aussie intake

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• aussie intake

got my holden intake from austrailia today. cant wait to get started on this build now
    Attached Files

What are the plans? I had one and never had the opportunity to get to using it. I would love to see a few more builds with these!

2002 SOM Z28 Camaro - 12.9 @ 104 mph
    1996 3800 Camaro - 13.43 @ 100.77 mph

Project Cars | How To Guides | Scratch Repair | Synthetic Oil

Comment

It looks cool - but the US stock version is actually better - so don't expect some crazy performance gains.
      Robert - owner www.FirebirdV6.com "Mid-life crisis? I'm way beyond that!"

1996 Black Firebird GTxxxRam Air V6 w/ M5xxxwww.FirebirdGT.com

Raven

Comment

I thought I had read and understood their manifold actually flows a little better?

Comment

Originally posted by FirebirdGT View Post
          It looks cool - but the US stock version is actually better - so don't expect some crazy performance gains.
          I don't see how the us version is better. the long neck inlet of the f-body intake is a major choke point and the air distribution is terrible. the aussie version not only has better distribution but the intake runners are longer and the bell mouths at the top of the runners are better shaped for air velocity.

Comment

Originally posted by LETZRIDE View Post
            What are the plans? I had one and never had the opportunity to get to using it. I would love to see a few more builds with these!
            full engine rebuild, stage 2 intense heads, custom grind cam 210/216@.05, 512 lift, 110 lsa. assuie manifold. lq4 maf. 36lb injectors. hp tuners. already have headers and straight through exhaust ( no cat). monster tranny rebuild. 3600 stall. 3:73 rear gears.

Comment

Originally posted by mdiesel View Post

I don't see how the us version is better. the long neck inlet of the f-body intake is a major choke point and the air distribution is terrible. the aussie version not only has better distribution but the intake runners are longer and the bell mouths at the top of the runners are better shaped for air velocity.
              Bench tests proved otherwise.
              Robert - owner www.FirebirdV6.com "Mid-life crisis? I'm way beyond that!"

1996 Black Firebird GTxxxRam Air V6 w/ M5xxxwww.FirebirdGT.com

Raven

Comment

Do you have a link to the bench tests Robert? I am curious for the read and comparison

Comment

I'm still going with the aussie manifold. The f-body intake has slightly higher overall flow numbers . Shorter runners means more high end air flow. But there's not much you can do to it. To port the bell mouths and polish the plenum interior I would have to cut the top of the plenum off, do the porting and weld the top back on. Then I'd still be stuck with the stock plenum volume which is grossly undersized .
                  the stock aussie version has slightly higher air velocity, probably due to the longer runners. But more importantly it is super easy to port and polish every bit of the interior. And for as much as I can cut the cars cowl, I can add spacers under the plenum top and significantly increase plenum volume if I wanted to.

Comment

For uniqueness, I say go for it.

Comment

Sounds like a fun build, let us know how it goes.
                      08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
                      96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

I just updated my build thread over at a certain all-but-dead V6 forum and was thinking to myself, "Hey, does anybody even do builds on these cars anymore? Should I bother modifying my engine?"

It's nice to come on over and see this thread and another where the owners have big plans for their F-bodies. I haven't seen a Holden Intake install in ages. Good luck with the build and please keep us posted!

Comment

Originally posted by Namrepus28 View Post
                          I just updated my build thread over at a certain all-but-dead V6 forum and was thinking to myself, "Hey, does anybody even do builds on these cars anymore? Should I bother modifying my engine?"

It's nice to come on over and see this thread and another where the owners have big plans for their F-bodies. I haven't seen a Holden Intake install in ages. Good luck with the build and please keep us posted!
                          Yea, at one point I thought about getting an older model, but I've owned this car since I bought it new in 2000. I figure, technically it'll be a classic on 6 years, the body is in perfect condition, and I can build the 6 as a ballsy lil street car for allot less money than starting a whole new project, or switching this to a v8 platform. Next big step is to pull the motor/tranny from the car, dismantle it and check the cylinder bores to figure what engine shop work needs to get done. Now I just gotta find the time to do it...

Comment

Originally posted by Namrepus28 View Post

You should make a build thread here and give some of the newbs coming around some fresh ideas!

I am excited for this aussie intake build. I like seeing these and to me they have more potential even if they may flow less than our stock heads as it is much easier to build an upper.

Comment

Originally posted by LETZRIDE View Post

You should make a build thread here and give some of the newbs coming around some fresh ideas!

I am excited for this aussie intake build. I like seeing these and to me they have more potential even if they may flow less than our stock heads as it is much easier to build an upper.
                              Before I went through the trouble of getting this intake, I had several lengthy email conversations with Keith Abbot of abbot racing heads. He did mention that in a stock comparison of the f-body intake vs the aussie one, ours did win in overall airflow. But the flow bench doesn't tell you jack about the benefits of the improved air velocity and distribution of the aussie intake and how that improves throttle response. When you add in the factor of potential upgrades and ease of porting, the aussie intake was an easy decision for my build. That and I got a great deal on it, only $235 for the whole set up, including the shipping from Australia.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• ssms5411
                                Had to get another phone
                                by ssms5411
                                Well my iPhone 11 Pro Max took a dump, it’s in a boot up loop, will try and get it fixed and give it to my mom. So I got a new iPhone 15 pro max, everything...
                                1 week ago
                              • ssms5411
                                Leaking front cover
                                by ssms5411
                                So I’m still leaking coolant, I think it’s my front cover, going to double check when it’s alittle warmer, got the Zzp extra thick timing cover...
                                2 weeks ago
                              • transamtom1
                                Went to look at 2002 V6 Firebird Vert.
                                by transamtom1
                                Local car on a small lot just over 100k mikes(178,000 kms)

Silver with grey leather and black top 3.8L for $5400 cdn or $3975 usd as is....
                                3 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X