Exhaust Cut Out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exhaust Cut Out

I did a search and still didn't really find what I am looking for so I will bring up another post on this, sorry. It looks like everybody that puts their cutouts before the CAT complain about how horrible it is. So I'm taking it, that if I do get one I should put it after the CAT? I heard the green goblin's sound clip and it really didn't sound half as bad. I hear that the cutout shaves off .2 seconds and helps you gain 2 mph. Every 10th of a second is worth it at the track right? And if I don't like the sound I just won't drive with the cap off. Is this a wise investment? It's only $25 and when I get my high flow CAT put in anyway why not just have them slap one in there for the hell of it? What do you guys think?

Ted

for me it was a good investment. when i asked people, some said they lost power. all it did for me was take me up to 90 mph when i had been stuck at 88 forever. it did not shave any time. but i always hit 90 well 92 mph now. i have it bfore the cat and it is too loud. some kids like it but it, but that is cause they dont know better. a man in a parking lot came up to me when it was opened (a stranger old man) and told me my car sounded like caca. i drive with it closed now.
    6s.......under the hood or under the belt, they just dont cut it.

Comment

i put mine after the cat, i cant say exactly how much it took off my E.T. because the air i ran it last was REALLY good compared to the time before, but before i ran a 15.97@86 w/a 2.26 60', and this time I ran a 15.66@89.2 w/a 2.48 60'
      <b>Black</b> 1998 Pontiac <i>Firebird</i> A-4 swap<br />271.4rwhp/259.4rwtq NA<br />13.30@102.44 <br /><a href=\"http://www.freewebs.com/wickedsix98\" target=\"_blank\">www.freewebs.com/wickedsix98</a>

Comment

Do they make 3" exhaust cutouts?
        After installing the cutout, does it affect performance when its closed vs it not being there?
        How easy are they to open at the track when they're needed and legal?
        How good are the ones that are lever actuated vs. the plate style?
        2002 5-spd NBM Camaro
        Details: www.1lev6.com

Comment

i do believe they make 3 inch but i never looked for one that size. mine opens and closes with a plate that is hel on with 3 wing nuts. easy to take off the plate-have to lay down on the ground thats all. i have a nut on one bolt before the plate so it wont close all the way but has an open mouth. it is not as loud and obnoxious as totally open.
          6s.......under the hood or under the belt, they just dont cut it.

Comment

If you are running 3" exhaust already, i wouldnt recommend a cut-out, im running 2.5" and before it wouldnt pull to 6000 so i put a cut-out and now it pulls all the way to 6000, i think it hurt my performance w/it capped, i have no proof though, mine is held on w/2 bolts, its more of a b!tch than the wingnuts im sure, but it takes about 1-2 minutes to pull it off...not bad at all
            <b>Black</b> 1998 Pontiac <i>Firebird</i> A-4 swap<br />271.4rwhp/259.4rwtq NA<br />13.30@102.44 <br /><a href=\"http://www.freewebs.com/wickedsix98\" target=\"_blank\">www.freewebs.com/wickedsix98</a>

Comment

yes they make a 3in cout-out..(thunderracing). i'm going to the track next week i'll let you know how well it performed
              97 CAMARO RS<br />12.9@103mph<br />best 60ft..1.9 ( on street tires)<br /> 1.7 (on gas)<br />turbo supra 12.5@119mph (street tires)<br />new times to come sporting the sp63gt

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by WickEdSix9838:
                If you are running 3" exhaust already, i wouldnt recommend a cut-out, im running 2.5" and before it wouldnt pull to 6000 so i put a cut-out and now it pulls all the way to 6000, i think it hurt my performance w/it capped, i have no proof though, mine is held on w/2 bolts, its more of a b!tch than the wingnuts im sure, but it takes about 1-2 minutes to pull it off...not bad at all<hr></blockquote>

I know I'm reading this wrong...

Did you say that you put the cutout on and it hurt your performance?

So before you installed the cutout your car pulled a lot better?

Also... why would a person install it after the cat? Wouldn't the cat sort of bottle neck the air flow and defeat the purpose of running "open headers?" maybe I'm way wrong on this one here...
                <b>Sean: 1994 Camaro daily driver</b>

Comment

the cut-out hurt power CAPPED compared to when it wasnt even there, like the hole is just causing turbulence before it enters the muffler,

the reason i put mine after the cat is because i really wanted a 3" cat-back but couldnt afford one so i tryed this out to sort of "simulate" a 3" cat-back...also i wasnt sure if i put it before the cat if the SES light would come on or not,

Comment

I'm still confused on a few subjects. Someone said they wouldn't recommend it with a 3" Exhaust system. I'm not sure, I don't know much about this but before the CAT isn't it all 3" Coming off the ypipes and to the cat? Someone told me that the CAT inlet was 3"? I also read a post that said when they took their cat completely off and just ran off their Ypipe they lost .6 sec in the 1/4 but when they put it on again they gained .6sec, this is probably why some people put it after the CAT. I have no clue about that sensor in there but I was thinking that if it's not in there and theres no CAT it's at a loss of HP correct? Maybee if it detects theres none or hardly enough exhaust flow it's at a loss of horsepower too? Just a theory, i might be wrong. Unless someone tells me a better reason to put it before the CAT im getting it installed after it, i'll let everyone know how it turns out for future reference.

Ted

[ March 04, 2002: Message edited by: Ted ]</p>

Comment

when at WOT the computer goes into closed loop i belive it is it does not pay atteion to the o2 sesors it just reads the maf sensor basicly so no it wont hurt your performance it has been proven to help especilly if you have a converter so you can get that back pressure out of there

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Andy H
                        Hello everyone!
                        by Andy H
                        Its been a while since I've been on the forum. Hope everyone is doing well. I still have my camaro! Unfortunately, the slave cylinder and clutch has went...
                        3 weeks ago
                      • 3.4 slow to go
                        hey there strangers!
                        by 3.4 slow to go
                        been a while but looks like i'm back in the game thanks to my brother. he went and bought an'02 bird, and since i'm a technician at the nissan place...
                        3 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X