No announcement yet.

Full Exhaust

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Today my check engine light came on and it's a cat code. Maybe the sensors went bad. Could the cat not be welded on right?

Thinking it is an exhaust leak. When driving with window down, the noise sounds more like it's coming from the left side.

Going back to shop first thing in the morning.

I think my egr is leaking. What would you do about the egr? The good news about today is, I got 4 brand new tires put on. Also my rim was making a loud noise and they fixed that for free.
    Last edited by Camaro3800v6; 07-16-2018, 10:53 PM.

Comment

If you went with a high flow cat you need an O2 sim in back O2 sensor. Due to the high flow cat the rear O2 sensor believes the cat is not functioning properly as it is outside of the factory perimeters. Since you don't have a tuner, you need to buy a sim.

Your exhaust guy probably doesn't like the single bolt hook up to the EGR - it isn't the best, but it's the only option. It will make a ticking sound if it is leaking. Make sure the metal piping is not broken that goes from the EGR to the header - if they weren't careful it could have broken.

Take a video of the car and the noise you are hearing and post it here (link to youtube) that will let us here what you are hearing and let us help you a little more.

If you damaged a spark plug the car would be misfiring like crazy

2002 SOM Z28 Camaro - 12.9 @ 104 mph
      1996 3800 Camaro - 13.43 @ 100.77 mph

Project Cars | How To Guides | Scratch Repair | Synthetic Oil

Comment

if my egr is broke, can that be easily fixed or will I have to get new one?

That sounds right that it's the egr causing the ticking because it sounds like noise is coming from that side of the car.

Going to exhaust shop in morning. very helpful to know this, I will definitely mention all of this tomorrow. Hopefully the problems will be solved, if not I'll see if I can take a video of the ticking noise.
        Last edited by Camaro3800v6; 07-17-2018, 04:36 AM.

Comment

If you are referring to the code being thrown you need to get an O2 sim to replace the rear O2 sensor- all highflow cats will give you that code- it is detecting conditions outside of stock parameters- it is no ones fault that is the result of a high flow cat

2002 SOM Z28 Camaro - 12.9 @ 104 mph
          1996 3800 Camaro - 13.43 @ 100.77 mph

Project Cars | How To Guides | Scratch Repair | Synthetic Oil

Comment

3" high flow cat is a 3" high flow cat, if you get a code from it then youll have to get a O2 sim or have it tuned out. The cat has nothing to do with a ticking sound unless it has a leak. The egr tube if thats where its leaking is easy to replace.
            Last edited by ssms5411; 07-17-2018, 01:38 PM.
            08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
            96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

O2 sim is easy, just plugs in. I would try a different shop if its still ticking, sounds like the guy doesn't want to deal with it.
              08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
              96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Afterthoughts auto has O2 simulators for $50.

Comment

https://www.afterthoughtsauto.com/o2sim.html

http://www.bigdaddiesgarage.com/straight-cel-fix.html
                  Last edited by FirebirdGT; 07-17-2018, 10:30 PM.
                  Robert - owner www.FirebirdV6.com "Mid-life crisis? I'm way beyond that!"

1996 Black Firebird GTxxxRam Air V6 w/ M5xxxwww.FirebirdGT.com

Raven

Comment

Thanks. so the ticking IS coming from the egr Tube where it connects to the headers. Where the tube and headers meet is not staying air tight, and the gasket is broken. had grips on holding it sealed and heard no ticking noises at all, even when driving. May have felt like I heard some air noise, but maybe that's just my headers.

Last edited by Camaro3800v6; 07-18-2018, 09:47 PM.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Andy H
                      Hello everyone!
                      by Andy H
                      Its been a while since I've been on the forum. Hope everyone is doing well. I still have my camaro! Unfortunately, the slave cylinder and clutch has went...
                      2 weeks ago
                    • 3.4 slow to go
                      hey there strangers!
                      by 3.4 slow to go
                      been a while but looks like i'm back in the game thanks to my brother. he went and bought an'02 bird, and since i'm a technician at the nissan place...
                      3 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X