through my tunes and getting the car to do EXACTLY what I want it to do because I was not 100% clear on what each and every option in hp tuners does for us.

I would like if when you post follow this format:

Post the original Tab (engine, engine diag, trans, trans diag etc)
    Post the sub tab
    Sub heading if applicable,
    and then the EXACT table.

You can ask questions related to info given, but I would like to stay on topic as much as possible...the idea behind this is I want to take all the data I get here and compile a little database for us in which we'll have a definition for every option on hp tuners (applicable to us). The less B.S I have to sift through to compile the info, the easier my life will be lol.

Also, Please DUMB this down as much as possible...Explain anything you define as if you were talking to someone that has absolutly Zilch experience/knowledge about tunning. As stuff is added I will edit my original post to reflect the changes...lets see how this goes.

Thanks guys.

I'll start:

ENGINE

General

EGR

Min IAT- this is the intake air temperature requirement that must be met in order for the EGR to be enabled. Below this temperature EGR is non functional.

Idle RPM

Target idle speed- This is the idle speed that your car attempts to achieve when the following conditions are met.

P/N (park Neutral) have the desired rpm settings in relative to the engine coolant temperature.
    In Gear the same applies. This gives you the option of having two different desired idles for the same temperature, but dependant on if you are in Park/neutral or in gear.

Fuel Control

Stoich AFR- This is ideal air fuel ratio in which you will get the fullest combustion during cruise. Stoich from the factory is set at 14.7 (14.68), however the stoich afr changes based on what is added into your gasoline. The more ethanol present in your gas, the lower your stoich point will be. 0% ethanol in your gasoline yields a 14.7 afr as stoich, while 10% ethanol in your gasoline yields a 14.1 afr as stoich.

Injector Control

Flow rate vs KPA- This is your injector sizing table. It lets the pcm know what size fuel injectors are running in the car at any one given time. Since the fuel pressure in your car will change at different manifold vacuum pressures (AKA when under load such as at wide open throttle as opposed to at idle or cruise) the table allows you to adjust the “true” size of the injectors throughout that range.

Skew vs Cylinder- This allows you to skew the amount of fuel into any cylinder in your vehicle. You can either add more fuel to particular cylinders, or subtract fuel. This function is more for independent cylinder tuning.

Fuel Cutoff

RPM limits, Cutoff RPM Vs. Gear- You have both a cutoff and resume table here. Cutoff is the rpm threshold that the car will cut the fuel supply going to the cylinders for the respective scenarios: PN- Park/neutral, Reverse, In gear.
    Resume is the point in which the car will begin to add fuel back to the cylinders once the cutoff has been initiated.

OL & CL

Delay- this table is used to set how much time the car delays in seconds after startup before it will enter into closed loop. The delay time is based upon your coolant temperature. Usually the warmer the coolant, the less of a delay time will be needed to enter into closed loop.

Coolant Temp- The coolant MUST reach this temperature IN ORDER to go into closed loop mode. This temperature must be met, regardless if the delay time above has passed.

Power Enrich

PE Enable, Delay Vs. TPS- This is a delay in seconds that you can implement to prevent entering PE mode after achieving a certain throttle position. Example- if you have PE set to come on at 25% throttle, but you accelerate at 25% throttle regularily, you may set a certain amount of seconds that would delay the car from going into power enrichment mode once you hit 25% throttle. The throttle increments go in 5% throttle increases. 0’s mean no delay in entering Power enrichment.

PE Enable TPS, Hot- We do not have a table for “cold” so this is not coolant temperature dependant. This table is where you set when you want power enrichment to be enabled via Throttle position. The numbers inputed into the table are Throtte %, and it is relative to your engine RPM. This allows you to set power enrichment at lower RPMs to come on at a higher throttle position, while you can still set power enrichment to enable at a lower throttle position at higher engine RPM’s.

