Stock exhaust manifolds and cat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stock exhaust manifolds and cat

I have been thinking about putting the stock exhaust manifolds and cat converter back on my 02 3.8 Camaro. I don't have my stock ones anymore so I'd need to buy them. Does anyone know where I could find them? I may need a new egr also.

Why you going back to stock? Ebay, craigslist or junk yard. Egr going to be impossible to find since we've already know they don't make them anymore, probably best to delete it all together with a tune.
    08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
    96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Not sure your reasoning for wanting to go back to stock - but I'll share this thread across some of the social media platforms to help out...

2002 SOM Z28 Camaro - 12.9 @ 104 mph
      1996 3800 Camaro - 13.43 @ 100.77 mph

Project Cars | How To Guides | Scratch Repair | Synthetic Oil

Comment

For reasons beyond my knowledge, I have two complete sets (all the way back through the cat) and an EGR. They're connected to bad engines headed for scrap one of these days. If this us an emissions thing, just get a 3" cat and jam it in there.... #problemsolver

Comment

My car ran better with just cat back exhaust and a k&n cold air intake. I definitely noticed more power after those 2 mods. But then ever since I got the headers and cat, my car hasn't felt right. When I start my car, somtimes I can hear this faint metal rattling sound that wasn't there before. Is that Normal since it's not stock anymore?

feels like the egr is leaking or there's an exhaust leak somewhere. At first the egr was leaking and had that sealed. Then the cat and y pipe needed to be welded.

Had my car checked several times asking them to check the egr and exhaust and make sure it's not leaking. Mechanic said there are no more leaks, But when I accelerate I feel this loss of power it's almost like this empty feeling, and I can hear air sounds and it's not pulling like it used to, with that steady exhaust note. and I think the reason could be..

1. I didn't block off the egr I just had it sealed. So that may not be a fully tight fit onto the headers.

2. There is some kind of exhaust leak somewhere.

3. I haven't had my car tuned.

the reasons I haven't used block off plates or had my car tuned is because I may be moving, and need to pass emissions. Plus if I got it tuned it's really expensive and I may just have to tune it back to stock again anyway which would be another expense. If I bought a tuner, I don't think I'd have the time right now to Learn how to use it. I really like how my car sounds, it sounds pretty deep at idle similar to a v8. I'm just not satisfied with the performance and various noises at times, So going back to stock exhaust manifolds, and cat may be my best option.

Thanks.

Comment

Still just thinking about it though, not sure yet what I'll do.

Comment

Originally posted by Camaro3800v6 View Post
              Still just thinking about it though, not sure yet what I'll do.
              Depending on your state laws, having your car brought back to stock could make it an easier sell for emissions. Colorado is pretty mean about emissions and can fail you without proper equipment. You can still make it legal with the right performance equipment. Personally I won't buy a used car if anything has been changed, but that's just me. Then I'll make performance adjustments when it mine and put it back to stock when I sell it.

Comment

So I got a magnaflow OEM cat put on. And now my check engine light is off. Think I'd be able to pass emissions with just headers, intake, and catback exhaust? Think all the parts say 50 state approved. Don't know much about emissions would that still fail in Colorado?

Also would a tune to make the intake/headers/exhaust run correctly make it fail emissions?

Comment

New cats are magic. Your old cat was prolly on its way out and now you have free flow with no restrictions. On the other hand to be sure your obd will dictate so many faults before your check engine light comes on. But it sounds like a really nice system.

Comment

Originally posted by Camaro3800v6 View Post
                    So I got a magnaflow OEM cat put on. And now my check engine light is off. Think I'd be able to pass emissions with just headers, intake, and catback exhaust? Think all the parts say 50 state approved. Don't know much about emissions would that still fail in Colorado?

Also would a tune to make the intake/headers/exhaust run correctly make it fail emissions?
                    A tune should not make you fail if it is tuned properly. However, with the high flow cat you may get a downstream o2 sensor code which will require either an O2 sim to be installed or a tune to be done to eliminate the code that could come up.

2002 SOM Z28 Camaro - 12.9 @ 104 mph
                    1996 3800 Camaro - 13.43 @ 100.77 mph

Project Cars | How To Guides | Scratch Repair | Synthetic Oil

Comment

Thanks appreciate it

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Andy H
                        Hello everyone!
                        by Andy H
                        Its been a while since I've been on the forum. Hope everyone is doing well. I still have my camaro! Unfortunately, the slave cylinder and clutch has went...
                        2 weeks ago
                      • 3.4 slow to go
                        hey there strangers!
                        by 3.4 slow to go
                        been a while but looks like i'm back in the game thanks to my brother. he went and bought an'02 bird, and since i'm a technician at the nissan place...
                        2 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X