X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ditching a cat?

Ok i do not have a cat on my exhuast setup

Ive read around and here is a few things ive read:

"Ditching your cat, kills your gas milage" If this is true how so?
    "Ditching your cat, gives you more hp, but a little less torque" Again if true how so?

"Ditching your cat, kills your higher rpm speed" IF so again how is this true

again i know nothing about cats, or exhaust just basics.so can you guys explain?

Mods:
    Slp Dual Cold Air Intake
    Racing Stripes
    Flowmaster Exhaust [2.5 Pipes, Flowmaster 80 Series Muffler]
    Camaro Fill Ins
    Black Outs
    Tint

Re: Ditching a cat?

Well a rule of thumb i've come across is that stock cats are usually somewhat restrictive. So removing it would allow better flow and in turn logicly let you make more power, and with more power comes more fuel use. I've never heard of lsing tq but gaining hp though.. just by losing the cat. and as for the higher rpm band, i would think better flow would help it..

Comment

it will not hurt your gas miliage. your car will be come more free flowing when it comes to your exhaust which will help you out a little bit. nothing noticable

having no cat can give you a couple more hp since there is less air restriction. and If your exhaust is too freeflowing, you loose backpressure which effects low end torque.

i don't know how it will effect the speed but the back pressure issue will end at higher where exhaust velocity will overcome the tendency for reversion.

read this. it explans exhaust very well

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/car-ex...ns-channel.htm
      WAWA-A-HOLIC

Comment

the o2 sensor in front of the cat reads air/fuel ratio, the one behind it tells the computer if the cat is working properly. every once in a while my check engine light comes on because of this so i just keep reading and clearing the code.

Comment

just get an o2 sim and then you won't see that code anymore
          WAWA-A-HOLIC

Comment

Actually on my SUV the cat was going bad and I got a new one put on per federal law that they will last 80k miles. My gas milage dropped in it and the only thing that was really diffrent was the fact that I added a K&N filter which in theory woulda got me a little bit better gas mileage. So I don't see how having no cat will hurt gas milage but help it because its more free flowing.
            Originally posted by kala
            I'll have buttsecks with Richard Simmons!

TEAM BLACK!!!
            parting her out

Comment

Originally posted by kristen
              If your exhaust is too freeflowing, you loose backpressure which effects low end torque.
              I've always dreamt about a world where this fallacy ends.

O.P.
              Engine mods and vehicle speed have really nothing to do with each other. The engine has no idea how fast the car is going. You could have 2.29 gears, or 4.60 gears. Both have very different mph/rpm relations.
              Last edited by greasemonkey; 01-08-2008, 02:54 PM.

Comment

She's talking about the torque band of the engine. nothing to do with your mph.

Comment

Originally posted by greasemonkey
                  O.P.
                  Engine mods and vehicle speed have really nothing to do with each other. The engine has no idea how fast the car is going. You could have 2.29 gears, or 4.60 gears. Both have very different mph/rpm relations.
                  ???

So let me get this streight, all these performance mods that people do, don't actually make our cars faster?
                  2000 White Firebird <br />K&N Filter, Aluminum Driveshaft<br /><br />95 White Firebird - Laid to Rest<br />K&N FIPK, Flowmaster Exhaust, Jet Chip

Comment

Originally posted by greasemonkey
                    say what now.....
                    WAWA-A-HOLIC

Comment

[QUOTE=greasemonkey]I've always dreamt about a world where this fallacy ends. [\QUOTE]

Read this sticky: http://forum.camarov6.com/showthread.php?t=77275

It's about understanding the VELOCITY.
                      Lower backpressure is good, UNLESS there is also a decrease in velocity.

Confused yet?

IMHO, no cat should be better, mpg, low end torque, and top end. BECAUSE the backpressure is lowered and velocity should be unchanged. (unless you do the cat delete with a 5" pipe!) :omg:
                      2002 Navy Blue Metallic Blue Firebird A4
                      Pure stock (Hey, just bought it 11/07)

Comment

^ .... I agree. And I know that. Just like I said - It is wrong to assume that lower backpressure kills torque. Torque only starts to fall off if the exhaust slows down. Did I once say otherwise?

Originally posted by zymose
                        ???
                        So let me get this streight, all these performance mods that people do, don't actually make our cars faster?
                        Thats not what I said. Your referring to acceleration. I'm saying you could redline at 50 mph in first gear, or you could redline at 35 mph in first gear. It all depends on your rear ratio (and trans ratio, but those are less commonly changed). So, therefore, engine power/torque and vehicle speed (how fast the car is going) are not directly related. Really it doesn't matter anyways, since I misread the OP's post - which was a reference to rpm speed, not vehicle speed. And voodoo corrected me on this already.
                        Last edited by greasemonkey; 01-10-2008, 11:34 AM.

Comment

That post wasn't directed at you Greasemonkey, I was agreeing with you ! :)
                          2002 Navy Blue Metallic Blue Firebird A4
                          Pure stock (Hey, just bought it 11/07)

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Andy H
                            Hello everyone!
                            by Andy H
                            Its been a while since I've been on the forum. Hope everyone is doing well. I still have my camaro! Unfortunately, the slave cylinder and clutch has went...
                            2 weeks ago
                          • 3.4 slow to go
                            hey there strangers!
                            by 3.4 slow to go
                            been a while but looks like i'm back in the game thanks to my brother. he went and bought an'02 bird, and since i'm a technician at the nissan place...
                            2 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X