Base AFR vs ECT- This table is what your default air fuel ratio will revert to when you enter Power enrichment mode. This table is based off of you engine coolant temperature. This allows you to set richer/leaner values for different weather inclements.
    This base table is what will be used for the Add vs RPM, and Add vs TPS tables. You usually set this table richer then what your stoich afr is set at.

Add vs TPS- This table is used to LEAN out your power enrichment table at desired throttle positions. It will not allow you to put a negative number, therefore it does NOT allow you to add fuel.

Add vs RPM-
    This table is used to add fuel based on RPM when in power enrichment mode. The seconds that are present in the table are so that you can add more fuel (if you wish) the longer you stay within PE mode under a certain rpm load. This table adds fuel based on your base afr vs ECT table afr.

Spark Control

Main spark advance
    High Octane- This is your spark advance timing that the car will attempt to utilize until it detects knock. If the car detects knock it will revert to the low octane table. Cylinder airmasss (g/cyl) is basically the load present on the engine. 0.92 cells would be hit at wide open throttle, while the ones in the middle will be hit at cruise.
    Low octane- This is your spark advance timing that the car will attempt to utilize after it has detected knock. Again 0.92 cells would be hit at wide open throttle, while the ones in the middle will be hit at cruise.

Spark limiters

RPM Threshold- This is the RPM at which you will enable your rev limiter. At this threshold the pcm will cut the spark to the “commanded spark”

Commanded Spark- This is the specified spark that the pcm will cut to when the above RPM threshold has been met.

MPH vs Gear- When the following speeds have been reached in their respective gears, the “command spark” will be initiated to cut the timing (rev limiter)

Engine Diagnostics

Air flow

Maf sensor, Maf fail high- at this specified Hz frequency or higher, the pcm will automatically fail the Mass airflow sensor

DTC’s

- This table is a list of all possible engine light codes. You can set which ones will enable the engine light to come on, and when/how the light will come on.
    SES enable- This determines whether or not the engine will check for the code.
    0- you will get an engine code the first time a fault is detected.
    1- You will get a fault code the second time this error is reported
    2- No engine light will be displayed in the dash.
    3- No code will be retrieved and no error reported.
    Last edited by LETZRIDE; 03-10-2010, 10:40 AM.

2002 SOM Z28 Camaro - 12.9 @ 104 mph
    1996 3800 Camaro - 13.43 @ 100.77 mph

Project Cars | How To Guides | Scratch Repair | Synthetic Oil

Re: HP Tuners for Dummies

Transmission

Auto shift speed

Part throttle shift, Normal- This table is used for part throttle shift parameters. The numbers in grey going across the top are your throttle position, while the left top 3 coloumns are your upshifts, and the bottom 3 are the downshifts.
    For the 1-2, 2-3, 3-4 shift your 100% throttle position should be set at the maximum mph/ km/h that your car should see in that gear.
    For the first few cells (0, 6, 12) throttle position on the upshift, you should have the minimum speed inputed in which you will shift into the next gear. Example, if you have your 2-3 shift set at 30 mph for 6% throttle, then when you are traveling at 30mph and at 6% throttle, your car will upshift into 3rd gear.

For the 2-1, 3-2, 4-3, downshifts, your 100% throttle position should be set at the maximum mph/ km/h that you will be at prior to going into that lower gear. Example, if on the 2-1 downshift your 100% throttle is set at 30mph, then at 30mph or slower you will downshift into 1st gear, anything above 30mph you will downshift into 2nd, or 3rd gear respectively depending on your speed and table settings.

Performance- This is not used on the F-bodies, it is only if you have a “performance” select button (no not that nitrous button) on your transmission selector stick.

Hot-
    this table should be set the same as the normal table, unless you wish to change the settings slighty for a limp mode when your transmission runs in “hot mode”

Full throttle shift speed

Normal- this is the maximum speed you will be doing for your 1-2, 2-3, 3-4 upshifts, and the maximum speed you will be doing for your 2-1, 3-2, 4-3, downshifts. These numbers should correspond exactly with what is in the “100% throttle position” in the part throttle tables.

