Intake Elbow idea

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intake Elbow idea

I've had this idea for a while now, not sure if its stupid or not: I was thinking about using some kind of sealer and sealing the inside baffle type rings that go around the intake elbow so there would be smoother airflow. Would this make for cooler air and better flow? Any thoughts?!Hey, it's worth a shot!
    1999 Black Trans Am A4<br /> <br />-Flowmaster with Flowtech Cutout <br />-SLP Lid <br />-SLP MAF <br />-Ported Heads, hardened pushrods<br />-Diable Sport Programming<br />-18\' ZO6 Polished rims

You mean making every thing all smooth inside so it's not the least bit turbulent for air to come in? That sounds like a good idea, in fact they did make an elbow and I don't know if they still do for our cars that is a lot less restrictive and it's smooth like you said... but I can't find any place that sells it (it's in my friend's catalog) and it has the price of $99.

If you can make that elbow flow better by puttin the sealant on there then go for it. Make sure it dries and everything and can withstand heat. I definately am open to new ideas, so I say go for it...
    <b>Sean: 1994 Camaro daily driver</b>

Comment

It sounds like a good idea to me, but I am not sure that it is going to have any if much effect. The turbulence really isn't the problem in the airflow.
      -Jason<br />Black 1993 Pontiac Firebird -Retired<br />Black 2002 Pontiac Trans Am -Sold-<br />Green 1996 Corvette Convertible -Sold-<p>In the market for \'67-\'73 Firebird!

Comment

There is no chance of creating Laminar flow in the intake of our cars, the Reynolds number is simply to high (The air moves to fast). As a matter of fact, there really would be no point in doing it anyway, because the volume flow rate is what you would want to increase, and turbulant flow has almost as high, if not higher flow rate as laminar flow.
        -Jason<br />Black 1993 Pontiac Firebird -Retired<br />Black 2002 Pontiac Trans Am -Sold-<br />Green 1996 Corvette Convertible -Sold-<p>In the market for \'67-\'73 Firebird!

Comment

Thats very interesting Blue Jay, so then you would be in agreement that the maf screen can in no way straighten air flow in our intake.

I have a post going on with firebirdgt on the advanced tech regarding this.

Comment

Oh heck no, neither can one of those stupid tin can vortex things or whatever they call them. Given the Viscosity of air, and the air velocity that is needed to be maintained, even at idle, the, laminar flow can not be developed.

Comment

blue jay could you try to explain this to firebirdgt on my post on that section please?

I to believe exactly what you have said and hate the fact that misinformation is being passed around. OH and I ask where they got this information and of course it is simply because he is a "mechanical engineer" because he says so.

So then it is fact.

Comment

the maf screen stays in.
                i ran slower with it out.
                ask anyone.
                2011 Camaro LS 6M, in black.

Comment

nb thats not what me and firebirdgt were discussing.

I was under the impression that it was thought that the screen straightens the air when in fact it simply breaks down pre-rotation swirls of air so that the air is even sorta like when you break the vortex of water flowing out of your bathtub you dont have that hole in the middle.

I understood the write up thinking the screen was to keep the air straight when in reality it can not it only helps slow down the air so that it is an even flow across the filament. With a vortex you have high and low points and is turbulant.

Comment

Yea, that is what I was trying to say [img]smile.gif[/img]

What happened to the thread in the Advanced tech section, I can't find it.

Comment

I deleted it because i talked to him on aim and now understand what is meant.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• 3.4 slow to go
                        hey there strangers!
                        by 3.4 slow to go
                        been a while but looks like i'm back in the game thanks to my brother. he went and bought an'02 bird, and since i'm a technician at the nissan place...
                        6 hours ago
                      • ssms5411
                        Had to get another phone
                        by ssms5411
                        Well my iPhone 11 Pro Max took a dump, it’s in a boot up loop, will try and get it fixed and give it to my mom. So I got a new iPhone 15 pro max, everything...
                        1 week ago
                      • ssms5411
                        Leaking front cover
                        by ssms5411
                        So I’m still leaking coolant, I think it’s my front cover, going to double check when it’s alittle warmer, got the Zzp extra thick timing cover...
                        2 weeks ago
                      • transamtom1
                        Went to look at 2002 V6 Firebird Vert.
                        by transamtom1
                        Local car on a small lot just over 100k mikes(178,000 kms)

Silver with grey leather and black top 3.8L for $5400 cdn or $3975 usd as is....
                        3 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X