How to make a s-pipe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to make a s-pipe

I know everyone asks this, so when i switched from my non mandrel bent i figure i should prob snap a few shots.

You exhuast is only as big as you smallest point, the stock s-pipe is 2 1/4. so if you upgrade to a 3 in exhuast(tsp or loudmouth for example), this is what you can do along with a 3in cat, straight pipe, or whatever you want in place of the cat to make a true full 3 in exhuast. this will make it noticibly deeper, too.

Ok so at this point it is assumed the stock cat is cut off, and you have something in its place. Also that the cat, resonator, or pipe is fitted on the y pipe. I already had the rear of the exhuast installed(only the after the axle part), which makes it a little easier.

Tools:
    Basic Wrenches and socket(if you have clamps or are using them)
    Sawzall or similar to cut metal
    Welder

First you start out with a u bend pipe, make sure it is mandrel bent. This means the pipe stays the same radius through the bend, regular bends like you find at local shop wrinkle the inside and shink the pipe. heres a link to on from jegs for 30 bucks shipped(3in dia, 5in radius):
    http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/store...tegoryId=13895

The first thing you have to do is cut it in half

Flip one side up and theres you s-pipe

This is an optional step. i used a pipe expander(17 bucks shipped off ebay) to expand one end to give me a little more meat to weld
    Last edited by BLLDOGG; 01-31-2007, 06:36 PM.
    <a href=\"http://cardomain.com/id/articacid\" target=\"_blank\">2002 35th Anniv. Black Camaro M5</a><br />Mods: Carsound Cat, SLP Loudmouth, Whisper Lid w/ K&N, J&M LCA\'s, ST Springs, eD Stereo(146.7 dB)<br />\'88 K1500 305 V8 Auto(Winter)

Re: How to make a s-pipe

Notice it now fits inside the other pipe

Next slip the s-pipe into the cat or whatever you have and mark how much you have to cut off the s-pipe, so it will have clearance. At this point youll want to slip the i pipe on and mark where youll have to cut it there. it helps if you have the rear section on so you can connect the whole system together. this will help you make sure you have clearance everywhere and youll know exactly how much you have to cut off the s-pipe. Make your cuts on the s-pipe and re-test fit it. At this point i put a few tack welds from the i to s pipe to make sure it stays perfectly aligned. then pull the i and s pipe off together and finish the welds.
    This is what it should look like when done, this is with a slp loudmouth:

Slip the S-pipe in first and then the back of the i pipe in. then clamp it or weld it all together. I clamped the cat(i actually have a bullet on mine) on both sides so i can easily remove it if i want.

To hang the s-pipe when you removed the stock pipe theres a bracket that you had to unbolt it from. Simple take a decently thick piece of metal about 1-1.5 inches wide, and about 3 inches long and bend it in the shape of a L. Drill a hole in it and bolt it to the bracket. then put a pipe clamp on and slip the other side of the L bent piece under the clamp and tighten it.
    Last edited by BLLDOGG; 01-31-2007, 06:36 PM.
    <a href=\"http://cardomain.com/id/articacid\" target=\"_blank\">2002 35th Anniv. Black Camaro M5</a><br />Mods: Carsound Cat, SLP Loudmouth, Whisper Lid w/ K&N, J&M LCA\'s, ST Springs, eD Stereo(146.7 dB)<br />\'88 K1500 305 V8 Auto(Winter)

Comment

Sticky! :tup:
      1998 M5 3.8 Mystic Teal Camaro<br />Flowmaster exhaust, Pacesetter headers, 3\" cat, 3\" S-pipe, whisper lid, ram air, Spec Stage 1 clutch, Poly Trans mount, Walbro 255LPH. Numerous appearance mods.<br /><br /> <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2130533\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2130533</a>

Comment

Will be added to FAQ. good job. We need more stuff like this.
        2000 3.8 A4 Pewter Camaro

Comment

Thanx guys, i always try to help! I know how hard it can be jumping into something and not really being sure what your doing. I wish i had a little more time to shoot some more pics. I still have to get a good underbody shot of it all done.

It kept raining while i was doing it so i was kinda rushed in between spouts.

Comment

sweet deal man i was hoping to find one i need to make one for my exhaust when i get it :tup:
            <a href=\"http://photobucket.com/albums/a371/boyoi/firebird/?sc=1\" target=\"_blank\">My FireBird</a> K&N intake,Gutted cat, glass pack muffler.........Lots more to come...... <br />Getting my exhaust soon :)Rumbler Exhaust w/ Hooker\'s Headers :)

Comment

Thank you , that was really helpful ,
              I knew about U - band , but what makes this writeup good is the dimensions and pipe expander tool, Ive got it ordered same minute I read this post :)

Comment

just what i did! nice...
                Dave:
                00 Supercharged Camaro - RIP
                97 Turbo Camaro - Sold

Comment

dam it pics dont work!!!

Comment

Damn it thread from 5 years ago

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• ssms5411
                      Had to get another phone
                      by ssms5411
                      Well my iPhone 11 Pro Max took a dump, it’s in a boot up loop, will try and get it fixed and give it to my mom. So I got a new iPhone 15 pro max, everything...
                      1 week ago
                    • ssms5411
                      Leaking front cover
                      by ssms5411
                      So I’m still leaking coolant, I think it’s my front cover, going to double check when it’s alittle warmer, got the Zzp extra thick timing cover...
                      2 weeks ago
                    • transamtom1
                      Went to look at 2002 V6 Firebird Vert.
                      by transamtom1
                      Local car on a small lot just over 100k mikes(178,000 kms)

Silver with grey leather and black top 3.8L for $5400 cdn or $3975 usd as is....
                      3 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X