Review - Flowtech Warlock 3" in/out muffler with removable silencer - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Review - Flowtech Warlock 3" in/out muffler with removable silencer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Review - Flowtech Warlock 3" in/out muffler with removable silencer

So, I finally went through and finished my exhaust setup, after doing my head and cam swap. I have ported and polished heads with a .460 lift cam, pacesetter headers, 3" in/out Magnaflow Carsound cat and 3" dynomax 3" piping to the muffler. I also have a Cold Air intake comprised of a metal tube down to a K&N in my fenderwell.

I had done the dynomax 3" piping and originally went with the summit turbo 3" in/out single outlet muffler. The sound was pretty deep and mellow with little to no rasp at all. Unknown to me at the time of purchase was the 2.5" inner piping diameter though. I wanted 3" all the way through with no bottleneck, so I decided to be brave and try something not done on a V6 before...

I went with a Flowtech Warlock 3" in/out muffler with a built-in dump. Basically, it's an off-set single inlet and outlet turbo-design muffler with the dump located directly across from the inlet. The initial inlet piping is not perforated, but rather has a hole on one side to allow the hot exhaust gases to be deflected by the removable blockoff plate. Removing the plate makes the muffler virtually bypassed through for the track and no restriction. It's made very well and comes with a ribbed case for reduced resonation. Don't confuse it for a Flowmaster.

With the plate in place, the sound is very similar to the Summit turbo muffler with a little bit of rasp on a cold startup if you rev it to hell. once the engine and the pipes warm up, there is barely any rasp at all, like the Summit muffler. Idle sounds mellow but nice and deep. Under WOT, it's deep and sounds pretty unrestricted. Cruising on the highway lets out a little bit of drone, moreso than the summit muffler. One thing I need to make clear, it will not try to make your car sound like a V8, but it makes the V6 sound great in my opinion. 2000-3000RPM it sounds very deep with a little bit of "V8" burble, and 3500-6000RPM it still sounds crisp and doesn't break up like a Flowmaster.

Overall I give the sound with the plate in place a 9/10.

With the plate removed it's similar to a cutout. Driving around it's very loud and sounds very raw and a little bit raspy WOT.. You'll either hate the sound or love it. If you put it on a V6, there will be absolutely no mistaking the car for a V8 in terms of sound. I think it sounds sinister with it's uninhibited popping and backfiring under deceleration.

The rasp is there up high with the plate removed, but it doesn't sound like the flowmaster's "weedwhacking a folgers can" sound. There's no rasp to be confused with a rattle or a cough, rather it's a raw "poppitabangabangapoppapopop", not a "blauchugachucoughachafartclunk" like Flowmaster.

Mid-range WOT it's very deep almost like a properly done V6 Import's exhaust, but a little but less tame.

With the plate removed, I'd give it a 7/10. Sounds cool to me, but of course as to be expected, way too loud for daily driving. High-RPM rasp is there, but not bothersome to me. The plate is easily put back into place though with its 3 wing nuts.

An overall great product, I'd recommend this muffler to anyone looking for a deep sound with the option of making a little noise without having to drop the muffler. Overall it gets a 9/10 on my 5Speed '97 Camaro. Big improvement as far as power over the Summit, I wouldn't doubt I picked up another 1/10 in the 1/4.

Sound clips this week.
    Last edited by JohnnyC; 01-10-2008, 09:48 AM.
    \'97 Camaro M5 Y87 3.23 LSD, homebrew CAI, highfloCat, Flowmaster catback, Pacesetter headers, specstage3 clutch and aluminum flywheel, !egr, 2kW system.<br /><br />Possible L67 bottom end w/ abbott heads and a turbo in the works... gotta do more homework

Re: Review - Flowtech Warlock 3&quot; in/out muffler with removable silencer

I'll be looking forward to the sound clip.
    1996 Camaro. \"RedKnight\" on MOFBA.org.

Comment

do they make them in 2.5'' and how big is it? do you think i would be able to fit it under the car for when i do my true duals?

edit: i looked it up and it's only 4.5'' thick.

I think i found the muffler i want to use for when i do my duals :D
      thanks
      Last edited by Meatyshells; 01-13-2008, 02:07 PM.

Abbott long tubes,homemade true duals,slp ram air,whisper lid,eibach springs,kyb shocks,BMR subframe connectors, BMR LCA reloc brackets,BMR LCAs. T-top/manual converted

Comment

nevermind it's too thick to use for duals :(

Abbott long tubes,homemade true duals,slp ram air,whisper lid,eibach springs,kyb shocks,BMR subframe connectors, BMR LCA reloc brackets,BMR LCAs. T-top/manual converted

Comment

comes in I believe 2.25" - 3". I have a sound clip on youTube my member name = haxdnet. I need to do a better one, distortion on my camera's audio. I'll post a link
          \'97 Camaro M5 Y87 3.23 LSD, homebrew CAI, highfloCat, Flowmaster catback, Pacesetter headers, specstage3 clutch and aluminum flywheel, !egr, 2kW system.<br /><br />Possible L67 bottom end w/ abbott heads and a turbo in the works... gotta do more homework

Comment

Yikes, cant even hear the car over the distortion..... was that the open or closed setup?

Comment

if you pull the camera off 2 the side or further away it will not get the distortion

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Andy H
                Hello everyone!
                by Andy H
                Its been a while since I've been on the forum. Hope everyone is doing well. I still have my camaro! Unfortunately, the slave cylinder and clutch has went...
                2 weeks ago
              • 3.4 slow to go
                hey there strangers!
                by 3.4 slow to go
                been a while but looks like i'm back in the game thanks to my brother. he went and bought an'02 bird, and since i'm a technician at the nissan place...
                3 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
              Working...
              X