Mufflers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mufflers?

I have a 2000 Firebird 3.8 with a magnaflow 2.5" v6 muffler and a 3" carsound highflow cat, I am looking to make it quiter and less raspy. Should I put a bullet muffler in the I pipe or change the muffler? To say a Dynomax Super Turbo or Borla Pro XS muffler?

Re: Mufflers?

Throw some headers on and you will lose some rasp. Won't make it quieter though...

Throw a factory cat on there, that will quiet it up.
    2002 SOM Camaro- Sold
    2006 S60- Sold
    2000 Cherokee- The desert whip

Comment

put a bullet or resonator in the i-pipe and post a video of it so i know how it sounds before i do it to mine :p

a lot of people here will tell you to get a dynomax super turbo - they all claim it has no rasp. i don't care for the sound it puts out, but to each his own.

best thing to do is experiment and find what you like best. it's not the cheapest method, but i contend you'll be happier in the end.

Comment

I added headers to my Camaro and although I get a rasp when I do a quick rev of the engine, I get solid sound when I gun it at a stop light :tup:

Comment

Dynomax Super Turbo 3" in/out with a 3" turn down, 3" piping , no cat ,RK headers, no rasp, great sound for a V6. I also have the VS cam. I have alot of people ask what I have done to my V8 , it sounds real good. Even when I had it washed on Sat. the guy asked me if it was a V8 and what has been done to it.LOL
          08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
          96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Ssms5411 do you have sound clips for that?

Comment

Nope, just people who have heard it in person.
              08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
              96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

So how does a dynomaz super turbo compare to a magnflow camaro/firebird v6 muffler for sound and power?

Comment

I've never heard a magnaflow in person so I couldn't compare the 2, I have had RK Sport dynomax dual tip on stock exhaust, 3" exhaust w/ flowmaster 80 dual tips , then added a 24" resonator and built motor with VS cam, headers, then del. the CAT, then a flowmaster 40 with 3" in 2-2 1/2 outlets with turn downs, and then 3" Summit Turbo muffler 3" in/out deleted the resonator only has a 2 1/2" inside the muffler really quiet no rasp, then fianlly Dynomax 3" in/out 3" turn down with 3" internal inside the muffler and chambered, louder than the Summit Turbo at idle and through the gears and no rasp to 5900 RPMS. Thats all the mufflers I've had on my car for over 13 years since I'm the original owner of it.

Comment

I've had a Dynomax Super Turbo on my car for a little over a year now and I couldn't be happier. I've got some sound clips on fquick and youtube. Its a good true sound that isn't too loud and doesn't have a lot of cabin resonance.

Comment

Originally posted by The Banks View Post
                      I've had a Dynomax Super Turbo on my car for a little over a year now and I couldn't be happier. I've got some sound clips on fquick and youtube. Its a good true sound that isn't too loud and doesn't have a lot of cabin resonance.
                      I've never posted sounds clips because my Camera/Video recorder sucks for picking up the actual sound. If I have a good recording device I would post a vid of mine. But everyone that hears it person loves it. I'm going to listen to yours and see what mods you have and see if it sounds simalar.

Comment

Yours on the stock exhaust sounds more high pitched thsn mine, what size Dynomax is that? I know mine is alot deeper being Cammed and having RK Sport headers and 3" exhaust with the 3" dynomax with a 3" turn down, but even mine with my vid camara pics up high pitched sounds that are not there when you hear it in person. So I need a sound studio to get the real effect of mine.LOL

Comment

I just put on a dynomax super turbo a little while ago... Ended up using the stock 2.25" pipe, and it sounds amazing... I only get a rasp when I rev up to about 5k at a stop, otherwise it's nothing but amazing sound when I'm on the road...

Comment

With larger exhaust pipe your rasp will go away if you use 3" exhaust and 3" Dynomax turbo muffler. I have no rasp to 6000 rpms just a nice exhaust tone. Guys at Nappa were checking it out and said it sounded good when you rolled up, we thought it wasa LT1. I laughed and said nope just a little sixer, soon to be turboed. They just said thats a all around nice car that been taken care of well. I just said thanks and left with doing a little heavy on the throttle going sideways a bit and chirping 2nd. Sometimes you got to give a show for the fans.LOL

Comment

I just installed a Borla XS with an ANSA resonated tip. No rasp, none! It is just a little bit louder than stock and to be honest, I'm not sure I I like it yet as I was wanting it a bit louder although it does have real nice tone in the lower rpms. FYI, it's a single 2.25 all the way back, no dual outlet muffler. I'm looking into a new hi flo cat or perhaps eliminating the ANSA tip. It is going to the exhaust shop today so I'll post back...

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Andy H
                                Hello everyone!
                                by Andy H
                                Its been a while since I've been on the forum. Hope everyone is doing well. I still have my camaro! Unfortunately, the slave cylinder and clutch has went...
                                2 weeks ago
                              • 3.4 slow to go
                                hey there strangers!
                                by 3.4 slow to go
                                been a while but looks like i'm back in the game thanks to my brother. he went and bought an'02 bird, and since i'm a technician at the nissan place...
                                3 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X