Popping/Rattling in Exhaust

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Popping/Rattling in Exhaust

While driving my car, I've always heard a slight rattle/popping sound that was vaguely ricerish while driving my car. Only happens when I let off the throttle to shift or something of that nature. Never really thought of it 'til today, when I let my friend drive my car and I heard it as he was going by. Sounded really ricer. Thing is, only thing I've done is add a high flow cat and a single outlet flowmaster exhaust. Any ideas why it sounds so horrible?

Re: Popping/Rattling in Exhaust

I've heard a similar sound while down-shifting without double-clutching. I'm thinking it's because the transmission is spinning the engine instead of vice-versa.

Comment

Any other thoughts?

Comment

I don't know, mine does the same thing... I actually like it. *shrug*

Comment

its the sound from the flowmaster and the backpressure... nothing you can do about it. Enjoy it or forget about it.
          Welcome future UK stars... Darius Miller, Deandre Liggins, Kevin Galloway, Josh Harrellson

Comment

My dad's Bronco did that for some time. Thing would hum and pop while downshifting or coasting in neutral. Turned out to be an exhaust leak near the manifold. Might be a different story for an f-bod, but check the welds near the cat or muffler to see if there are any leaks or loose connections. Not sure how the hi-flow cat or flowmaster will sound specifically on your car, but it's something else quick and easy to check.
            Last edited by pace2006; 01-05-2008, 01:38 AM.
            '99 Camaro
            '04 Saab 9-3 Aero
            '90 Audi Coupe Quattro

Comment

Deffinatly the flowmaster and the high flow cat. StrtRacer98 had the same set up on his 97.
              1995 Patriot Red T-Topped Z28 A4<br /><br />Mystery rebuild in progress.<br /><br />Soon to have 383 ways to beat KBreezy and Shane. :D

Comment

I think I heard or someone explained to me that it was something to do with left over gas residue igniting after the exhaust port or something. Probably wrong but I can't remember exactly what it was.

Comment

Originally posted by xmetallicaxguitaristx
                  I think I heard or someone explained to me that it was something to do with left over gas residue igniting after the exhaust port or something. Probably wrong but I can't remember exactly what it was.
                  that's the popping sound, i get a lot of that, especially when the car is still cold with my magnaflow catback... the rattling is just going to happen every now and then no matter what, it's an aftermarket exhaust, it's not going to be perfect... just enjoy the popping, i know i do haha... :rock:

Comment

I used to have a rattle similar to what you described but it was my high flow cat falling apart.
                    1999 Firebird Black<br />A4 3.08 gears<br />Mods: Carbon Fiber Whisper Lid, Raised Air Box, K&N Air Filter, Direct Hits Ignition, Flowmaster American Thunder 3\", 160 Degree Hypertech Thermostat, SLP Fan Switch, 3\" High Flow Cat<br /><a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/member_pages/view_page.pl?page_id=273903\" target=\"_blank\">My car on Cardomain</a>

Comment

I often heard a tinging sound coming from the rear of my car. Maybe the same problem? I sure hope its the exhaust, I am replacing the exhaust soon. If it is not the exhaust, it could be the differential.

Comment

It is indeed raw exhaust. I took off my cat last week, and put on a 90degree down angle from the header (temporarily to see what was up with it) and when I drove by my friend at night, he said he saw flashes of fire when it popped. This only happened when I down-shifted or coasted. In any case the cat is back on and I don't worry about it.

EDIT: It did not sound good without the full exhaust. This was only a temp mod. :)

Comment

I'd have to hear it but if it were my car I would start by getting sum new plugs, gut the cat, and reinstall stock muffler. One thing at a time till it went away.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Andy H
                            Hello everyone!
                            by Andy H
                            Its been a while since I've been on the forum. Hope everyone is doing well. I still have my camaro! Unfortunately, the slave cylinder and clutch has went...
                            2 weeks ago
                          • 3.4 slow to go
                            hey there strangers!
                            by 3.4 slow to go
                            been a while but looks like i'm back in the game thanks to my brother. he went and bought an'02 bird, and since i'm a technician at the nissan place...
                            3 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X