exhaust rattle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• exhaust rattle

Here lately I have been noticing a rattle when I pull out. It doesn't do it everytime but it is coming from the rear. I crawled under the car today and banged on my muffler and I can hear something rattle inside almost like a bb rolling around or something. It's a flowmaster 80 series. Also my inlet pipe rattles against my right tailpipe. I wedged a piece of metal between them and that helped alot. Here's some pics.

Does anyone else have problems with those two pipes hitting?
    Also what would be best to use to clean all of the rust off of the pipes and muffler and what would be best to paint them with? Thanks
    2000 Camaro 3.8 v6 M5
    Flowmaster 80 series muffler, B&M ripper shifter, SLP grille

Re: exhaust rattle

I would use like hard rubber between them but I would use a steel brush and some rust cleaner or grind it off with a steel brush. Depending on if you want a metal color or black color you could use high heat alm. paint or use rubber undercoating if you don't mind black. Mine was coated with rubber undercoating before , now it is the high heat alm. coating except for the muffler and turn down. Don't have rust in AZ so I like the Alm. color better.
    08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
    96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

ok cool. shouldn't the muffler be turned over and then the inlet pipe and tail pipe wouldn't cross? also I thought we had stainless steel exhaust? I didn't think ss would rust like my inlet pipe is?
      2000 Camaro 3.8 v6 M5

Comment

the muffler is oriented correctly - it just needs a little adjustment and they won't hit anymore. and that exhaust pipe is aluminized steel. it's not worth trying to save. you can get the rust cleaned of the outside, but it will rot from the inside, too.
        Last edited by checkbit; 04-05-2009, 08:02 PM.

Comment

ok thanks! I wonder what it meant when it said on the factory window sticker that it had stainless steel exhaust?
          2000 Camaro 3.8 v6 M5

Comment

my flowmaster rotted out in 2-3 years ish. It made a rolling around sound you describe. it was a baffle. [I] posted a thread about it, i got pics in there showing what happened. It rattled and drove me nuts for a long time.

you might have a broken piece rolling around in there.
            Heady Navy Blue Metalic<br />Heady Catback Flowmasters<br />Heady Bilstien HDs, PAnhard rod, LCAs,SFCs<br />NGK\'s and MSD Wires, K&N flowin + Smooth Bellow<br />Y87 3800 GT Performance.<br />I love the way this car makes turns!<br /><br />1989 black Camoaro RS. R.I.P.

Comment

if its not the muffler that is broken *ive heard alot of bad things about flowmaster PERSONALLY* its probz the hanger on the passenger side next to the muffler. My car used to do it really bad it sounded like it was coming from far Right rear of the trunk when in the vechile. As soon as i started rolling it would go away... but at idle it would rattle my brains out. That hanger sits on a rubber "pad" i guess you can say make sure its still there... if not take a old piece of heater hose or somthing cut a small piece and wedge it around the hanger to see if it goes away.*temp fix* then if it works go buy a new one. Thats how i fixed mine. NOTE: make sure u check your heat shields to when vibration or rattling happen. ESPECIALLY through metal it can travel along way from its origin.... just an idea good luck man.

Comment

The flowmaster 80 series is atraight through on one side and the other goes through the muffler, thats why it sounds good at idle and rasps up top.
                08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
                96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Originally posted by Andy H View Post
                  ok thanks! I wonder what it meant when it said on the factory window sticker that it had stainless steel exhaust?
                  some ss cars came with slp upgraded exhaust - it was stainless steel. don't know why your v6 car would say that on the window sticker, though... someone else will have to chime in on that one. unfortunately (or fortunately, if you like it) the stock exhaust was swapped out for the flowmaster you have. the rusted pipe is no big deal, really - mostly cosmetic.
                  Last edited by checkbit; 04-06-2009, 09:32 AM.

Comment

yeah I don't know why it would say that. I am the original owner and the only thing ever removed from the factory exhaust was the muffler and tailpipe. I wonder if I could take it back to the dealership and make them put stainless steel exhaust on it? lol!
                    2000 Camaro 3.8 v6 M5

Comment

I had a similar problem, but my rattle only came when I was driving on a particularly bumpy stretch of road... My solution?

See your first picture... the black rubber grommet? Notice how it's all stretched out and crappy looking?

Cut that sucker out (wire cutters work really well, just tear at the rubber for a bit), and put in a new one. You can pick a couple up from www.rockauto.com for $3.50 each.

That solved my problem pretty quickly!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• ssms5411
                        Had to get another phone
                        by ssms5411
                        Well my iPhone 11 Pro Max took a dump, it’s in a boot up loop, will try and get it fixed and give it to my mom. So I got a new iPhone 15 pro max, everything...
                        1 week ago
                      • ssms5411
                        Leaking front cover
                        by ssms5411
                        So I’m still leaking coolant, I think it’s my front cover, going to double check when it’s alittle warmer, got the Zzp extra thick timing cover...
                        2 weeks ago
                      • transamtom1
                        Went to look at 2002 V6 Firebird Vert.
                        by transamtom1
                        Local car on a small lot just over 100k mikes(178,000 kms)

Silver with grey leather and black top 3.8L for $5400 cdn or $3975 usd as is....
                        3 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X