Silencer delete on angled TB?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Silencer delete on angled TB?

That ugly thing takes up so much room and from what I can see; very restrictive.... Post up pics or links please!
    sigpic
    98 Camaro 3.8 M5 Y87 | 99 Camaro LS1 Z28 T56

Re: Silencer delete on angled TB?

yes please!!!!! ive been looking for something else also...

Comment

I'm sure a search could pull up many more options, but this is one I had bookmarked.

Cold Air Kits for Different Models
      '99 Camaro
      '04 Saab 9-3 Aero
      '90 Audi Coupe Quattro

Comment

Look on ebay they have some fenderwell kits, that are not that bad, but I would get a K&N when the filter goes out on the ebay kit though.
        08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
        96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

i would like to know also, i just shaved my airbox down, but i want to remove the silencer, i just want it to look nice and not like some ricer piece of crap

Comment

Originally posted by pace2006 View Post
            I'm sure a search could pull up many more options, but this is one I had bookmarked.

Cold Air Kits for Different Models
            Ebay link is dead. As for the rest of the thread, the only one that aplies is the dryer ducting, which I should have mentioned that I want to keep the stock air lid and that I dont want to use dryer ducting.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ssms5411 View Post
              Look on ebay they have some fenderwell kits, that are not that bad, but I would get a K&N when the filter goes out on the ebay kit though.
              I have looked over threads quite a bit and they say those have too many bends...

Heres what Id like to do, but then Id have to get the lid :(

I think this is what ssms was refering to...

Last edited by nimrod.sixty9; 04-12-2009, 09:56 PM.
              sigpic

Comment

I've been running my fender well kit for 9 years , no problems with a K&N filter 4 X 9".
                08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
                96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

I really don't want to toss my K&N :(

Still may consider it though. Ill be waiting to see if anymore ideas come up. I wonder if I can make the stock air lid fit the Bird setup... Besides I think I may have some aftermarket ram air thing going... Ill take some pics to see you guys think of it.
                  Last edited by nimrod.sixty9; 04-12-2009, 11:14 PM.
                  sigpic

Comment

That SLP lid with a 270*+ bend would KILL airflow.

Comment

Originally posted by Inferno View Post
                      Yeah it would....

Here is how it looks on my Whisper Lid.

Go get some dryer duct hose from Home depot. And 2 hose clamps.
                      And you need a place to put your IAT sensor

Comment

Originally posted by Inferno View Post
                        Agreed. You're best best is using dryer ducting or trying to find some molded silicone that could work. You'd be better off keeping the stock air silencer in place of that 270* bend.
                        '99 Camaro
                        '04 Saab 9-3 Aero
                        '90 Audi Coupe Quattro

Comment

Damn dryer ducting :poke: Where did you get and how much? Any issues with water? Someone on here had an engine splo right after doing this... Will it work with stock air lid?

How about the fender well kit then? Too many bends?
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by nimrod.sixty9 View Post
                            Damn dryer ducting :poke: Where did you get and how much? Any issues with water? Someone on here had an engine splo right after doing this... Will it work with stock air lid?

What year is your car?

And they dryer ducting came with the Whisper Lid from Whisper Motorsports.
                            I'm guessing you can get some from home depot.

And yes, it will work with stock lid.

Comment

Originally posted by nimrod.sixty9 View Post
                              If it's run through the stock air lid setup or whisper lid, then there shouldn't be any additional problems with water. In fact, an SLP Cold Air kit would couple with this well. But I haven't heard of anyone blowing up their engine after doing this. And yes, it will work with the stock lid. If you looked at this post on the second page of the link I posted earlier, you would've seen pics:

Originally posted by Frechles71 View Post
                              Ok didnt end up with enough time to try and replace the oval airbox lid with something round... dont really think i could either but i just did the dryer vent ducting thing... Started off making my own sheet metal that went from 4" oval to about 2 3/4" round but by that time there wasnt enough space to fab anything in for the bend. Would probably work if i had actual tubing...

so i went to home depot and picked up 4" dryer vent ducting tube...the kind that sits on the shelf like a tube, not the kind that comes in a box that looks like cheap *** aluminum foil wrapped around a slinky... formed it in there to fit, which worked nice bc it goes right over the TB and has a large enough circumference to be larger than the oval side so after some forming it just slides over that too... drilled a hole for the sensor, painted it with black high temp engine paint, coated most of the inside with a thin layer of silicone to smooth out the little ridges in the ductin and siliconed the sensor in so it wouldnt leak, since it was hard to to get an exact fit since the area would strech a little causing the hole to deform. put it on clamped it down n got a decent looking silencer delete.

Car sounds louder now when getting on it and at idle. Didnt notice as much power gain as i thought i would with this and the free ram air mod. Going to the track this weekend so ill see if it actually affects the ET at all since it will be the same track at around the same temperatures and humidity.

And sorry for the long post. Just writing it all out so if some1 else has a 98 and wants to do the samething they can look here or be refered to this and can ask me questions if they want... i searched for hours and didnt really find that much.

http://forum.camarov6.com/attachment...3&d=1182516235
                              http://forum.camarov6.com/attachment...4&d=1182516244
                              http://forum.camarov6.com/attachment...5&d=1182516341

Why go back to a previous intake design when you can have a better and more straight through lid setup? If the looks of the dryer ducting bother you that much, then keep the hood down.
                              '99 Camaro
                              '04 Saab 9-3 Aero
                              '90 Audi Coupe Quattro

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Andy H
                                Hello everyone!
                                by Andy H
                                Its been a while since I've been on the forum. Hope everyone is doing well. I still have my camaro! Unfortunately, the slave cylinder and clutch has went...
                                3 weeks ago
                              • 3.4 slow to go
                                hey there strangers!
                                by 3.4 slow to go
                                been a while but looks like i'm back in the game thanks to my brother. he went and bought an'02 bird, and since i'm a technician at the nissan place...
                                3 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X