Performance- Again we do not have this table as F-bodies, you only have this if you have a performance button.

Hot- again this table should be set the same as the normal table, unless you are reducing numbers for a “limp mode”

Full throttle shift RPM

Normal- this is your max rpm that you will shift at at wide open throttle respectively for each upshift of gear.

Performance- We do not reference this as we do not have the performance buttons.

Hot- again this should be the same as the normal table, unless you are settting up a reduced speed/rpm limp mode.
    ***** ALL 3 TABLE CONDITIONS MUST BE MET IN ORDER FOR A SHIFT TO TAKE PLACE…THIS IS WHY IT IS IMPERATIVE THAT YOUR 100% THROTTLE POSITION BE THE SAME AS YOUR FULL THROTTLE SHIFT SPEED TABLE AND CORRESPOND WITH THE CORRECT RPM IN THE FULL THROTTLE SHIFT RPM TABLES.*****

System

Fans

Fan 1 on Temp- This is the minimum temperature that must be reached by the coolant in order to turn fan 1 on.

Fan 1 off temp- When the coolant reaches this temperature, Fan 1 will turn off (but will come back on when it reaches the on temperature again)

Fan 1 enable speed- At this speed if you have the A/C turned on, fan 1 will automatically be enabled.

Fan 1 disable speed- At this speed the fan will be disabled if you have you’re a/c on and are going faster then what is specified here.

Fan 2 on temp- This is the minimum temperature that must be reached by the coolant in order to turn fan 2 on.

Fan 2 off temp- When the coolant reaches this temperature, Fan 2 will turn off (but will come back on when it reaches the on temperature again)

Fan 2 enable speed- At this speed if you have the A/C turned on, fan 2 will automatically be enabled.

Fan 2 disable speed- At this speed the fan will be disabled if you have you’re a/c on and are going faster then what is specified here.

Ignition off

Disable Temp- If the car has this specified coolant temperature when you shut the ignition off, your fan will continue to run for the specified “run time”

Run Time- Is a time in seconds, when you turn your ignition off the pcm will reference the table above for the “disable temp”…if the coolant is hotter then the specified temperature, your fans will run for the specified number of seconds once the ignition is turned off.

A/C

General

Enable Min IAT- The intake air temperature must be above this temperature in order for the AC to enable.

Disable TPS- At this throttle position or higher, the A/C will be disabled.

Re-enable TPS- If the A/C was disabled, this is the throttle position that the car must fall to in order to re-enable the A/C

Disable ECT- At this engine coolant temperature the A/C will be disabled.

Re-enable ECT- At this coolant temperature the A/C will be re-enabled.

Disable IGNV-
    At this ignition voltage the A/C will be disabled. You use this so that when the car is dropping in voltage (due to a failing alternator, or battery, whatever) it does not have the extra load from the A/C

Re-enable IGNV- The A/C will re-enable itself at this ignition voltage.

On Startup delay- This is the delay time in seconds that the A/C will not engage once the engine is fired up.

RPM disable- This table covers both park/netural, and In gear. The Ac will be disabled at the specified or higher RPMs, and it will re-enable at the specified and lower rpms.

Speedometer

Speed limiter- This is another speed limiter in which fuel/spark will be cut off at the specified speed per gear selected.
    Last edited by LETZRIDE; 03-10-2010, 10:35 AM.

Comment

good **** man

Comment

Nice! This is exactly what I need!!

Comment

Thanks...there is tons of stuff that still needs to be defined, I just selected what I knew and could explain...someone help add something !!...more notably if someone could expand any on the Acceleration enrichment section...there is alot I am unsure of there...

Comment

I like this a lot. I will use this as a reference if I ever forget anything for sure. You gettin bored up there in canada?

