PACESETTER vs. RKSPORT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PACESETTER vs. RKSPORT

I have heard bad things about both of these headers. Everyone says that the y-pipe on the pacesetters must be modified. Is this true? How many instances has this occurred? Once I heard this I thought well i cough up the extra dough and buy RKsports. Now everyone is saying that they leak. Is this on the 3.4L or 3.8L or both? I am having a mechanic help me at his shop but its not like he's gonna be able to bend the y-pipe (alot) without a bender. Also if I don't have to weld it together I would rather not. Well any input on which set I should get is appreciated. By the way its a 1995 Pontiac Firebird 3.4L
    1995 Pontiac Firebird 3.4L <br />TA front bumper, TA rear bumper, 98-02 Honeycomb tailights, GM Ram Air hood, 2k C5 18X9.5 Corvette rims all the way around, custom autoloc shaved handles, camaro two tone interior, silver badging, clear front marker lenses, RK sport headers, gutted cat, dynomax dual exhaust, Rear disc rearend, Richmond 3.73 gears, Zexel torsen LSD, Cross drilled front rotors, 2 12\" MTX thunder 8000s, Clarion 400W amp, MTX 5 1/4 <br />Components, thunder 4262 amp, pioneer head unit, Hypertech power programmer (Yes it does exist)

i got my pacers installed, and the shop had to modify the y pipe, i do get weird noises when i hit bumps

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Jlo:
      i do get weird noises when i hit bumps<hr></blockquote>

It's called "Your Y-pipe is scraping"... [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Don't worry, I get it too. Damn cars... too low to the ground...
      -James<br /><br />\'96 3.8L A4 Camaro (SOLD)

Comment

PAcesetters

The RK's are a ton more money yet don't offer much more than the Pacesetters.
        <b>LS1 RX7! </b> &#0124;&#0124; <a href=\"http://www.no-bling.com/image_galleries/index.php?action=viewgallery&gallery=galleries/eyeoutthere_LS1_FC\" target=\"_blank\">Full Gallery</a> <br /><br />LT1 Header Informtion/survey

Comment

I had to have my y-pipe modified as well.
          94 Quasar Blue Z28<br /><a href=\"http://www.9t4z28.com\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.9t4z28.com</a><br /><a href=\"http://www.9t4z28.com/Dyno1.htm\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.9t4z28.com/Dyno1.htm</a>

Comment

Going to be hard to buy new Pacesetters, since they don't make them for the 3.4L anymore. They probably won't make them for the 3.8L either..... supposedly have been "in developement" for about two years now. :rolleyes:

Just have the RKSports welded up, that's it.

Scott

Comment

i cant pass smog with the pacceters headers, dont buy them unless you have a smog guy

Comment

i cant pass smog with the pacceters headers, dont buy them unless you have a smog guy<hr></blockquote>

You can't pass smog with them because in California they're illegal emissions equipment unless you have a CARB (California Air Resouces Board) number on them, which you don't.

If your tech is on his toes he'll spot the headers and you'll fail visual inspection before you even get on the machine. That's when it's time for Mr. $Bribe$ to come into play. ;)

If you're getting through visual inspection, but are failing the exhaust analysis test, then the problem isn't the headers - it's your car! You're just running dirty!

Comment

your right James but check it out, shure i had to pay him a bit more, but if u notice the headers are missing one port for the smog pump i belive thats what it is. why does pacceters have that missing port, or its probably just mine, if it is then i have a call to make to summit.

Comment

Ah, it's not a pump, it goes to the EGR valve. (If I understood you correctly.) Mine have it. But yeah, if yours don't then, then you're going to be having some problems. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Comment

ok ok, hold up, are you telling me what i think your telling me, once more let me say it again, the passenger side headers are missing a hole, there is like a peace of tube just hanging it supposed to go in a hole somewhere, but the headers dont have the port, do yours have the port, remember im talking about the passenger side header.

Comment

wtf? i so then i can't buy headers then cause i won't pass the smog check?? :mad: thats bs!!!,

Comment

ok ok, hold up, are you telling me what i think your telling me, once more let me say it again, the passenger side headers are missing a hole, there is like a peace of tube just hanging it supposed to go in a hole somewhere, but the headers dont have the port, do yours have the port, remember im talking about the passenger side header.<hr></blockquote>

I'm saying that I don't have the same engine or headers as you. I have CIA headers on my 3.8. It has the proper EGR provision on my driver's side header.

I was saying that if your headers don't have the proper emissions provisions, then the car obviously won't pass smog.

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by importkiller2002:
                            wtf? i so then i can't buy headers then cause i won't pass the smog check??<hr></blockquote>

I don't know what year your car is...
                            If you have a '93-mid '95, then you have a 3.4L engine. Pacesetter and RKSport make headers for your car.

If you have a late '95-'02, then you have a 3.8L engine. RKSport and Clear Image Automotive make headers for the 3.8. (I recommend the CIA headers if you're going to buy them at all.)

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Andy H
                              Hello everyone!
                              by Andy H
                              Its been a while since I've been on the forum. Hope everyone is doing well. I still have my camaro! Unfortunately, the slave cylinder and clutch has went...
                              3 weeks ago
                            • 3.4 slow to go
                              hey there strangers!
                              by 3.4 slow to go
                              been a while but looks like i'm back in the game thanks to my brother. he went and bought an'02 bird, and since i'm a technician at the nissan place...
                              3 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X