Quietest setup possible

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quietest setup possible

Alright...I've been looking through some of the old threads with discussions on resonators, mufflers, and whatnot and I've learned a few things.

My goal is to have the quietest exhaust note as I possibly can (98 bird, 3.8). Would a combination of a resonator, high-flow cat, and dynomax super turbo muffler be sufficient?

I'm in no way, shape, or form trying to get a deep rumble or immitate the sound of an 8 (even at idle). I'll want it to sound like an 8 when I toss in an LS1.

I've also been reading some contradicting reports of how a resonator is supposed to cut down on rice, whereas others will say that it does just the opposite. Can someone settle the issue once and for all?

Thanks in advance,
    Hawk

PS. I don't have a bird yet, but I'm getting one shipped up from Florida in July from a family friend. Sorry if some of you are offended because I don't currently own an F-body. I'm just trying to educate myself before I make a decision.

LEAVE IT STOCK!

"Money can't buy me happiness, but I'm happiest when I can buy what I want"
    05' CTS-V
    00' Camaro - SOLD :(

Comment

so he searched and is preplanning mods on the f bod he's about to get. Sounds like a winner to me [img]graemlins/bowdown.gif[/img]
      HE SEARCHED!

Comment

leave it with a stock catback and get an electric cutout. Quiet when you want..and loud when you want, check out the link in my sig for more info
        This revelation, is the death of ignorance...<br /><a href=\"http://www.quicktimeperformance.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.quicktimeperformance.com</a>

Comment

i agree with the electric cutout, but if you want the looks of a dual exhaust get the muffler off a trans am or z28. And dude dont worry about anyone being offended that you dont have an F-body yet, glad to here you decided to get one... you wont be dissapointed ;) .
          2001 Arctic White Firebird With Black Drop Top<br /><br />3:42 Gears<br />Zexel LSD<br />BMR upper A-Arms<br />Trans Am exhaust with 3\" I-pipe and cutout<br />Modified intake<br />Mecham Hood<br />Trans Go shift kit<br />Making rear control arms and panhard

Comment

Definatly go with the muffler off a Trans Am or Z28, very quiet, very nice looking.
            <b> \'95 Camaro 3.4L A4 <i>Rikku</i><br />AutoX - Drift - Street </b><br />\"Sideways is faster.\"

Comment

Originally posted by Brett Garret:
              Definatly go with the muffler off a Trans Am or Z28, very quiet, very nice looking.
              Negative, a stock SS muffler can still be kinda loud. I would also say stay stock, with a electric cut-out.
              Jordan<br />15.09@90.7<br /><a href=\"http://www.fullthrottlev6.com/forums/vbgarage.php?do=view&id=21\" target=\"_blank\"><b>1995 Camaro 3.4 M5</b></a>

Comment

An SS muffler isn't the same thing as a the regular V8 muffler.

Disclaimer: I assume you want to increase flow, while retaining stock-like audible levels.

You're going to want a stock V8 muffler if you really want it quiet. A highflow cat is going to increase the volume a bit. The resonator will make a difference but it won't be night and day. All in all I think a carsound (magnaflow) catalytic converter into a bullet muffler and then into a V8 muffler will still be fairly quiet (although louder than stock) while giving you a decent amount of a performance gain. Make sure to replace all the piping after the catalytic with either 2.75 or 3 inch, and definitely use 45 degree bends after the catalytic converter.

If you wanted to go nuts, then you could use two or three bullet mufflers in series along where the I pipe would be and then take that into the stock V8 muffler. I have heard of some guys running setups like this on Formulas in order to be "sleepers."
                Matt<br />2000 Firebird<br /><br /><a href=\"http://www.fullthrottlev6.com/forums/index.php?\" target=\"_blank\">FullThrottleV6.com</a>

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Andy H
                  Hello everyone!
                  by Andy H
                  Its been a while since I've been on the forum. Hope everyone is doing well. I still have my camaro! Unfortunately, the slave cylinder and clutch has went...
                  2 weeks ago
                • 3.4 slow to go
                  hey there strangers!
                  by 3.4 slow to go
                  been a while but looks like i'm back in the game thanks to my brother. he went and bought an'02 bird, and since i'm a technician at the nissan place...
                  2 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                Working...
                X