Dual exhaust w/Glass packs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dual exhaust w/Glass packs

One of my friends suggested I get dual exhaust and 2 glass packs. I know it would be a lot cheaper than say a borla exhaust system but would it be effective. I'd like to get a better sound out of my car as well as a performance boost. I also would like to know if theres going to be any problem with police, I heard someone say that glass packs were illegal, is that true (in Kentucky)?
    <a href=\"http://community.webshots.com/user/maniacls1\" target=\"_blank\"><b>2001 Firehawk #155 of 504 -M6</b></a><br />437 RWHP / 404 RWTQ -Dynojet (heads/cam)<br />12.34 @114 mph 1.7 60\' (bolt-ons only)<br />12.47 @116 mph 2.0 60\' (street tires, heads/cam)

http://www.camarov6.com/ubb/ultimate...c&f=1&t=004400

[img]smile.gif[/img]

Comment

I read that post allready, didn't answer any of my questions. I don't plan on running straight pipes with no mufflers. I'm talking about dual exhaust with glass packs and the legallity issues associated with it.
      <a href=\"http://community.webshots.com/user/maniacls1\" target=\"_blank\"><b>2001 Firehawk #155 of 504 -M6</b></a><br />437 RWHP / 404 RWTQ -Dynojet (heads/cam)<br />12.34 @114 mph 1.7 60\' (bolt-ons only)<br />12.47 @116 mph 2.0 60\' (street tires, heads/cam)

Comment

My muffler guy told me that it would sound like pure crap on our cars.
        <b>1998 Firebird 3800 Series II, A4</b><br />Direct-Flo Lid,K&N Filter,DEE TB Spacer,TPS-TEC,ZZP Mini-AFC,Raised and Cutout Airbox 7mm,BMR STB & Boxed LCAs,KYB AGX Shocks,Drilled/Slotted Rotors,180* Thermo,2.5\" Catco Cat,Dynomax 2.75\" custom catback,Kumho Ecstas/245,Jet Stage 2,3.42,Edge Racing 2870 Stall,B&M Tranny Cooler,B&M Deep Tranny Pan,LSD,AAM Girdle,1LE DS,NX Wet Kit,MSD DIS-4,MSD Blaster Coil Packs,Taylor Spiro Pro 8mm Wires,NGK TR6\'S gapped .045,ZZP UD WP Pulley,SLP Fan Switch,TT II\'s<br />N/A: 15.6342 @ 88.44 (On stock converter. Strugglin\' to beat it.)<br />Nitrous 50 Shot: 14.7463 @ 93.49

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by V6Maniac:
          I read that post allready, didn't answer any of my questions. I don't plan on running straight pipes with no mufflers. I'm talking about dual exhaust with glass packs and the legallity issues associated with it.<hr></blockquote>

Ha, legality. Here in Texas, unless I am mistaken, the law about mufflers goes like this:

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>TRC §547.604.

MUFFLER REQUIRED.

(a) A motor vehicle shall be equipped with a muffler in good working condition that continually operates to prevent excessive or unusual noise.

(b) A person may not use a muffler cutout, bypass, or similar device on a motor vehicle.
          <hr></blockquote>

Excessive or unusual. I'm glad that they clearly defined it. I think you will find a vaguely similar law in Kentucky (I looked around a bit, found one that said you couldn't modify the exhaust to make it louder than stock, but that law was passed by the KY legislature in 1942, so it is probably different now.)

In California they decided to clarify their law, and they say that the exhaust volume has to be less than 95 decibels.

Back to the issue. My friend had a Dynomax Bullit race muffler on his '99. He was never pulled over for excessive noise. However, he was pulled over once for "gunning the engine" in front of a police officer in Georgetown, TX. The officer assumed that because of how loud the car was he must have been nailing it. Since there was no tire squealage, what the officer meant to say was "It is late at night so I wanted to pull you over because you are a young guy driving a sporty car in our old person town."

I think you could get away with it with 2 glass packs. Don't know how bad it would sound, but that wasn't your question anyway. If you do go with 2 glass packs, make it into sidepipes! That's what I'd do.
          Matt<br />2000 Firebird<br /><br /><a href=\"http://www.fullthrottlev6.com/forums/index.php?\" target=\"_blank\">FullThrottleV6.com</a>

Comment

Alot of times on LS1tech.com or on LS1.com in the classifieds you can find a good offroad pipe that is used for true dual exhaust. Pick that up with your glasspacks it should work well. They are almost always already customized for the F body anyway. I also always thought that the sidepipes on our cars would look tiiiiiiiiiiiiight!!! No joke dood!

Scott

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• ssms5411
              Had to get another phone
              by ssms5411
              Well my iPhone 11 Pro Max took a dump, it’s in a boot up loop, will try and get it fixed and give it to my mom. So I got a new iPhone 15 pro max, everything...
              1 week ago
            • ssms5411
              Leaking front cover
              by ssms5411
              So I’m still leaking coolant, I think it’s my front cover, going to double check when it’s alittle warmer, got the Zzp extra thick timing cover...
              2 weeks ago
            • transamtom1
              Went to look at 2002 V6 Firebird Vert.
              by transamtom1
              Local car on a small lot just over 100k mikes(178,000 kms)

Silver with grey leather and black top 3.8L for $5400 cdn or $3975 usd as is....
              3 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
            Working...
            X