MAF Screen Mod

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Fin:

Actually, if you knew what you're talking about, a venturi doesn't involve any type of swirling. There are 2 types of venturi's, convergent & divergent, one involves an increase in air pressure but a drop in velocity, and vice-versa. There's no 'swirling' involved.
    <hr></blockquote>

I think he meant VORTEX.
    Robert - owner www.FirebirdV6.com "Mid-life crisis? I'm way beyond that!"

1996 Black Firebird GTxxxRam Air V6 w/ M5xxxwww.FirebirdGT.com

Raven

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Fin:

Actually, if you knew what you're talking about, a venturi doesn't involve any type of swirling. There are 2 types of venturi's, convergent & divergent, one involves an increase in air pressure but a drop in velocity, and vice-versa. There's no 'swirling' involved.
      <hr></blockquote>

Whoa , You know that sounded awfully rude.

Yes I meant a vortex

The venturi effect happens because fluid pressure drops as the fluid speed increases. If you force a fluid (for example: air or water) down a tube with a narrowing in it, the fluid will move faster through the narrow part. When it starts to move faster the pressure drops. In in internal combustion engine this is commonly used in carburetors to mix fuel with air. Air is sucked in the mouth of the carburetor and flow through the "throat" or narrow part of the carburetor. When it does this the pressure drops below the pressure of the air outside and sucks fuel from a small hole in the throat (the fuel "jet") with the fuel sprayed into the air, the mixture travels through the intake manifold into the cylinders where it is burnt for energy. A vortex is very easy to see. When you drain water from a sink there is a depression that forms over the drain. The water swirls around this depression as it travels to the drain. This swirling is caused by the Coriolis force from the rotation of the Earth. The vortex effect and the venturi effect are used together in Internal combustion engine to improve efficiency by making the fuel and air mix better in the throat of the carburetor, and as the fuel-air mixture moves down the intake manifold to the cylinder. "Swirl" a form of vortex, is used inside the cylinder to make the combustion of the fuel-air mixture occur smoothly and predictably. This increases efficiency and make the engine run smoothly. So, the vortex and venturi effects don't really help the gas move faster, but they encourage fuel and air to mix better giving a more even and efficient fuel burn.

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by knowledgefreak:
        Whoa , You know that sounded awfully rude.
        <hr></blockquote>

Didn't mean to sound rude. Just clearing up any confusion with the terminology.
        2001 Onyx Black Camaro M5-Totalled<br />2005 Ford F150 XLT 5.4L<br /><br />\"To make peace, prepare for war.\"

Comment

the swirling in your drain is not directly related to the Coriolis Effect...i know, i know...they teach you that in school and all; but look at the scale we are talking about.
          Weather patterns and other global surface and subterranean flows, yes the Coriolis effect plays huge role here...but on that other tiny crap...no way

if you don't believe me, do the math:
          place a sink in a free stream, and it's easy to see how a vortex will quickly form...
          Your sig is the most important part of your message. Make sure that you list EVERY single thing that you have done to your car so that we can all go \'oooh!\' and \'Ah!\'. Please make your sig consistently longer than anything else you post. Please include your lengthy sig with EVERY single post you make during a reply, even if you only reply with a monosyllable grunt.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Andy H
            Hello everyone!
            by Andy H
            Its been a while since I've been on the forum. Hope everyone is doing well. I still have my camaro! Unfortunately, the slave cylinder and clutch has went...
            3 weeks ago
          • 3.4 slow to go
            hey there strangers!
            by 3.4 slow to go
            been a while but looks like i'm back in the game thanks to my brother. he went and bought an'02 bird, and since i'm a technician at the nissan place...
            3 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
          Working...
          X