will an ls1 y-pipe fit a v6?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• will an ls1 y-pipe fit a v6?

a guy is selling one over on ls1tech, here is a picture: http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d4.../350Z006-1.jpg

would this fit my car, or is it completely different?

Re: will an ls1 y-pipe fit a v6?

I don't think it will fit without fabbing up some extra piping. The V6 y-pipe is offset. The left collector pipe is longer than the right and connects at the Y on the passenger side of the car.

Example:

'99 Camaro
    '04 Saab 9-3 Aero
    '90 Audi Coupe Quattro

Comment

ah i see the difference now, thats the exact part i need

i cant tell on that picture, but im assuming the area where they put the pipe inside a pipe is the piece coming off of the drivers side and runs along the oil pan, correct?

would it be possible to clamp in a straight piece of exhaust pipe in that area?

Comment

Not sure if there is a double layered pipe right there. I still have my stock y-pipe laying around, so I could go get a better picture for you. But yes, they do have a thicker pipe welded in by the oil pan.

I don't think you would see any gains from welding in a piece of straight pipe there. It may have thicker walls or even a slightly smaller inside diameter, but probably not enough to make a difference. Or is there something else you've got planned?
        '99 Camaro
        '04 Saab 9-3 Aero
        '90 Audi Coupe Quattro

Comment

Originally posted by pace2006 View Post
          Not sure if there is a double layered pipe right there. I still have my stock y-pipe laying around, so I could go get a better picture for you. But yes, they do have a thicker pipe welded in by the oil pan.

I don't think you would see any gains from welding in a piece of straight pipe there. It may have thicker walls or even a slightly smaller inside diameter, but probably not enough to make a difference. Or is there something else you've got planned?
          no, my exhaust is vibrating and people said that it is because they use a pipe within a pipe somewhere around there, and i want to cut it out and stick a straight pipe in to get it to stop vibrating

its so annoying and one of those pieces with the cat costs $404 from advance auto, there is no way i am paying that much to fix a rattling/vibrating noise, so i figured i could just cut that part out and clamp a new piece in

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...S_573144555___

edit* i see that you have that piece not on the car, what did you replace it with? maybe that would be cheaper for me
          Last edited by cam98aro; 05-15-2009, 01:43 PM.

Comment

i have a ls1 pipe in my garage. im almost positive it wont fit a v6

Comment

thanks, i can tell by the pictures it wont

i seriously cannot find a y pipe and the collector ANYWHERE, i have looked at all of the links in the stickies, summit, jegs, walker exhaust, everywhere

i can find them with headers and everything, but not just the y pipe itself unless it is connected with the cat

summit racing has a y pipe/collector/cat for around $300 but that is the cheapest i have found so far

Comment

check a junk yard, or someone on camarov6,or ftv6 or a like site for someone who has headers and is selling there mani's

Comment

Originally posted by Fondle View Post
                  check a junk yard, or someone on camarov6,or ftv6 or a like site for someone who has headers and is selling there mani's
                  i checked here and over there, it looks like i will just have to put a post in the wanted section to see if anyone will sell me that piece

i was hoping someone here would see this thread and say hey, i have one laying around that i will sell you, but who knows

i dont know of any junkyards around here with f bodies, i do know of one, but all they have is ls1 cars

Comment

wish i would've known about 2 weeks ago---i just did my headers and full exhaust and had all of my stock stuff up for grabs.

sorry man, good luck.
                    pacesetters|full 3" borla exhaust|3" stainless e-cutout|slp cai & ram intake|c/f whisper lid|tbs|eibach|kyb|stb|sfc's|adj.lca's & phb|slp fan|b&m t5|180*|z06 17x9.5|8000k hids|hptuners|d/s rotors

sigpic
                    gone in body, but not in spirit

Comment

this may do the trick:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Flowt...Q5fAccessories
                      pacesetters|full 3" borla exhaust|3" stainless e-cutout|slp cai & ram intake|c/f whisper lid|tbs|eibach|kyb|stb|sfc's|adj.lca's & phb|slp fan|b&m t5|180*|z06 17x9.5|8000k hids|hptuners|d/s rotors

sigpic
                      gone in body, but not in spirit

Comment

Originally posted by BallerMaro13 View Post
                        thanks, but thats for an ls1 :o

Comment

Originally posted by BallerMaro13 View Post
                          says ls1 in the desc. so no.

You can get replacement ypipes through your local exhaust shop. Should be a walker or a merit ypipe available
                          http://www.bowtiev6.com/

Comment

Originally posted by 97rs4life View Post
                            says ls1 in the desc. so no.

You can get replacement ypipes through your local exhaust shop. Should be a walker or a merit ypipe available
                            walker only provides the y pipe and cat as one unit

Comment

RockAuto has the cat/y-pipe combo for about $280, but that's still a lot more than what you could find from a board member. I got a picture of my old y-pipe before work this afternoon. It is not the original stock piece. It was replaced when I had to get a new cat back in 2006. This one is actually smaller than the original, it is 2.5" in diameter, but is one solid piece throughout and I don't think it's double-lined by the oil pan. I replaced it when I installed the CIA headers.

'99 Camaro
                              '04 Saab 9-3 Aero
                              '90 Audi Coupe Quattro

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Andy H
                                Hello everyone!
                                by Andy H
                                Its been a while since I've been on the forum. Hope everyone is doing well. I still have my camaro! Unfortunately, the slave cylinder and clutch has went...
                                3 weeks ago
                              • 3.4 slow to go
                                hey there strangers!
                                by 3.4 slow to go
                                been a while but looks like i'm back in the game thanks to my brother. he went and bought an'02 bird, and since i'm a technician at the nissan place...
                                3 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X