RAM Air 3.4L ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RAM Air 3.4L ?

Is it possiable to route the air intake stright forward (if i have a ramair hood) and make it functional ram air? or will it ruin something?

It looks like it can be done easily

Dave
    03 Subaru WRB WRX<br />Clear parking lights<br />Autometer Phantom Boost guage

I am not sure what your hood looks like but I am sure somehting can be figured out. It will make a difference on the highway. I am sure you guys have figured out the plumbing on this with your ram air hoods.

Comment

I dont have a ram air hood yet, just wondering if i should (id only do it if i could make it a preformance gain also)..

Comment

I have a ram air hood but am not sure I understand your question. I am going to use the ram air hood for the intake after winter. For now i am keepind the reactive one on.
        James Stephens<br />Computer Network Manager<br /><br />Wings West GFX, RK Sport Spoiler, SS Custom Fiberglass Hood, Raven exhaust, Catz Headlight conversion, eibach pro kit, etc.<a href=\"http://www.angelfire.com/hi2/pimpjames\" target=\"_blank\">My car and my website :)</a> MY Car Domain Site &#0124;&#0124;

Comment

I have wondered about this also. I think what he is saying is to fabricate a set up like what is used on the actual ram air TA and ss camaros. Like make a bracket to locate a filter where the air comes into the hood. Suncoast creations make a 3.8 set up but I don't know if this will work on the 3.4. Any info is appreciated
          1995 Pontiac Firebird 3.4L <br />TA front bumper, TA rear bumper, 98-02 Honeycomb tailights, GM Ram Air hood, 2k C5 18X9.5 Corvette rims all the way around, custom autoloc shaved handles, camaro two tone interior, silver badging, clear front marker lenses, RK sport headers, gutted cat, dynomax dual exhaust, Rear disc rearend, Richmond 3.73 gears, Zexel torsen LSD, Cross drilled front rotors, 2 12\" MTX thunder 8000s, Clarion 400W amp, MTX 5 1/4 <br />Components, thunder 4262 amp, pioneer head unit, Hypertech power programmer (Yes it does exist)

Comment

ok, now don't get me wrong...i am not taking shots at ram air. The problem with ram air hoods is that the do not really work for you until you get at higher speeds, until then all the air still flows over the body regardless. i think the best way to go is COLD AIR. Cold air works at all times, it has a constant supply of a high vaccuum of cold air ALL THE TIME.
            so in my opinion, don't waste your time with ram air.
            231 (3.8L to those of you who don\'t like cubic inches) Silver Camaro<br />80 series flowmaster<br />k&n air filter<p>\"if it is good enough for the general, then it is good enough for me\"

Comment

You tell me, COLD air from inside your engine bay somewhere, or RAM COLD air from directly in front of your engine, and no matter how slow yours going, air is whooshing throw a ram airs nostrils.. experiment, run fast as you can outside, ull feel air hittin ya, and thats only like 10mph. hehe

point made?

dave

Comment

Umm, Actually, I agree with Sean.. The body lines of the stock F-Body makes it too easy for the air to go around the Ram-Air opening until you are going upwards of about 60-70.. Don't Believe me?! Get a Trans-Am WITH Ram Air, and race a Trans-Am WITHOUT Ram Air.. See WHEN the Ram Air ones pulls away.. Isn't out of the hole... Trust me.. I have done it.. :D Once the Non-Ram Air Firebird gets up to speed.. Next to the Ram Air one, it falls on its face..

As for the running thing... IF ONLY it were that easy.. You are no where as Aerodynamic as am F-Body.. :D The reason you feel the air is due to the fact that you aren't aerodynamic.. There are pockets that the air can get caught up in..

But!! This is like the Oil for Lubrication, or for cooling Arguement.. Both sides have good points.. Depends on what and who you believe.. [img]smile.gif[/img]
                2001 Cobalt Blue Hyundai Tiburon<br />Mods? Hehe.. Ofcourse.. ;)<br />15.810 @ 87.25 NEW TIME AGAIN!<br />TSR-0118 (www.TeamSR.org)<br />FORMER 1997 W68 Black Convertable Firebird Owner<br />14.723@95.65<p><br />V.P. of the 3:00 AM club.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Andy H
                  Hello everyone!
                  by Andy H
                  Its been a while since I've been on the forum. Hope everyone is doing well. I still have my camaro! Unfortunately, the slave cylinder and clutch has went...
                  2 weeks ago
                • 3.4 slow to go
                  hey there strangers!
                  by 3.4 slow to go
                  been a while but looks like i'm back in the game thanks to my brother. he went and bought an'02 bird, and since i'm a technician at the nissan place...
                  3 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                Working...
                X