Avoiding the rassssssp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Avoiding the rassssssp

I was curious; I just finally got rid of the rasp on my v6 camaro. Would adding in a pair of long tube hooker headers and a COMP CAMS GT1 Camshaft bring back the raspiness? I have a resonator, high flow Magnaflow cat, K&N CAI, and Flowmaster 40 series muffler. Thanks!:wavey:

Re: Avoiding the rassssssp

after years of break-in and carbon deposit, the tinny sound tends to go away. But other than that, at high rpm, a 6 banger will always sound like a 6 banger. I did not like my old set-up at the beginning, which was headers, 3 inch mandrel bent exhaust, with a flowmaster 80 series. and in replace of the cat I had a moroso bullet muffler. It took a year but after that I started to love it.
    96 Camaro M5. Dark metallic gree (?dont know the offical color name)<br />Home made Intake :: Headers, 3inch headers back to Flowmaster muffler :: spec stage 3 clutch Now installed, waiting for 3.42\'s and LSD next month<br /><a href=\"http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/RiceEatingCamaro/?action=view&current=newcar.jpg\" target=\"_blank\">My Car</a> <br /><br />Totalled Car.<br /><a href=\"http://bellsouthpwp.net/s/k/sk8er305/\" target=\"_blank\">96 CamaroRS</a>

Comment

Originally posted by Camaroman92 View Post
      I was curious; I just finally got rid of the rasp on my v6 camaro. Would adding in a pair of long tube hooker headers and a COMP CAMS GT1 Camshaft bring back the raspiness? I have a resonator, high flow Magnaflow cat, K&N CAI, and Flowmaster 40 series muffler. Thanks!:wavey:
      Is this for a 3.4 or newer 5th gen? Hooker doesn't have longtubes for the 3.8 is why I ask.

Comment

I think it's for the 3.8 since the tags on it are "3.8, exhaust noise, flowmaster, rasp, raspy."
        96 Camaro M5. Dark metallic gree (?dont know the offical color name)<br />Home made Intake :: Headers, 3inch headers back to Flowmaster muffler :: spec stage 3 clutch Now installed, waiting for 3.42\'s and LSD next month<br /><a href=\"http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/RiceEatingCamaro/?action=view&current=newcar.jpg\" target=\"_blank\">My Car</a> <br /><br />Totalled Car.<br /><a href=\"http://bellsouthpwp.net/s/k/sk8er305/\" target=\"_blank\">96 CamaroRS</a>

Comment

Yes, it's the 3.8. It doesn't sound tinny now. I got rid of it with my new flowmaster setup, and it no longer sounds like a tin can full of rocks. I was just wondering in general will headers or camshaft upgrades make it raspy again since they'll let the engine breath better? Everyone keeps telling me it'll get the rasp back if I add headers of any brand, shorties or long tube.

Comment

IIRC, the rasp is mostly controlled in the muffler and piping, the headers will make it louder, that is true but if you use the right piping size and muffler, you can renegate the rasp. A cam won't make the rasp come back as far as I know but it will make the exhaust sound more "lopey"

Comment

Originally posted by Nas Escobar View Post
              IIRC, the rasp is mostly controlled in the muffler and piping, the headers will make it louder, that is true but if you use the right piping size and muffler, you can renegate the rasp. A cam won't make the rasp come back as far as I know but it will make the exhaust sound more "lopey"
              I do want the lope. I like the sound with the Flowmaster's. So what you're saying is with headers, there's a chance there's no rasp? I have the cat in the mid and the resonator in the rear, and it's all 3" through out. I only went that big because it was pipe I already had and it was free. Sounds good right now though. The rasp is already going away from what little I had the day I installed my exhaust. I would like the exhaust a hair louder, now are short headers any quieter than long headers? I'm more looking at the sound right now more than hp gains. I have my comp cams GT1, and I think I'm going to install that this weekend. I want a mean sounding v6. I know with the cylinder count I'll never get a v8 when I accelerate. Lol

Comment

They don't make long tube headers for our 3.8, FFF did awhile ago but not anymore, they have short headers and thats about it. Pacesetter list theirs as mid length but their still shorties. GT1 will lope alittle and should give you some more pick up, I would have it tuned to get the most out of it.
                08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
                96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Originally posted by Camaroman92 View Post
                  I do want the lope. I like the sound with the Flowmaster's. So what you're saying is with headers, there's a chance there's no rasp? I have the cat in the mid and the resonator in the rear, and it's all 3" through out. I only went that big because it was pipe I already had and it was free. Sounds good right now though. The rasp is already going away from what little I had the day I installed my exhaust. I would like the exhaust a hair louder, now are short headers any quieter than long headers? I'm more looking at the sound right now more than hp gains. I have my comp cams GT1, and I think I'm going to install that this weekend. I want a mean sounding v6. I know with the cylinder count I'll never get a v8 when I accelerate. Lol
                  In a way yes, but what I would like to state before you take what I posted as fact is that the rasp lies within the muffler and sometimes the piping used. There's 3800 Camaros on youtube that don't have the rasp BUT the details are key... it all lies within the cat and the muffler because those are the biggest restrictions on a car. It's the same way that the 3800 sounds like a ricer Honda with stock piping and no muffler... it's really annoying and not at all muscular.

Also, there's no long headers for the 3800 Camaro. Only shorty's, but I think you can have a set custom made. That might be an ask Milzy thing (he does stuff for Camaros too). The loudness of the headers also depends on how the piping is made. I know on 4 bangers, a 4-2-1 header is loads better than a 4-1 header and can make the engine sound more muscular (within reason though, it's never going to sound like a V8) and the reason for that is that the 4-1 header simply joins all exhaust ports together where as a 4-2-1 header doesn't join together at once, thus creating a better sound. So to answer your question, you may not be 100% satisfied with shorty headers since they're more or less the same as the stock ones.

IDK much about his set up, but I like his aggressive idle

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXCynf4JPVo

Here's how you would sound with a Pacecetter, keeping your 3 inch piping but with a Flowmaster 80

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WIumnh9nXUU

Comment

mine, no cam
                    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KmcVagHm9Rs

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Andy H
                      Hello everyone!
                      by Andy H
                      Its been a while since I've been on the forum. Hope everyone is doing well. I still have my camaro! Unfortunately, the slave cylinder and clutch has went...
                      2 weeks ago
                    • 3.4 slow to go
                      hey there strangers!
                      by 3.4 slow to go
                      been a while but looks like i'm back in the game thanks to my brother. he went and bought an'02 bird, and since i'm a technician at the nissan place...
                      2 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X