pipe size VS exhaust tip size

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pipe size VS exhaust tip size

sorry to be asking so many questions lately, but i was wondering how much trouble it would be for a shop to put 2.25 tips on a 2.5 pipe... ive found some decent tips i like at autozone, but they are 2.25.

id hate to put the exhaust guy through alot of trouble, but if its not a big problem it would be great.

Re: pipe size VS exhaust tip size

Remember exhaust is only as good as its smallest diameter.

Comment

ah yes thats true... im looking for some stainless steel slanted tips... autozone has some ones that appear to go on a truck and are about 16-18 inches long... would that look tacky or no?

thanks for the reply! didnt figure anyone would read this that late lmao :)

Comment

an exhaust shop can swedge those tips for a couple bucks

Comment

Originally posted by mellowout
          ah yes thats true... im looking for some stainless steel slanted tips... autozone has some ones that appear to go on a truck and are about 16-18 inches long... would that look tacky or no?

thanks for the reply! didnt figure anyone would read this that late lmao :)
          Any exterior showing part from autozone = :spank:

Comment

Shouldn't be too bad to have them put on.

True an exhaust system is only as good as it's smallest diameter, but by the way you say "tips" I assume there are two pipes. Two 2.25" pipes aren't going to hurt you any when the largest widely accepted size of exhaust is a single 3" pipe.

Now, if you are talking about a single pipe, I say dual[quad] tips or no tips.
            sigpic
            1996 Chevrolet Camaro
            1995 Buick Park Avenue Ultra
            --Appearance Moderator--

Comment

Originally posted by xmetallicaxguitaristx
              Any exterior showing part from autozone = :spank:
              hehe well at least i didnt buy those fake spinner-hubcaps.... then id have to make my car a tree bracelet :D

i appreciate yalls help, i think im just gonna go with the first tips instead of the monstrous 16 inch tip :).

Comment

You can always cut down the monster 16" tips.
                Doug<br />1996 Camaro RS M5 Y87<br />SLP Bilstein shocks, Eibach springs, 1LE frt/rear sway bars

Comment

Autozone tips WILL rust on you. They look good when you first buy them but man they look shi!tty after a few weeks

Comment

I don't know man you should probably go for bigger tips. At least 2.5 inches if thats what the size of the piping is going to be. If you put 2.5 piping and 2.25 inch tips it will only create a bottleneck effect and possibly even make your exhaust more restricted than it already was. That combo will also most likely give your exhaust almost a farting noise when you rev. Due to the size of the piping and the size of the tip.

Comment

dude just get tips from whoever you bought your exhaust from (i.e. flowmaster, magnaflow, borla, etc...) they're like 30-50 bucks but you get what you pay for.

Comment

agree with ^

If you can spend a lil more, get stainless steel tips. Those last a nice while. No rust and very little maintanance needed on em. Like tmon930 said, you usually get what you pay for.

Comment

Boral tips will look good for years. My Borla is 10yrs old and looks just as good as new.

http://www.borla.com/products/product_multi_detail.aspx?cat=3&type=57&desc=Polis hed+Tips|Single+Round+Intercooled
                          69 Camaro 350 4spd, Full Hotchkis susp, Baer brakes, moser 12 bolt, Flowmaster<br /><br />96 RS Hotchkis STB, subframe connectors, Hotchkis LCA and adj Panhard rod, SS camaro sway bars, Bilstein shocks, powerslot rotors, Borla exhaust, rksport headers, k@nFIPK

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Andy H
                            Hello everyone!
                            by Andy H
                            Its been a while since I've been on the forum. Hope everyone is doing well. I still have my camaro! Unfortunately, the slave cylinder and clutch has went...
                            2 weeks ago
                          • 3.4 slow to go
                            hey there strangers!
                            by 3.4 slow to go
                            been a while but looks like i'm back in the game thanks to my brother. he went and bought an'02 bird, and since i'm a technician at the nissan place...
                            2 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X