Forgotten 96 Ram Air

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Forgotten 96 Ram Air

Ok, so i want to do a free ram air on my 96 3.8. All the sites use the explination for the 98+ models with the airbox in the middle. Mine's on the driver's side. I saw a mod once where there was a hole cut under the airbox and a scoop was installed. I was wondering if anyone knew a site that described the entire process. I need to know where to cut all the holes exactly before i go to work on my baby.

96 3.8 Camaro
    Arctic White
    T-Tops
    Flowmaster
    K&N

96 V6 A4 Camaro and 99 Z28 A4 Camaro
    Visit My F-Body Page

What ever you do, DONT CUT THE AIR DAM! I am actually in the process of getting a ram air for my 97.
    Max Shapiro<br />97 Camaro RS<br />-Bright Green Metallic<br />-Tan Leather, T-Tops<br />-3.08\'s, open diff., Automatic 4<br />-Home-Made Cold Air Assembly, Tanza filter<br />-DynoMax Super Turbo Rear Section (2.5\'\')<br />-Hooker (21433) 2.5\'\'in/Dual 3\'\'out Chrome Slash Cut Tips<br />-PolyUrethane Bushings & Endlinks for Front+Rear Sway Bars<br />-Mobil-1 Synthetic 10W-30, 5W-30<br />-Premium Sound System(6 spkrs)<br />-Monsoon 500w CD Head Unit<br />-Firehawks SS20 235.55.R16<p>Awaiting in my garage:<br />3.73s,Zexel Torsen take-off LSD,LS1 Rear Brakes,SLP CAI,3\'\' exhaust piping and 14 SECOND TIME SLIPS!!!

Comment

why not?

Visit My F-Body Page

Comment

The main purpose of the air dam under the car is to bring air to the radiator at cruising speeds.
        2001 Onyx Black Camaro M5-Totalled<br />2005 Ford F150 XLT 5.4L<br /><br />\"To make peace, prepare for war.\"

Comment

That scoop is not a real ram air it is more simply outside air "cold air" scoop to the filter.

Has nothing in common with "ram air" setups

Comment

Here's a link for the homemade ram-air scoop. It may not be exactly what you're looking for, but I hope it helps some...

http://www.charm.net/~mchaney/ramair/ramair.htm

Later.
            Brad<br />--------------------<br />Black 1996 Camaro 3.8L A4<br /> <a href=\"http://v6camaro.homestead.com\" target=\"_blank\">http://v6camaro.homestead.com</a>

Comment

Thanks, but ive allreadya seen that site. thats where i got the idea for the scoop. What about the rest of the process.
              I wasnt gunna take off the entire air dam either. just the corner. is there anything wrong with that?

Visit My F-Body Page

Comment

Yup... don't touch that damned dam [img]smile.gif[/img] That is the thing under your car attached to the bottom of the radiator.

Your risking an overheat, they are vital to your car running properly.

All the free ram air mod does is make use of the air that thing deflects into the radiator.

Messing around w/ the dam is going to cause more harm than good.

I don't know what the innards of a '96 3.8 looks like. But if you have an airbox directly over your radiators, simply follow the instructions laid out by other sites for the free ram air. An air scoop is not necessary.

[ November 25, 2001: Message edited by: strobhen ]</p>
                2001 75th Anniversary V6 Pewter Firebird w/ Chrome Wheels, T-Tops, & Y87<br />Mods: Free Ram Air, !Silencer, Holley Filter, Full 3\" Hooker Catback, 3\" Cat<br />Best time: 15.095 at 90.00 MPH with a 2.127 60\'

Comment

The 96 doesnt work like the later models. its not right above the radiator. Isnt there anyone who's done this on a car like mine?

Visit My F-Body Page

Comment

Hey, MaxBrightGreen97RS, where are you getting a ram air for your 97 cause i desperate for one real bad!!! if you could just tell me where i could get one i would appreciate it. thanks.

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Loochy88:
                      The 96 doesnt work like the later models. its not right above the radiator. Isnt there anyone who's done this on a car like mine?<hr></blockquote>

Most people just buy (or make) a CAI & then maybe rig up some type of scoop (like the one on the site mentioned above). It's not a TRUE ram-air setup, but its as close as we can get without buying a ram-air hood, etc.

Sorry this doesn't help...but I've been around for a while & have never seen a true (homemade) ram-air setup on a 96...

Later.

Brad
                      Brad<br />--------------------<br />Black 1996 Camaro 3.8L A4<br /> <a href=\"http://v6camaro.homestead.com\" target=\"_blank\">http://v6camaro.homestead.com</a>

Comment

I myself do not have an air dam...

I have no fog lites and have 3in hoses from each to the radiator..

I also made a aluminum air dam that is bent at an angle to ram the air into the radiator. I placed it behind where the radiator sits on the metal strip. I also ahve to air box. You can almost see the K&N cone, but I have a air duct with a scream so no foriegn opjects get in there.

Lane

Comment

Well, everyone seems to have their own idea. I guess ill just keep it simple and modify the air filter box. And of course take out the scilencer. I allready have a k&n so well see what this does. Next mod: new spark plugs and wire set. Bosch Platinum +4 and a new wireset to go with it [img]graemlins/burnout.gif[/img]

Visit My F-Body Page

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Andy H
                            Hello everyone!
                            by Andy H
                            Its been a while since I've been on the forum. Hope everyone is doing well. I still have my camaro! Unfortunately, the slave cylinder and clutch has went...
                            2 weeks ago
                          • 3.4 slow to go
                            hey there strangers!
                            by 3.4 slow to go
                            been a while but looks like i'm back in the game thanks to my brother. he went and bought an'02 bird, and since i'm a technician at the nissan place...
                            3 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X