I need help with Exhaust

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need help with Exhaust

Ok, I have not done anything performance related to my car and am leaning toward starting with an exhaust system. Now, I'm not a hardcore racer, as this is my everyday car. I have the 173ci 2.8l V6 and just want to make it a little faster, and sound better. So what should I go with? A dynomax cat-back? Edlebrock system?
    I'm looking to spend around 300 bucks. I would consider Borla, but again, this is only my daily driver so I'm not out to get to notch stuff. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks for looking! [img]smile.gif[/img]

i've got a flowmaster exhaust with dual 3.5" chrome tips. costed me $278.42
    1998 Sport Metallic Gold Camaro<br />Current Mods<br />AIWA CD/MP3 player<br />Flowmaster exhaust<br />Dual 3.5\" chrome exhaust tips<br />Removed Front Grill<br />Functional RAM AIR, ss-style hood<br />Exhaust Cutout<p>Future Mods:<br />Leather Seats<br />Improved audio system<br />Different wheels<br />Indiglo gauges<p><a href=\"http://hometown.aol.com/saturn2187/\" target=\"_blank\">http://hometown.aol.com/saturn2187/</a>

Comment

on that engine just install a dynomax for $110 installed and a high flow cat for $50.99 from summit. Leave it at that, nothing is gonna do too much for that engine unless you spend major money on forced induction so go with what is cheap and works
      That\'s not a tool that\'s a damn brick!

Comment

Cool. Yeah, like I said, I'm not out to improve to where I'm gonna race Vipers and stuff, I just want something that's a notch above factory, that kinda thing. How does Dynomax sound? I've been eyeballing that cat back system for a while now...

Comment

sounds very good, has a clean sound to it, not very loud but loud enoug and has good performance gains and comes with a lifetime warranty. I just got mine installed a week ago although my exhaust line retains no stock parts I would imagine it will sound very clean and give a pretty good gain in HP.

Comment

Right on then. I'm about to head over to Jegs.com and order. Is it the Dynomax cat-back system or a standard Dynomax system? Again, I'm not too savvy on all of this...so please bear with me. And the high flow cat, what kind is it? Also a Dynomax product? How hard is installation? Does this system go along with factory routing? Sorry for sounding like an excited kid....I guess, I kinda am one! [img]smile.gif[/img]

Comment

You won't be as impressed with a Dymomax as you would be an 80 series Flowmaster. I have a Flowmaster and its very loud and very deep through ALL RPM. It took a year to get that way but I get people coming up to me all the time complimenting me on my Z28, even today someone said that and couldn't believe it when I told him it was a V6. Dynomax doesnt have the rumble as Flowmaster. I've heard Dynomax on a Camaro, mind sounded much better. Looked better too because I had the chrome dual exhaust. I think you should go with Flowmaster.
              2003 Nissan 350Z Touring Coupe, Daytona Blue, Frost leather interior, navigation, 18 inch wheels, M6, fully loaded, intake, crank pulley.<br /><br />Previous cars:<br />1991 Mustang (347)<br />2002 RS Camaro<br />1985 IROC-Z (305)<br />1994 Camaro convertible V6

Comment

Flowmaster 80...for some reason that rings a bell...I was reading somewhere ( I'm pretty sure it was one of the other boards) that people installed that 80 series and were "embarrassed by the ricey sound"....Hmm, what to do....will that 80 series work on my 3rd gen?

Comment

I would also suggest the Flowmaster 80 series. I really like the sound of it on my Camaro and other's too. I would also suggest a high-flow cat as previously mentioned. With some leftover money, I am sure that you could get a new i-pipe, maybe 2.5" from Dynomax/Walker Exhaust. Hope this helps.
                  - Josh<br />If you have any questions or need installation pics/help, e-mail me: Viper98885@aol.com<br /><a href=\"http://Camaroz28.cardomain.com/id/viper98885\" target=\"_blank\">\'93 Camaro Hardtop</a><br /><a href=\"http://Camaroz28.cardomain.com/id/01lincolnls8\" target=\"_blank\">\'01 Lincoln LS8 Sport</a><br />\'00 Yamaha YZF-R6<br /><a href=\"http://www.ftpp.net\" target=\"_blank\">Full Throttle Performance</a>

Comment

85firebird, by you having an older car, the exhaust sound and performances might not be the same. I'm a former flowmaster 80 series owner that switch to dynomax. Honestly, they don't sound that much different when driving. However, the flows are deeper at idle and low rpms, BUT the dynomax doesn't rice up as bad as the flows past 3 rpms. Whatever you decide to get, get your intake done FIRST, or your exhaust will really sound like a honda. A modded intake deepens the exhaust.
                    <b>99 Camaro Z28 A4</b><br />R.I.P. 00 Firebird 3.8<br />14.89 @ 90, 2.03 60\'

Comment

85firebird, you would only have the rice sound coming from the flowmaster when you first get it. You have to give it time to burn up. Thats what I did and now the Flowmaster sounds much better. Dynomax doesn't have much of a rumble to it at all, Flowmaster has a lot. I've heard a Dynomax before, I thought it was a ricer at first. You won't get that at all after a few months with the Flowmaster. All the people that said they were embarrased, expected results as soon as they put on the muffler. I've had mine for a year and people say it sounds great. I've heard a camaro exactly like yours with an 80 series Flowmaster, even I thought it was a V-8.
                      2003 Nissan 350Z Touring Coupe, Daytona Blue, Frost leather interior, navigation, 18 inch wheels, M6, fully loaded, intake, crank pulley.<br /><br />Previous cars:<br />1991 Mustang (347)<br />2002 RS Camaro<br />1985 IROC-Z (305)<br />1994 Camaro convertible V6

Comment

Alright, thanks guys! So as far as intake goes, how much do those kits cost? And do they just hook up to the airbox that the air filter is in, or does it attach to the throttle body itself somehow?

Comment

I'm not sure how much an intake costs for your year of car. Check with http://www.thunderracing.com
                          <b>99 Camaro Z28 A4</b><br />R.I.P. 00 Firebird 3.8<br />14.89 @ 90, 2.03 60\'

Comment

I see this SLP CAI System

Part Number- 28-21030

SLP Cold-Air Induction, 1982-1992 V8 F-body High Flow Dual Inlet System (speed density system only) *Must use Firebird Bellows for Proper Installation (GM #14094720) and must Relocate Battery for Proper Installation (Call for details)

I notice it says V8, so is there no way to make this work on my car? And what else is there to an intake system? Being green sucks... :(

Comment

I have absolutely no rice rev at all. it sounds smooth as hell all the way to redline. I even asked the guy installing the muffler. Both were exactly the same price, he told me the 6's sound best with dynomaxs installed. He also said trying to get warranty work from flowmaster was like pulling teeth. My car has headers and 3 inch back to a dual dynomax and sounds great. Flowmaster also has packing that can burn out while dynomax does not so you won't have to worry about "burning out" you muffler packing and having the sound change on you, dynomax has the sound it will always have.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Andy H
                                Hello everyone!
                                by Andy H
                                Its been a while since I've been on the forum. Hope everyone is doing well. I still have my camaro! Unfortunately, the slave cylinder and clutch has went...
                                3 weeks ago
                              • 3.4 slow to go
                                hey there strangers!
                                by 3.4 slow to go
                                been a while but looks like i'm back in the game thanks to my brother. he went and bought an'02 bird, and since i'm a technician at the nissan place...
                                3 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X