electric cutoffs: dumb questions.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• electric cutoffs: dumb questions.

has anyone ever riged there electric cutoffs to open up at high RPM? not that im planing to do it i was just curious.and is a cutoff/header combo pointliss insted of useing stok headers and cutoffs or headers and a regular exaust?

Re: electric cutoffs: dumb questions.

I assume you mean cutout. I suppose you could rig a WOT switch to your electric cutout like some do for nitrous.

And I don't understand the second question
    sigpic
    1996 Chevrolet Camaro
    1995 Buick Park Avenue Ultra
    --Appearance Moderator--

Comment

I was thinking like a window switch, but I don't know how long it takes to open. And the 2nd question, in therory, it seems like cutoffs would cancel out any effect headers would have while there open. I'm probably wrong, now that I think about it headers would probably still help with the volosity a lot. I was just thinking about back pressure, bacause with cutoffs it would be gone weather you have headers or not. I looked on youtube for 3.4 camaros, and i came across the guy's camaro who made that most "insite on the 3.4." he has the 3400 top end camed with headers and cutoffs, and it sounds like a beast.

Comment

they take about 1.5 seconds to open, but when the motors start to fade after use, it sometimes takes longer. you could very easily rig it up to open as a WOT switch works like what has already been said. i just prefer my regular elec. cutout switch though.
        Dave:
        00 Supercharged Camaro - RIP
        97 Turbo Camaro - Sold

Comment

I have a question for you dmw319 my electric cutout never seems to fully close even when its closed and I give it some gas it opens up just a little and I can hear the blockoff plate rattling everytime I step on the gas do you know the reason for that

Comment

Like i said, niik000, it's cutout not cutoff. Headers will still have the same effect with the cutout, and I assume you're not going to be driving around all the time with it open anyway, hence why you are getting an electric one, so you'll still have the extra power when the rest of the system is hooked up as well.

eric, did it close fully when you originally installed it? You may want to check to see that nothing is preventing it from closing, (carbon build up, dirt, burs on the metal, etc).
            sigpic
            1996 Chevrolet Camaro
            1995 Buick Park Avenue Ultra
            --Appearance Moderator--

Comment

Originally posted by niik000
              I was thinking like a window switch, but I don't know how long it takes to open. And the 2nd question, in therory, it seems like cutoffs would cancel out any effect headers would have while there open. I'm probably wrong, now that I think about it headers would probably still help with the volosity a lot. I was just thinking about back pressure, bacause with cutoffs it would be gone weather you have headers or not. I looked on youtube for 3.4 camaros, and i came across the guy's camaro who made that most "insite on the 3.4." he has the 3400 top end camed with headers and cutoffs, and it sounds like a beast.
              To be honest, don't get a WOT switch. You will be happy with just having a switch trust me.

The reason I like an ELECTRIC cutout, is because you can have it open, closed, and everywhere in between... and it isn't just "open" and "closed" there is a little bit of a gradient. I like keeping it slightly open. Closed enough so there isn't any rasp, but open enough so it is deeper/louder/smoother.

Comment

I like them bacause you can turn them off around cops. I think if I did exaust I would do headers to a pair of small cheep mufflers in the back with dual tips.

Comment

Get some pacesetter headers and slp loudmouth cat back you should be pretty happy. You wont have to worry about what to do with the cutout switch and when to cut it on and off. Cops usually dont pay as much attention to a load f body compared to a honda. If you ever get pulled just cut the car off. I have flammed exhaust so thats the setup I chose. Whatever you do with exhaust can always be fixed so try some things out.

Comment

Just how much speed did you pick up with the loud exhausts? Coming from a Honda background, my car appeared loud although it was only intake noise.(removing intake baffles FTW) Dude, I love being fast and Quiet. At least I'm not screaming CLOCK ME all the time now...
                    2002 Navy Blue Metallic Blue Firebird A4
                    Pure stock (Hey, just bought it 11/07)

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Andy H
                      Hello everyone!
                      by Andy H
                      Its been a while since I've been on the forum. Hope everyone is doing well. I still have my camaro! Unfortunately, the slave cylinder and clutch has went...
                      3 weeks ago
                    • 3.4 slow to go
                      hey there strangers!
                      by 3.4 slow to go
                      been a while but looks like i'm back in the game thanks to my brother. he went and bought an'02 bird, and since i'm a technician at the nissan place...
                      3 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X