Air Filter idea

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Air Filter idea

This may have already been discussed or may even be stupid. I was watching classic car and driver or one of those shows and a fuel injected motor had a conical air filter coming straight out of the throttle body. This would greatly reduce air restriction through tubes. On a 3.4 motor this could help greatly because there is a ton of room in front of the motor for air to come up and enter the filter. I remember someone just ran a tube under the car with no filter and took like .5 off their et. Any ideas or thoughts?
    1995 Pontiac Firebird 3.4L <br />TA front bumper, TA rear bumper, 98-02 Honeycomb tailights, GM Ram Air hood, 2k C5 18X9.5 Corvette rims all the way around, custom autoloc shaved handles, camaro two tone interior, silver badging, clear front marker lenses, RK sport headers, gutted cat, dynomax dual exhaust, Rear disc rearend, Richmond 3.73 gears, Zexel torsen LSD, Cross drilled front rotors, 2 12\" MTX thunder 8000s, Clarion 400W amp, MTX 5 1/4 <br />Components, thunder 4262 amp, pioneer head unit, Hypertech power programmer (Yes it does exist)

With the filter located there the engine will suck all the hot air from under the hood... :(
    I think a CAI works better!
    <a href=\"http://www.hubraum-statt-spoiler.com/transamrims2.jpg\" target=\"_blank\"><br />1994 Yellow Firebird 3.4L V6 5spd</a><br />Borla, RandomTech Cat, Morroso CAI, MSD DIS-4, MSD coils,ported TB, TB Bypass, relocated IAT, 180° Thermo, Eibach Pro Kit, Bilstein HDs, ES bushings,RAM HD clutch

Comment

what if you could mount some ac ducting from the front somewhere and bring it up to the filter and give it cold air from there????
      1996 Chevy Camaro SS<br />#67 of 2,410 made that year with the slp package<br />Street Lethal Fbody Association Member<br /> <a href=\"http://www.cars-on-line.com/97cam11475.html\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.cars-on-line.com/97cam11475.html</a>

Comment

I have FRA & ran without a filter.

Didn't do a damn thing

You gotta remember our intake is already pretty huge for our cars. Remove the silencer & do free ram air & you will be set.

Our air filters are the same size as a v8, heh.
        2001 75th Anniversary V6 Pewter Firebird w/ Chrome Wheels, T-Tops, & Y87<br />Mods: Free Ram Air, !Silencer, Holley Filter, Full 3\" Hooker Catback, 3\" Cat<br />Best time: 15.095 at 90.00 MPH with a 2.127 60\'

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by scooby:
          This may have already been discussed or may even be stupid. I was watching classic car and driver or one of those shows and a fuel injected motor had a conical air filter coming straight out of the throttle body. This would greatly reduce air restriction through tubes. On a 3.4 motor this could help greatly because there is a ton of room in front of the motor for air to come up and enter the filter. I remember someone just ran a tube under the car with no filter and took like .5 off their et. Any ideas or thoughts?<hr></blockquote>

Well a tube with no filter would not be good, maybe for track use only but don't think I would even chance that, and .5 off your time with it, don't count on it. If you can find a place for your AIT sensor I say it is worth a try, you can always change it back no big deal. But is there enough room between the TB and radiator for a conical filter. I know you have a 3.4 but still could be a tight fit :D
          97 Red Firebird<br />Best N/A 1/4: 13.98<br />Best N/A MPH: 96.13<br />Best Nitrous 1/4: 12.49<br />Best Nitrous MPH: 108.53<p>2001 Pewter Camaro SS <br />GTP Stage II Heads, Pig Cam, Holley Intake, SLP Headers, SLP Lid, Vigalante 3600 Stall Converter, MagnaFlow Cat Back Exhaust, Duel Electric Cut-Outs<br />11.26@121

Comment

I had thought of the the hot air from the motor but I have a ram air hood. Some say this doesn't help until 65 mph or so and Idon't know wheather that would do it or not. A conical filter would fit as long as I could seal it around the throttle body. I like Camaro15's idea of ac ducting. I could cut a piece of something to run the full length of the air dam and cut a narrow hole in the air dam to allow air to flow to the radiator as well as up to the air filter. If this would be possible to build do you think there would be any noticeable gains?
            1995 Pontiac Firebird 3.4L <br />TA front bumper, TA rear bumper, 98-02 Honeycomb tailights, GM Ram Air hood, 2k C5 18X9.5 Corvette rims all the way around, custom autoloc shaved handles, camaro two tone interior, silver badging, clear front marker lenses, RK sport headers, gutted cat, dynomax dual exhaust, Rear disc rearend, Richmond 3.73 gears, Zexel torsen LSD, Cross drilled front rotors, 2 12\" MTX thunder 8000s, Clarion 400W amp, MTX 5 1/4 <br />Components, thunder 4262 amp, pioneer head unit, Hypertech power programmer (Yes it does exist)

Comment

Speaking of A/C ducting...

http://www.geocities.com/twocents29/misc.html

Check that out, and Brandon's custom CAI setup that knocked almost .4 off his E.T.
              Big cam. Big stall. Big nuts.<br /><br /><a href=\"http://www.streetlethal.net/vids2/joenastycam.MPG\" target=\"_blank\">Idle/Rev Clip.</a>

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Andy H
                Hello everyone!
                by Andy H
                Its been a while since I've been on the forum. Hope everyone is doing well. I still have my camaro! Unfortunately, the slave cylinder and clutch has went...
                2 weeks ago
              • 3.4 slow to go
                hey there strangers!
                by 3.4 slow to go
                been a while but looks like i'm back in the game thanks to my brother. he went and bought an'02 bird, and since i'm a technician at the nissan place...
                2 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
              Working...
              X