Intermediate Pipe Diameter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Intermediate Pipe Diameter

Reading the dyno data, I see 196 at the wheels but you're expecting 220-230 after installing a T56.

Does that mean you figure the automatic is costing you 24-34-hp or are you planning other engine mods at the same time.

Also, in re: the T56...which first gear ratio are you using and what axle ratio are you using?

Comment

Originally posted by Hib Halverson View Post
      No, you won't see similar results, but you likely will not loose on the top end and you may gain a little in the mid-range, but...once you do add an aftermarket cam and some head work, your engine will love you for it.

That said, if you're still running a stock cat, if you're going to spring for the 3" S-pipe and so forth, make sure your exhaust shop does it right. The stock cat on a 3.8 V6 has a 3" outlet but it reduces almost immediately to 2.5 and then, a little more down stream, to 2.25. Your exhaust shop will have to cut the old system off right at the first weld downstream of the cat. A good exhaust guy can do that.

An alternative is to use that aftermarket 3" cat I used in the article.

This old wive's tail about 3" exhaust killing power on V6s with full exhaust systems has been around for years. Now, I'll admit, if the car has tuned 3-into-1 headers and the proper collector length and open exhaust, then the collector diameter and the primary pipe diameter starts to be important.

On a street car, however, with a 2-into-1 Y-pipe, a cat and an over-axle exhaust and, if necessary, the a calibration change to go with the lower restriction, the idea that 3" is going to kill power compared to 2.5 is, IMO, nuts.

But, hey...I'm still "Lookin' for 13's"...right?:eek:
      Well the pacesetter y pipe is 3" and the magnaflow cat is also 3". The borla muffler is also 3". I just wanted to ask about the intermediate pipe, because I am unsure about it!

Comment

Originally posted by nwilson44 View Post
        Well the pacesetter y pipe is 3" and the magnaflow cat is also 3". The borla muffler is also 3". I just wanted to ask about the intermediate pipe, because I am unsure about it!
        You'll need a 3" mandrel bend over the axle(llo on Summit Racing), also a S bend(you can get a 180 bend and cut it in half and then weld together). Might as well do a full 3" ,you got everything else for it.
        08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
        96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Reading the dyno data, I see 196 at the wheels but you're expecting 220-230 after installing a T56.

Does that mean you figure the automatic is costing you 24-34-hp or are you planning other engine mods at the same time.

Also, in re: the T56...which first gear ratio are you using and what axle ratio are you using?
          Hib, the unlocked converter was really loose. It dyno'd more early on when locked but it wasnt happy at that point so we kept it unlocked to preserve the stall and had some kr we couldnt find.

Found broken engine bracket bolts that next week lol!

Using the GTO T56 and running stock 3.42s so:
          2.97/2.07/1.43/1.0/.84/.63
          It is the MM6 ratio, so I believe the same as the Z06.

Comment

Originally posted by WarShrike View Post
            (snip)

Using the GTO T56 and running stock 3.42s so:
            2.97/2.07/1.43/1.0/.84/.63
            It is the MM6 ratio, so I believe the same as the Z06.
            Wow, 2.97 w 3.42, that's a tall final drive in first gear.

I've toyed with the idea if putting a T56 in my car but the cost, the added weight and, unless I change the axle ratio, too, the final drive ratios in the lower gears are not very good.

When I started mathing out the various T56 ratios and axle ratios, a combination of a 2.66 low gear and a 4.56 axle gave me about the same final drive in first, a fourth gear where third gear was with the five speed and a high-gear about the same as the five speed. In effect, I put four gears where the first three of the five speed were and two gears where only fifth was before and fourth being the same with both gear boxes, 4.55 vs 4.56.

The reason I'd think this would work great is the car is not going to launch very hard if I go with a T56, which it's much higher first gear, unless I go much lower with the axle. Of course then, with a 4.56 axle, you have the problems very high driveshaft speeds bring.

The other configurations I've studied are the 2.97 low gear with either a 3.73 or a 4.10 axle.

With a 2.97 low and a 3.42 axle you're 10.16 in first, much higher than you have been with the five speed manual and 3.42s., 12.83. That means the car won't launch as hard. Of course, you're going from an automatic (3.06 low) to a six speed so the difference in first gear will be even greater because you're giving up the torque converter.
            Last edited by Hib Halverson; 01-01-2014, 12:48 PM.

Comment

Yup. It isnt that bad really though. Makes it easier for tooling through parking lots and driving to work because we have 10mph limit for three blocks lol!

6th is sweet because Im doing maybe 1800rpm at 70.

It is a sport ratio though. Im pretty happy with first and it helps get the car motivated and I dont have any problems shifting quickly under hard accel.

Comment

What clutch housing and/or adapter did you use?

What trans cross member?

Which shifter did you use?

Comment

What clutch housing and/or adapter did you use?
                  Mal-Wood adapter, GTO T-56 bellhousing. Stock T-5 flywheel and a Centerforce clutch.

What trans cross member?
                  BMR relocation cross member that has been modified.

Which shifter did you use?
                  MGW F-body shifter.

Here's the writeup I did: http://www.fullthrottlev6.com/forums...l-Wood-Adapter

Comment

I have a few more questions, but rather than further hijack this exhaust thread, I'll PM you later.

Comment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VCiWBeKvuoA

Comment

Originally posted by nwilson44 View Post
                        No rev. sounds clips? How does it drive now can you notice a difference?
                        08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
                        96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

What pipe did you use to go over the axle? I see where it makes the 90* into the muffler it's not a mandrel bend.
                          aka FreedStyle
                          Chaddrich Freed

(1 of 443) 2002 SLP Firebird GT #107 (244rwhp/254rwtq naturally aspirated)
                          2008 Silverado Crew Cab 5.3L 4x4

Comment

Originally posted by ssms5411 View Post
                            No rev. sounds clips? How does it drive now can you notice a difference?
                            Sorry! I am editing the other video now, it'll be up shortly. Yeah it made a very noticeable contrast compared to the stock cat back.

Comment

Originally posted by CFreed11 View Post
                              What pipe did you use to go over the axle? I see where it makes the 90* into the muffler it's not a mandrel bend.
                              I used a mandrel bent 3" intermediate pipe. yeah the 90 degree bends are not mandrel come to find out. I was just happy to have it done, I left. I'll probably end up addressing it soon.

Comment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Yzf4m8Pyw8

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Andy H
                                  Hello everyone!
                                  by Andy H
                                  Its been a while since I've been on the forum. Hope everyone is doing well. I still have my camaro! Unfortunately, the slave cylinder and clutch has went...
                                  2 weeks ago
                                • 3.4 slow to go
                                  hey there strangers!
                                  by 3.4 slow to go
                                  been a while but looks like i'm back in the game thanks to my brother. he went and bought an'02 bird, and since i'm a technician at the nissan place...
                                  3 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X