Exhaust rattling...any ideas why?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exhaust rattling...any ideas why?

I just turned over 72,000 miles on my car and my exhaust is rattling. It only does it when I am stopped and usually when the engine is cold (i.e. when I crank her up in the morning). Im thinking it is my cat converter because they tend to go bad around 60 or 70k miles. Anyone else have this problem?
    1993 3.4 <br />Borla rear section<br />3 inch Catco High Flow Cat<br />2.75 inch I pipe (Picked one up from an LT-1 guy for a whole $10)<br />K&N Fipk <br />180° T-stat<br />Jet Stage II<br />10 Spoke Z28 Wheels<br />NGK\'s, Taylor Spiros<br />Mobil 1 synthetic<p>Email Viper2@chesnet.net for 4th gen replacement parts.

There are a couple of heat shields that have a tendency to shake loose and/or rust loose, resulting in a rattle. I hade to remove one near the cat a while ago because one of the joints had rusted and it was rattling. I would check those first.

Comment

I had an exhaust rattle.. turned out to be a baffle inside the muffler coming loose.

Have you noticed the exhaust sounding louder? That was what tipped me off. Replaced the muffler under warranty, problem solved.

Good luck.
      1997 silver Camaro RS<br />|T-Type Powered|<br /><a href=\"http://www.kwfbody.com\" target=\"_blank\">Looking for a local F-Body club in K/W, Ontario, Canada?</a>

Comment

You also might want to check out your exhaust hangers- if they get old the exhaust sags and can hit up against the trackbar, I believe.

cheers

Golden
        1998 Sport Gold Metallic Camaro 3.8

Comment

Anyone else have any ideas?
          1993 3.4 <br />Borla rear section<br />3 inch Catco High Flow Cat<br />2.75 inch I pipe (Picked one up from an LT-1 guy for a whole $10)<br />K&N Fipk <br />180° T-stat<br />Jet Stage II<br />10 Spoke Z28 Wheels<br />NGK\'s, Taylor Spiros<br />Mobil 1 synthetic<p>Email Viper2@chesnet.net for 4th gen replacement parts.

Comment

hey 4th gen v6, how do you like the jet stage 2?
            i'm thinking of getting it.
            did you notice a big gain in pwr?
            i think they promise something like 15-17 hp.
            how does the car run when you're not getting on it..does it mess with idle speed?
            <b>94 Firebird, 3.4 V6, Red, M5</b><br /> SLP CAI, Accel 8mm Superstock Wires, Bosch Platinum +4 Plugs, Borla Exhaust, BMR Strut Tower Brace, 180* Thermostat, B&M Ripper Shifter<br /> <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/id/94bird\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.cardomain.com/id/94bird</a>

Comment

I just fixed the same problem. I heard rattle at the same times that you did. I took my car back to the place where i had my muffler welded, and we found a small exhaust leak about six inches back from the cat. It was caused by a gm clamp that goes bad, or falls of, then gives a rattle. May not be the same thing, but it is worth checking out. :D
              231 (3.8L to those of you who don\'t like cubic inches) Silver Camaro<br />80 series flowmaster<br />k&n air filter<p>\"if it is good enough for the general, then it is good enough for me\"

Comment

i have the same problem only mine rattles when i go over 95 or so and when i stop at a light it rattles. It stops after i let it rest though, i think it's the hangers. Hope u get it fixed. by the way, what is jet stage II??
                2005 Chevrolet Corvette C6 <br />M6, Magnaflow\'s 14336<br /><a href=\"http://community.webshots.com/user/v6purplebird\" target=\"_blank\">C6 Pics</a><br /><br />Old car:<br />1996 Firebird A4<br />SLP Cold Air Intake<br />Magnaflow Catback Exhaust<br />Magnaflow Catalytic Converter<br /><br />George Mason University<br />CEIE Major<br />Pi Kappa Alpha<br /><br /><a href=\"http://members.cardomain.com/nsolano\" target=\"_blank\">Firebird Pics </a>

Comment

the double walled y-pipe has a tendency to rattle when the pipes becom seperated making one think the noise is at the cat when it is not.

Comment

I figured it out. My cat converter has gone bad. Pieces of it are inside "jumping" around having a good time---making my car sound like crap. I have a 3 inch highflow cat on the way and a 2.75 inch I pipe to replace the stock 2.25 S bending I pipe. I hope my borla will have an even better tone and I will have some horsepower gains from the new cat and I pipe. Thanks to all that posted.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• ssms5411
                      Had to get another phone
                      by ssms5411
                      Well my iPhone 11 Pro Max took a dump, it’s in a boot up loop, will try and get it fixed and give it to my mom. So I got a new iPhone 15 pro max, everything...
                      1 week ago
                    • ssms5411
                      Leaking front cover
                      by ssms5411
                      So I’m still leaking coolant, I think it’s my front cover, going to double check when it’s alittle warmer, got the Zzp extra thick timing cover...
                      2 weeks ago
                    • transamtom1
                      Went to look at 2002 V6 Firebird Vert.
                      by transamtom1
                      Local car on a small lot just over 100k mikes(178,000 kms)

Silver with grey leather and black top 3.8L for $5400 cdn or $3975 usd as is....
                      3 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X