TEAM C6V6

Comment

This makes me want to get my own copy of HPT!
              Daily: '02 Black Yukon Denali
              Toy: '06 Torrid Red GTO
              Gone: Powerdyned '02 Pewter Camaro
              Gone: '07 Charcoal Yamaha R6
              Gone: Ex-wife, lol

Comment

Originally posted by Blizzard242 View Post
                I like this a lot. I will use this as a reference if I ever forget anything for sure. You gettin bored up there in canada?
                naw...Im just getting frustrated because I don't know how/why or what any of the AE stuff does, and I want to know because I want to modify it.

I've always said there should be some kinda guide that explains everything better then the little script at the bottom of the hp tuners window when you hold the mouse over each tab...man some of those descriptions confuse the hell out of me even more.

So I just got fed up and said, F it, Im gunna make my own damn reference data base, and hopefully get info that I can use, and help other people equally as frustrated as me lol.

I just mentioned all the easy stuff that most of us probably take for granted, but the guys starting out will most likely find this the most useful, for now...

Comment

hell yeah, I hated trying to read through the help files and stuff on hp tuners. I don't think I know anymore than you do though so I can't really contribute a lot.

TEAM C6V6

Comment

great idea! :tup: i have a question, and maybe the answer can be added to your post...
                    WOT is always open loop. so if your gas has up to 10% ethanol in it. there are no fuel trims, or correcting figures to change the fueling in wot(without tuning)
                    so on a factory tune with gas w/ethanol, Is the WOT going to be lean?
                    Last edited by thebeewantsboost; 03-11-2010, 01:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by thebeewantsboost View Post
                      great idea! :tup: i have a question, and maybe the answer can be added to your post...
                      WOT is always open loop. so if your gas has up to 10% ethanol in it. there are no fuel trims, or correcting figures to change the fueling in wot(without tuning)
                      so on a factory tune with gas w/ethanol, Is the WOT going to be lean?
                      a factory tune that is running the pump gas that can contain up to 10% ethanol should still not be lean at WOT, irrc our factory tune for WOT is pig rich, so that is not something I would be worried about. If it does go a little leaner, I am 99% sure that it is nothing that is a damaging lean...

Another thing you might want to factor in, is what type of gas you are using in the car...some gas stations that have premium (91 or higher octane) say that there is 0% ethanol in those gases...but ethanol in the other grades... depends on the gas station.

Ethanol changes the stoichmetric value...I'm not 100% sure how it impacts going either rich or leaner...stoichmetric is defined as having the most complete combustion so that the maximum number of oxygen/gasoline molecules will be used up.

Stoich for just straight ethanol is 9:1...

Not sure if thats the answer you're looking for...but thats the majority of the info I have gathered this far...

Comment

on an n/a motor with basic bolts on. what afr is best for wot?
                        87 gas
                        87 10% ethanol

Comment

thats a loaded question lol...I'd personally aim for around 12.7-13.2ish...a dyno would tell you better though...since you're without a cam, I would aim more so for low low 13's

Comment

the factory pe is 13.0 then it adds a little in the adder tables.... i wonder if i should just tune to that. btw i delete these posts. to clean up the thread just had some questions.

Comment

you should always add some with the adder tables...factory tune is very rich for a stock car...but I guess tuning is like a preference...you tune to what you feel gives you the most power...

btw, I think I may of discovered a few more things for SD tuning...I just need to confirm it, and I'll rifle you off a PM...

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• ssms5411
                                Had to get another phone
                                by ssms5411
                                Well my iPhone 11 Pro Max took a dump, it’s in a boot up loop, will try and get it fixed and give it to my mom. So I got a new iPhone 15 pro max, everything...
                                1 week ago
                              • ssms5411
                                Leaking front cover
                                by ssms5411
                                So I’m still leaking coolant, I think it’s my front cover, going to double check when it’s alittle warmer, got the Zzp extra thick timing cover...
                                2 weeks ago
                              • transamtom1
                                Went to look at 2002 V6 Firebird Vert.
                                by transamtom1
                                Local car on a small lot just over 100k mikes(178,000 kms)

Silver with grey leather and black top 3.8L for $5400 cdn or $3975 usd as is....
                                3 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X