Newbie question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie question

Hi guys, I have a 1996 Camaro and I'd like to know how much of a difference I'd feel by adding a SLP cold air kit and a cat-back system.

By the way, what do stock 3.8L dyno at and how much would these two gain working together (more air in, more air out).

I'm also thinking of getting a HI-FLO cat, if it makes a noticeable difference. Thanks guys. [img]graemlins/wavey.gif[/img]

Those are all good mods and you'll definitely feel the difference. But, be sure your plugs, wires, and 02s are all good before spending the big bucks.
    [img]graemlins/burnout.gif[/img]

Comment

Thanks SuperRat, I just replaced my plugs less than 1k ago and the wires about 10k ago. I don't know about the 02 sensors though...

I didn't know 02 sensors would affect performance other than setting of that stupid SES light (which I need to get looked at too).

Oh yeah, not a performance mod but new tires would help traction a bit. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Comment

O2 sensors tell the computer if it is running lean or rich. So yes the can really effect performance and fuel milage. Starting with the cold air and the cat-back is a good idea and the best place to start, but it sounds like you need tires first. If I remember right 3.8L auto is about 150-165RWHP, and manuals get 160-175RWHP.

[ November 23, 2001: Message edited by: Jason3.4L ]</p>
        <br />RIP<br />1995 Chevrolet Camaro<br />3.4L V6 A4<br />Flowmaster 40 Series<br />K&N FIPK<br />Throttle Body Coolant Bypass<br />180 Degree Thermostat<br />3.42 Ring Gear<br />Steel One Piece Driveshaft<br />IAT Relocation<br />and a website <a href=\"http://www.geocities.com/jason_b298\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.geocities.com/jason_b298</a><br />New Ride 2000 S-10<br />4.3L V6 VIN W<br />auto <br />3.42 w/ LSD<br />more coming soon

Comment

Why would horsepower numbers be higher for a manual?
          1995 Camaro 3.4 v6. Dead<br />1995 Trans Am FIPK.

Comment

Because a manual has a more efficient driveline. Figure on an average hp loss of 15% with a manual and about 20% with an auto.

Comment

SLP cold air is a great kit
              As for cat backs, yo can get just a muffler and have pipes made which is really cheap, flowmaster and edlebrock are next at just under 300 bucks, then it can go up to........ tri flow at... what's the cost? $600+??? I think
              BTW, welcome [img]graemlins/wavey.gif[/img]
              As for dyno.
              Stock is rated at 200 hp, high 150's to low 160's are expected.
              I think I heard a stock auto put down 158 rwhp?
              The drveline power loss difer's.
              I've heard 21% for auto's and 17% for manuals.
              Technicaly that dyno for an auto rated at 200 flywheel hp and a 21% driveline power loss made 158 rwhp which would confirm the 21% loss.
              The true way to find out would be to dyno it on a stand out of the car and then plop it back in the car and dyno it for rwhp and then compare the #'s
              Race car - gone but not forgotten - 1997 firebird V6
              nitrous et & mph: 12.168 & 110.95 mph, n/a 13.746 & 96.38 mph
              2013 Dodge Challenger SRT8: 12.125, 116.45
              2010 Ford Taurus SHO: no times yet

Comment

Hey thanks for the help guys. With all the rain the Bay Area has gotten this weekend I bit the bullet and got some new tires, Potenza 950s.

Next weekend (next paycheck...hehe), I'll probably get the SLP cold air and do some more HW on a catback.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Andy H
                  Hello everyone!
                  by Andy H
                  Its been a while since I've been on the forum. Hope everyone is doing well. I still have my camaro! Unfortunately, the slave cylinder and clutch has went...
                  2 weeks ago
                • 3.4 slow to go
                  hey there strangers!
                  by 3.4 slow to go
                  been a while but looks like i'm back in the game thanks to my brother. he went and bought an'02 bird, and since i'm a technician at the nissan place...
                  2 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                Working...
                X