Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: My Exhaust / Intake set up...

Originally posted by ne0hisda0ne View Post
    removing the air resonator didn't flip any codes?
    Why would it?

To the OP: good "budget" build. However, i would HIGHLY recommend you invest in a 3" catback/muffler as your next mod.

Comment

thats a good lookin bird you have there and a really clean silencer delete. You have actually inspired me to finally do that.

Comment

you went to town on those clamps and reducers. looks like you McGiver-ed that stuff up good!
        Heady Navy Blue Metalic<br />Heady Catback Flowmasters<br />Heady Bilstien HDs, PAnhard rod, LCAs,SFCs<br />NGK\'s and MSD Wires, K&N flowin + Smooth Bellow<br />Y87 3800 GT Performance.<br />I love the way this car makes turns!<br /><br />1989 black Camoaro RS. R.I.P.

Comment

^haha
          Team NoVa

2000 Firebird- Intake, Pacesetters, !cat, full 2.5 to flowcrapster, 1.9 rockers, LS6 springs and Intense modded retainers, WS6 speedlines, T/A bumpers and hatch, 5 spd swapped, SOON TO BE nitrous'd and cammed.

Comment

Wheres the duct tape and paper clip? LOL
            08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
            96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Hey fellow Iowan,

I did nearly the same intake/exhaust mods with my car (must be the water) but with a true single exhaust all the way back instead of the transverse muffler. Used a resonated tip and a borla muffler with 2.25 pipe. It sounds like a BMW now and I'm not sure how to feel about that.
              If I throw big revs and let off there is no rasp or cackle, none. It is on the quiet side but with decent tone. I'm considering doing something about the cat too. New high flow maybe, eliminate it perhaps?

I was trying to get the sound to be something like this: he retained the 2.25 pipe and stock cat and his only mods on the 'stang are borla muffler, K&N air filter and a tune.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7K3umsPKAM

Maybe if I took the resonated tip off? It's going back to the shop friday to get tweaked, I'll post up...
              Last edited by nitetime_pr; 04-07-2009, 09:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by nitetime_pr View Post
                Hey fellow Iowan,

I did nearly the same intake/exhaust mods with my car (must be the water) but with a true single exhaust all the way back instead of the transverse muffler. Used a resonated tip and a borla muffler with 2.25 pipe. It sounds like a BMW now and I'm not sure how to feel about that.
                If I throw big revs and let off there is no rasp or cackle, none. It is on the quiet side but with decent tone. I'm considering doing something about the cat too. New high flow maybe, eliminate it perhaps?

I was trying to get the sound to be something like this: he retained the 2.25 pipe and stock cat and his only mods on the 'stang are borla muffler, K&N air filter and a tune.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7K3umsPKAM

Maybe if I took the resonated tip off? It's going back to the shop friday to get tweaked, I'll post up...
                Taking off resonators or catalytic converters will cause more rasp. A high flow cat might be more for your tastes. Although I wouldn't suggest you follow a Mustang's exhaust mods. Ford's V6s tend to sound much better than ours with similar setups.
                '99 Camaro
                '04 Saab 9-3 Aero
                '90 Audi Coupe Quattro

Comment

Wow, well, I hadn't checked this in... oh... a while, but jeez!

First, thanks to everyone who likes my car!
                  And, a tip of the hat to HeadyFirebird'00 for the MacGyver reference!

Now... to clear some stuff up.
                  First, the main reason I reused the old piping was because of the cost/availability of new pipe. I get all of my parts direct from my dad's auto warehouse, so it works nicely for cost... but I would've had to back order the pipes, and I wanted it done over spring break.

In total, my exhaust cost me $135. I ended up cutting about $150 out by reusing the old pipes. (That's my cost from my dad, not retail.)

Now... about the rice comments...
                  1) I don't think it sounds ricey, I think it sounds amazing.
                  2) Only people that said it sounds ricey are my girlfriend (she's not that into cars, so she can't really tell the difference in exhaust notes... terrible, i know), and one of my friends that also isn't that into cars.
                  3) The idle is the EXACT same pitch/grumble as a Z06 'vette... I love it! Only problem is it's a LOT quieter than the vette.

Now... what else was there?
                  Clamps...
                  Yeah, clamps aren't really the best way to go, but it's what I had at the time, and all in all it works very well for me! I would get it welded, but honestly, it works as is, and if I ever do the exhaust again, I DO NOT want to have to cut welded pipes again... My hands ached for three days after I finished this, from using a hand held pipe cutter.

My Silencer Delete -
                  To whoever said it, no, it didn't throw a code... the little sensor that went in front of the silencer just plugged right back in where it came out of originally.
                  And to Screamin' 99 - Yeah, I thought it looked damn near OEM... and most people don't notice it, unless they know something is supposed to be there.

On a slightly related note - my dad's warehouse recently aquired another dealer/supplier, so he's going to have access to K&N soon... I am definitely thinking of the FIPK, but the price has been the main hinderance... If/when he can get me the part, I'm definitely replacing the stock airbox and my resonator delete with the FIPK.

Finally, to wrap this long reply up - I don't think I'm going to go for replacing the cat with a glasspack, as I just crawled under my car (I got bored) and found that the pipe isn't exactly pretty... It's about as rusted as the rest of the pipe, and the Y-pipe side isn't a nice size... it's kind of a bulky-oval-weld to the cat... That's too much work for my tastes.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Andy H
                    Hello everyone!
                    by Andy H
                    Its been a while since I've been on the forum. Hope everyone is doing well. I still have my camaro! Unfortunately, the slave cylinder and clutch has went...
                    2 weeks ago
                  • 3.4 slow to go
                    hey there strangers!
                    by 3.4 slow to go
                    been a while but looks like i'm back in the game thanks to my brother. he went and bought an'02 bird, and since i'm a technician at the nissan place...
                    3 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X