Adding 3.42's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adding 3.42's

Ok guys what ALL would I need to add 3.42's to my car. For the cheapest price. Thanks
    2001 SOM Camaro SS<p>Direct flo lid---Lakewood LCAs----Edelbrock Torque Arm-----Lous Short Stick---Dynomouth 3\" Exhaust---SLP Center Mount Exhaust---Poly tranny and torque arm mounts.<p>My site....http://community.webshots.com/album/49413018hRfdbP

Easiest way to do it would be go to a salvage yard, and grab the entire rear-end from a Y87 camaro. this will give you 3.42's and LSD. Changing the gears themselves is a very precise process, and can get expensive in labor.
    1997 Y87 Camaro with a motor and some stuff.

Comment

or find a used 98+ f-body with the y-87 pkg. so you don't have to spend all that money on installing a new rearend. If all you want is 3.42 w/ lsd/posi, save your cash for a new moser 12-bolt setup with abs, disk brakes, 3.42 w/lsd for about $3000= installed.
      2001 Arctic White Firebird<br />T-Tops, 3.42 rear gear stock<br />Mods:K&N Air Filter,Whisper Air Induction Lid, maf screen removed, raised air box, Kumho Ecsta 712 255-50-ZR16 tires, BMR stb<br />Mods not installed yet: FTRA, SLP Lsd/Differential cover<br />Near Future Mods: HPP3, GMMG 3\" Exhaust , 1LE Swaybars, Transgo Shift Kit, MSD-DIS-4 w/ Accel Coil-Packs, Turquoise Blue Neon Underbody Kit, BMR Adj. LCA\'s, G2 Sfc\'s & V-braces, Pacesetter headers

Comment

Would I be able to take a rear end from a junkyard F-body with the Y-87 package and put it in my car since it has the 3.4 and Y-87's were in 3.8's? Or better put, can this be done fairly easily and cheap, or is it a big hassel? Thanks for any help! :D
        \'95 Med. Quasar Blue Camaro 3.4 A4<br />Bunch o\' mods<br /><b>10.18 @ 67.60 mph 2.22 60 ft (1/8 mile)</b> <br /><br />-1986 Camaro with a carbed 350<br /><b>8.53 @ 81.45mph 1.8 60\'</b><br />AIM CamaroL32

Comment

actually the install was easy for me except for my two little hold ups. backlash and everything came out fine without any adjustments after the fact.
          you can\'t get off if you don\'t get on

Comment

Umm, its not that bad to change your gears. I got a ring and pinion set brand new off ebay for $80, bought the Zexel-Torsen LSD from slponline.com for $99, handed the mechanic $300 for the install. That comes to $480 for complete gear swap, quite a bit cheaper than a new $3000 rearend and better than $200 for a junkyard rearend and $250 for the install. Just my .02
            C. Boney<br />1997 Firebird 3.8L V6<br />---------------------<br />Modifications:<br /> <br /> SLP Cold Air Induction, Ported/Polished Throttle Body, Carsound 3\" High Flow Cat, Sweet Thunder 24\" Chambered Muffler, Removed Rear Exhaust Section, Custom Fan Switch, 35th Anniv. Silver Stripes, Old T/A-Style Silver Sail Birds

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by dstrbd1:
              actually the install was easy for me except for my two little hold ups. backlash and everything came out fine without any adjustments after the fact.<hr></blockquote>

Dude, so what kinda of difference did you notice w/ the new gears? I'm dying to get my end swapped.

Nevermind, i just saw your other post. Enjoy em, and good luck @ kennedal [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]

[ February 18, 2002: Message edited by: Blac Drop Top ]</p>
              2002 Electron Blue Corvette<br />1999 Black Mazda Truck<p>AKA: Night Rider

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• ssms5411
                Had to get another phone
                by ssms5411
                Well my iPhone 11 Pro Max took a dump, it’s in a boot up loop, will try and get it fixed and give it to my mom. So I got a new iPhone 15 pro max, everything...
                1 week ago
              • ssms5411
                Leaking front cover
                by ssms5411
                So I’m still leaking coolant, I think it’s my front cover, going to double check when it’s alittle warmer, got the Zzp extra thick timing cover...
                2 weeks ago
              • transamtom1
                Went to look at 2002 V6 Firebird Vert.
                by transamtom1
                Local car on a small lot just over 100k mikes(178,000 kms)

Silver with grey leather and black top 3.8L for $5400 cdn or $3975 usd as is....
                3 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
              Working...
              X