does larger tail-pipe affect sound?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• does larger tail-pipe affect sound?

I have the stock tail pipe on my 94 camaro and it's comming out of a single outlet flowmaster. I was wondering, if I made it shorter and larger (say 3") would I notice a difference in sound?

I am asking because I had a delta-flow put on my girlfriends 4-runner, and it sounds mean and then gets super quiet, and I am wondering, if I cut down and or make the pipe larger (have maybe 30" to play with worth of pipe) will it help any?

Please let me know,
    Chris

p.s. Do tips like borla help the sound at all or are they just for looks?

no, It won't sound better. It will sound a little different but it wont give you a V8'ish rumble. Not worth the time or money for just that. Now changing the I-pipe will get you a much better sound. That will turn a few heads.
    White 98 Camaro with t-tops leather and Y87. For more info on mods just ask.<br />1/4=14.9<br />2002 Xterra V6 A4

Comment

do you know where I could get a 3" I-pipe? How much do they normally cost to install? I will call around and see what kind of quote's I get.

Also, since I have a single exit exhaust, is there any way to make the single outlet look better than it already does? Tips etc..??

Comment

I was quoted around $100 for pipe and install for a 3". No one sells them pre bent. You will have to get one made. As far as looks, you can have dual tips made out of one exit. It wont look like every one else but its dual. If you have the cash you can get a new Flowmaster with dual exit pipes for only $70.
        White 98 Camaro with t-tops leather and Y87. For more info on mods just ask.<br />1/4=14.9<br />2002 Xterra V6 A4

Comment

I have the stock tail pipe on my 94 camaro and it's comming out of a single outlet flowmaster. I was wondering, if I made it shorter and larger (say 3") would I notice a difference in sound?

You probably wouldn't really notice a difference in the sound because the muffler is still in tact and that is what's quieting the exhaust. If you want a deep, loud rumble, you might want to invest in a tunable exhaust by Borla (which enables you to bypass the muffler).. Or you could have someone put a cutout in before the muffler so that you could open up the exhaust.. Is it real quiet?? or do you just want it LOUDER??
          2004 CE Corvette 10.86@132mph
          1996 Supercharged/Nitrous Camaro RS (For Sale)
          2011 Cadillac CTS-V
          2011 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GT-P
          2006 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS

Comment

which one is the I pipe i have been under my car enough i was just wondering whicj piece your talking about ????? thanx
            AIS 2 OHH the memories... Great times and putting names with faces.<p>From \"interesting\" hooters waitress(Did you guys FLY ? ) to pissing BMW owners off on the ride home. To ending up in Philidelphia and USING (hahaha) an ice machine. I had a BLAST.<p>Thanxs to all that showed up!!

Comment

it's the piece that comes out of the converter to the muffler.
              1995 Camaro 3.4 v6. Dead<br />1995 Trans Am FIPK.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• ssms5411
                Had to get another phone
                by ssms5411
                Well my iPhone 11 Pro Max took a dump, it’s in a boot up loop, will try and get it fixed and give it to my mom. So I got a new iPhone 15 pro max, everything...
                1 week ago
              • ssms5411
                Leaking front cover
                by ssms5411
                So I’m still leaking coolant, I think it’s my front cover, going to double check when it’s alittle warmer, got the Zzp extra thick timing cover...
                2 weeks ago
              • transamtom1
                Went to look at 2002 V6 Firebird Vert.
                by transamtom1
                Local car on a small lot just over 100k mikes(178,000 kms)

Silver with grey leather and black top 3.8L for $5400 cdn or $3975 usd as is....
                3 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
              Working...
              X