Intermediate Pipe Diameter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intermediate Pipe Diameter

Hey guys! Hope everyone had a great Christmas! I wanted to ask something that may have been answered already but I wanted to be specific to my set up because I am finishing up my exhaust.

My car is a 2001 and I have the Ceramic coated Pacesetters and their 3 inch y pipe, and magnaflow catalytic converter. It is currently connected to the stock cat back.

What I know for sure is that the stock cat back is going in the trash! I have a Borla XR-1 Muffler coming in (unless I have some evidence not to get it) and I am having issues deciding on a diameter of the intermediate pipe. Originally I thought a 3 inch is perfect since it matches my y pipe and cat. However I have someone telling me that that may be too big for the V6, and that the V6 doesnt move enough air for that big of a pipe. They recommended a 2.5. Any objections? Will I rob my power and torque with a 3 inch!?!??! Help?!

There is a whole discussion I'm talking about page after page on here or full throttle v6 of this myth. Its never been proven but people say they feel the differences between having the 2.5 and a 3" system. As for me I couldn't tell you since my car is runing stock exhaust other than the flowmaster muffler.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk

Comment

Re: Intermediate Pipe Diameter

Originally posted by FIREBIRDV6RAGE View Post
      There is a whole discussion I'm talking about page after page on here or full throttle v6 of this myth. Its never been proven but people say they feel the differences between having the 2.5 and a 3" system. As for me I couldn't tell you since my car is runing stock exhaust other than the flowmaster muffler.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk
      I read all the theory behind the smaller vs larger but it was all generalized. I wanted to hear from some people that have tried and tested it on their cars. I dont know if I should go with 2.5 or 3 inch. I really wanted to know before putting on either or.

Comment

Stock size is 2.25" for V6 and 2.75" for V8. Aftermarket Cat-backs use 2.5" for V6 and 3" for V8.

Robert - owner www.FirebirdV6.com "Mid-life crisis? I'm way beyond that!"

1996 Black Firebird GTxxxRam Air V6 w/ M5xxxwww.FirebirdGT.com

Raven

Comment

Originally posted by FirebirdGT View Post
          Stock size is 2.25" for V6 and 2.75" for V8. Aftermarket Cat-backs use 2.5" for V6 and 3" for V8.

So for the 3.8, the 2.5 is probably the best way to go?

Comment

"Intermediate Pipe

The intermediate pipe carries the gases from the cat to the muffler at the rear of the vehicle. The stock one on the 3.8 is 2.25" in diameter and is also a site of great loss of flow. High flow I-pipes use larger diameters and Mandrel bends, which are the exact same diameter through a bend. (Imagine taking a pipe and bending it 90 degrees--the interior diameter decreases in the bend, right? Mandrel bending prevents this, the metal is actually molded as a bend.) The larger diameters available are 2.5" (124% of stock cross-sectional area) or 3" (178% of stock cross-sectional area, usually sold as upgrades for V8 models but a great choice for V6 owners). Intermediate pipes are usually not sold seperately; rather, they are sold together with a muffler and tips as part of a catback exhaust system.

Be warned: muffler shops often sell "high performance" intermediate pipes seperately but these are not Mandrel bent--they are straight pipes that are bent by a machine at the shop. Mandrel bends are a requirement for high-performance use. Do not buy a custom bent pipe if you care about performance. They are not equal, regardless of what the muffler shop mechanic tries to tell you."

This is what our site says about them. I am just having people tell me that the 3 inch is going to kill my low end torque. I just wanted to know what I should do for the best performance.

Comment

I ran 3" for a while, then went back to 2.5 inch. I saw no increase in the top end from a 3 inch exhaust but did notice that it was a dog until about 3500 rpms. My last setup was 2.25 inch x-pipe, and I loved it. With the cam I was running I revved all the way to redline and felt it make power all the way.
              Team NoVa

2000 Firebird- Intake, Pacesetters, !cat, full 2.5 to flowcrapster, 1.9 rockers, LS6 springs and Intense modded retainers, WS6 speedlines, T/A bumpers and hatch, 5 spd swapped, SOON TO BE nitrous'd and cammed.

Comment

Originally posted by flamingchicken View Post
                I ran 3" for a while, then went back to 2.5 inch. I saw no increase in the top end from a 3 inch exhaust but did notice that it was a dog until about 3500 rpms. My last setup was 2.25 inch x-pipe, and I loved it. With the cam I was running I revved all the way to redline and felt it make power all the way.
                So the 3" took your low end torque and didnt pay you back with top end power?! Do you think the 2.75" mandrel bent, would be a good happy medium or the 2.5" is the best?

Comment

Probably over ten years ago someome did a test on 3" catback vs stock diameter and cleraly showed a 8 hp gain but tq.pretty much stayed the same.

If your car is heavily modified especially with force induction then you'd be better off having this. But if your car is close to stock then go with a smaller.diameter.

Comment

Originally posted by 2.8 Bird View Post
                    Probably over ten years ago someome did a test on 3" catback vs stock diameter and cleraly showed a 8 hp gain but tq.pretty much stayed the same.

If your car is heavily modified especially with force induction then you'd be better off having this. But if your car is close to stock then go with a smaller.diameter.
                    Okay so with full bolt ons and a custom tune 2.75 is best?

Comment

I like my 2.5" I could feel a little noticeable difference over stock and gave it a little better tone. you can get one form rockauto shipped for $100

Walker part # 47696

then add your muffler of choice.
                      mine Borla pro xs

Comment

Okay thats great to know! anyone with the 2.75" pipe?

Comment

Originally posted by nwilson44 View Post
                          Okay so with full bolt ons and a custom tune 2.75 is best?
                          Imo I would just go with 3" since it's only a quarter difference and it's only a single pipe. It's already dyno proven and plus you'll get more power at your midrange rpm all the way to redline. It'll make your car sound better too.

Comment

Originally posted by 2.8 Bird View Post
                            Imo I would just go with 3" since it's only a quarter difference and it's only a single pipe. It's already dyno proven and plus you'll get more power at your midrange rpm all the way to redline. It'll make your car sound better too.
                            That was my original thought. But guys have been saying that 3" is too much for the 6 cylinder, and I'll loose bottom end and mid range, and I am afraid of loosing either. I want some top end too, but I dont want to loose anything.

Comment

I like my 3" pipping.
                              08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
                              96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• 3.4 slow to go
                                hey there strangers!
                                by 3.4 slow to go
                                been a while but looks like i'm back in the game thanks to my brother. he went and bought an'02 bird, and since i'm a technician at the nissan place...
                                6 hours ago
                              • ssms5411
                                Had to get another phone
                                by ssms5411
                                Well my iPhone 11 Pro Max took a dump, it’s in a boot up loop, will try and get it fixed and give it to my mom. So I got a new iPhone 15 pro max, everything...
                                1 week ago
                              • ssms5411
                                Leaking front cover
                                by ssms5411
                                So I’m still leaking coolant, I think it’s my front cover, going to double check when it’s alittle warmer, got the Zzp extra thick timing cover...
                                2 weeks ago
                              • transamtom1
                                Went to look at 2002 V6 Firebird Vert.
                                by transamtom1
                                Local car on a small lot just over 100k mikes(178,000 kms)

Silver with grey leather and black top 3.8L for $5400 cdn or $3975 usd as is....
                                3 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X