Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: !!egr

well....
    In the Editor it says: "Above this inlet air temp, EGR diagnostics are enabled"
    In the help file it says: "Inlet Air Temp above which EGR is enabled."
    Guess I'll believe the help file?
    2k2 camaro, K&N, SLP whisper lid, Konis, AEM, HP Tuners, Angel eyes/Halos, CF SS ram air hood, 4.10s, Zexel Torsen, UMI SFCs, CrossFire, BFGs, Gatorback, Catco, Flows, and TLC! DONT feed the Trolls!

Comment

does anyone have any data showing that the egr is causing problems being unhooked? ive been driving with mine unhooked for awhile now and i ran almost 2 tenths faster with it off, i have an electronic one and only mayby 10 mins between passes becuase i got there right around 5pm and hardly anyone had shown up yet. my car is bone stock right now though not sure how it would effect a modified car but they used to run without then for years before emissions and the engines worked fine *shrug*

Comment

Originally posted by jerryd87
        does anyone have any data showing that the egr is causing problems being unhooked?
        2nd post

Originally posted by BLLDOGG
        your car is designed to have the small amount of recirculated gas at times to lower combustion chamber temp below 2500 degrees in the hope to prevent NOX, a cause of smog. not having the egr gases when your computer thinks it should be there will cause spark knock, overheating and especially emission test failure. it also says with excessive NOX emissions, concerns may include engine pinging or detonation, engine over heating and lack of power.

I just learned this today in class. Might have heard it in vo-tech but I sure as heck do not remember. might as well keep it up for people to see.

might check out this book...its awesome. For someone like you, who cares, I think you would really like it
        http://www.bordersstores.com/search/...chType=Keyword

I myself have the tube unhooked from the header which means I'm running lean when the EGR is engaged. the o2s might be picking it up and adjusting which means I'm lucky but in my circumstance, you will usually run lean out of parameters and get a code. I will be fighting the Devil himself in trying to get that thing hooked back up. I have noticed some lose in power and fuel economy in the time frame of when i did this.

Comment

yah i read that already, not saying anyones wrong or anything, ive just personally experienced more power and gas millage having it unhooked, granted with the check engine light on but i already passed echeck this year, and i havnt had any pinging, knocking or anything the the operating temp has stayed the same. mayby my car is a rare case that it dosnt bother it?

Comment

i blocked my egr off and i dont throw code till 65mph and i havent noticed anything

Comment

But what if you program it out of your computer or get a SIM? Then is it still worst to run w-out the EGR than with it?
              ~97 3.8L V6 Camaro~
              A few things

Only Member of Team Hooker?!?

Comment

Originally posted by RadRacer
                But what if you program it out of your computer or get a SIM? Then is it still worst to run w-out the EGR than with it?
                If you can tune the computer, you can do whatever the hell you want to your car and it will run fine.

Comment

can some one post a pic of the egr idk where its at but by yall saying yall unhooked it, im guessing its that small cylinder connected to the header right?

Comment

That would be it. Has a tube connecting to the intake manifold too right where the thermostat is.
                    Team NoVa

2000 Firebird- Intake, Pacesetters, !cat, full 2.5 to flowcrapster, 1.9 rockers, LS6 springs and Intense modded retainers, WS6 speedlines, T/A bumpers and hatch, 5 spd swapped, SOON TO BE nitrous'd and cammed.

Comment

what does the egr exactly do ?

Comment

It takes the burnt gases and recirculates it back through the intake.
                        08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
                        96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Originally posted by FIREBIRDV6RAGE View Post
                          what does the egr exactly do ?
                          Exhaust Gas recirculation is the abrieviation. It takes some exhaust gas and feeds it back into your cylinders. It reduces the amount of NOx that is produced from the combustion that way emission standards are met. I personally think it's pointless **** emissions...:cool:
                          Last edited by xgongiveittoya44; 10-02-2012, 08:39 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Originally posted by xgongiveittoya44 View Post
                            Exhaust Gas recirculation is the abrieviation. It takes some exhaust gas and feeds it back into your cylinders. It reduces the amount of NOx that is produced from the combustion that way emission standards are met. I personally think it's pointless **** emissions...:cool:
                            so if i remove it nothing will happen cuz mine looks kinda old lol i was thinking of replacing it too but now im like ??? should i

Comment

The EGR recirculates a certain amount of spent exhaust gas into the intake tract, but nly during part throttle and lower load situations. If I'm not mistaken, when you go above a certain throttle position and into higher load situations, the EGR shuts back off.

Most of the GM V8's from 2001-up do not have the EGR due to the fact it was not needed to meet emissions requirements. Cam phasers are not the reason why though. GM only uses cam phasers on V8's that have Active Fuel Management, and these engines use them to broaden the power curve while using a smaller camshaft.

If you're in the process of rebuilding an L36, you can take a few steps when you're building it up to not only increase power, but reduce emissions, and therefore the need for the EGR system.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Andy H
                                Hello everyone!
                                by Andy H
                                Its been a while since I've been on the forum. Hope everyone is doing well. I still have my camaro! Unfortunately, the slave cylinder and clutch has went...
                                3 weeks ago
                              • 3.4 slow to go
                                hey there strangers!
                                by 3.4 slow to go
                                been a while but looks like i'm back in the game thanks to my brother. he went and bought an'02 bird, and since i'm a technician at the nissan place...
                                3 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X