My Exhaust / Intake set up...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Exhaust / Intake set up...

Alright... Well, this is my first post here, and I figured I should make it a decent one!

This is my new exhaust/intake set up, that I did myself...

Before the pictures, I'm going to explain a bit on what I did -

Rather than get all new pipe (cost and time prohibitive) I decided to reuse the stock pipe with my new muffler (Dynomax Superturbo). In doing this, I learned quite a bit about exhaust, and the issues that are inherently involved.

My main problem in reusing the old pipe was that the ID/OD were 2.5" while the pipe was 2.25" I solved this problem by getting 3 pipe reducers. When I went to attach the pipe reducers to the muffler, I found that they had identical ID. So, I went and got 3x2.5" pipe sections to connect the reducers to the mufflers.

Next, I found out that the reducer/new pipe sections made the tips about half a foot too far apart to fit properly in my body kit (W68). So, I had to cut a few inches off of each pipe. However, I accidentally cut too much off of the drivers side pipe, and now the pipe shot out at 45*... So, I went and got a 45* bent 2.5" pipe to replace in between the muffler and the reducer. This solved the problem, and everything eventually lined up perfectly!

I then hoisted everything up under the car, and tightened down the last few bolts and clamps, only to find out that the muffler wanted to sit to the drivers side about an inch too far. A little wire and some careful coercion, and I managed to get everything to sit together nicely.

I'm not completely satisfied yet, as I've been told twice that it sounds "ricer" at higher rpms (I'm assuming they're just hearing the rasp) so I plan on replacing the cat with a glasspack. Also, the muffler sounds vastly different at WOT on the road vs. 5k rpms at a stop.

Now for the fun part! Pictures!

Drivers Side Out -

Passenger Side In/Out -

New Muffler, Whole thing -

Now, for the second part of this post!
    I've also done the air box lid mod, and the air resonator delete...
    These are pretty well known, so I won't go into too much detail, other than the part I used for the gap from the air resonator. I was looking around for a steel pipe for a while, or aluminum, or even PVC, and couldn't find anything I wanted to use. Finally, I was bumming around in menards looking for a suitable part, and found a 3"x3" PVC pipe coupler. I bought it on the spot for $4 and some change, and went home to start my mod. Here's the final result!

Air Resonator Delete -

Most people don't realize anything is out of the ordinary unless I tell them about it... So I think I did a pretty good job!

Re: My Exhaust / Intake set up...

Now for Part Two! Couldn't post more than 4 images, so I had to break this up a bit...

Airbox Lid Mod -

Then, just to wrap this post up, here's a couple pics of my car -

And finally, my engine bay (in it's nasty, dirty, unkept state) -

Alright, well, that's all I've got for now... So.. Let me know what you think of my set up, and any comments/tips are greatly appreciated!

Comment

Pretty Car, but the muffler with stock piping really isn't going to provide any real gains...the true gains come from the piping going from 2.25 to 2.5 or 3 makes a world of difference flowwise...
      Y87 Package
      MANUAL CONVERTED, Pro 5.0 Shifter
      Pacesetters, Magnaflow Cat, Cutout, Flowmaster

MOGOB APPROVED!
      BONE APPROVED!
      VANBIBBER APPROVED!
      KRISTEN APPROVED!

Vice Prez.
      Team Black...TEAM EMO
      sigpic
      Come on kids! Get a Calendar!

Comment

how did you do the airbox mod, did those fins just snap off or what

Comment

Originally posted by cam98aro View Post
          how did you do the airbox mod, did those fins just snap off or what
          Needle nose pliers makes it pretty easy.
          '99 Camaro
          '04 Saab 9-3 Aero
          '90 Audi Coupe Quattro

Comment

so i just snap them off and use some sandpaper to make everything nice?

Comment

superturbo muffler sounding like rice......thats the first Ive heard. More then likely the 2.25" piping. Anyways car looks good.

Comment

Originally posted by cam98aro View Post
                so i just snap them off and use some sandpaper to make everything nice?
                That is the word on the street, I thought about doing that but I just said eff it and got the whisper lid

Comment

for my lid i accully used a grinder carefully then torched the lid to make it baby bottom smooth worked well felt slight gain (not much)

Comment

btw car looks nice but find someone with a welder and rid ur self of the clamps

Comment

i have a k and n fipk to stock manifolds and 3" pipe back to my super turbo no rasp at all no rice here must be your crappy pipe..
                      2001 Camaro 3.8 A4
                      1991 3000GT VR4
                      2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS

Comment

Originally posted by vr4gasm View Post
                        i have a k and n fipk to stock manifolds and 3" pipe back to my super turbo no rasp at all no rice here must be your crappy pipe..

xxxx2
                        08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
                        96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

You've got a great start though, improvising and doing things yourself is always a big :tup: in my book. Keep goin, free up that flow all the way up to the heads and you'll be set as far as exhaust piping is concerned.

TEAM C6V6

Comment

oh yah i forgot i have a carsound high flow cat too
                            2001 Camaro 3.8 A4
                            1991 3000GT VR4
                            2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS

Comment

removing the air resonator didn't flip any codes?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Andy H
                                Hello everyone!
                                by Andy H
                                Its been a while since I've been on the forum. Hope everyone is doing well. I still have my camaro! Unfortunately, the slave cylinder and clutch has went...
                                2 weeks ago
                              • 3.4 slow to go
                                hey there strangers!
                                by 3.4 slow to go
                                been a while but looks like i'm back in the game thanks to my brother. he went and bought an'02 bird, and since i'm a technician at the nissan place...
                                2 weeks ago
                              • ssms5411
                                Had to get another phone
                                by ssms5411
                                Well my iPhone 11 Pro Max took a dump, it’s in a boot up loop, will try and get it fixed and give it to my mom. So I got a new iPhone 15 pro max, everything...
                                4 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X