EGR Tube?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: EGR Tube?!

My car is a 2001. Okay maybe its something else then. The big black thing directly to the left of the EGR connection on the intake manifold. It has a connection to the harness and a black line that runs with the fuel lines. Not sure what it is.

Comment

Originally posted by nwilson44 View Post
      My car is a 2001. Okay maybe its something else then. The big black thing directly to the left of the EGR connection on the intake manifold. It has a connection to the harness and a black line that runs with the fuel lines. Not sure what it is.
      That is NOT an IACV - you don't have one as you have an electronic TB.

That is the fuel tank vapor purge solenoid.
      Robert - owner www.FirebirdV6.com "Mid-life crisis? I'm way beyond that!"

1996 Black Firebird GTxxxRam Air V6 w/ M5xxxwww.FirebirdGT.com

Raven

Comment

Originally posted by FirebirdGT View Post
        That is NOT an IACV - you don't have one as you have an electronic TB.

That is the fuel tank vapor purge solenoid.
        Ohh okay gotcha. so you just leave that bad boy plugged in?

Comment

Originally posted by nwilson44 View Post
          Ohh okay gotcha. so you just leave that bad boy plugged in?
          Yes

Robert - owner www.FirebirdV6.com "Mid-life crisis? I'm way beyond that!"

1996 Black Firebird GTxxxRam Air V6 w/ M5xxxwww.FirebirdGT.com

Raven

Comment

Just bought those block off plates. Cant wait to get that back.

Comment

Several years ago, on my '01, I had the EGR pipe crack just above where it is attached to the valve. Fortunately, back then, I could still order the part from GM.

Three concerns with disabling EGR

1) If you have the car registered in a state that uses an IM240 style of emissions test...where they put the car on a chassis dyno to test it, you probably will need EGR to pass the NOx test.

2) If you have the car registered in a state with uses a "two-part" emissions test with a "visual inspection" and a tail-pipe emission test, they're going to see that you blocked off the EGR and flunk you.

3) Engines with EGR have different part throttle spark timing than engines without EGR. In some cases where EGR is removed, the engine have part throttle knock retard and maybe even audible detonation. Because of that, if you disable EGR, you may need to go into the cal with HPTuners or equivalent software and redo the spark tables for part throttle.

Comment

Originally posted by Hib Halverson View Post
                Several years ago, on my '01, I had the EGR pipe crack just above where it is attached to the valve. Fortunately, back then, I could still order the part from GM.

Three concerns with disabling EGR

1) If you have the car registered in a state that uses an IM240 style of emissions test...where they put the car on a chassis dyno to test it, you probably will need EGR to pass the NOx test.

2) If you have the car registered in a state with uses a "two-part" emissions test with a "visual inspection" and a tail-pipe emission test, they're going to see that you blocked off the EGR and flunk you.

3) Engines with EGR have different part throttle spark timing than engines without EGR. In some cases where EGR is removed, the engine have part throttle knock retard and maybe even audible detonation. Because of that, if you disable EGR, you may need to go into the cal with HPTuners or equivalent software and redo the spark tables for part throttle.
                Yeah I planned on having it tuned out. But it'll be like 2 weeks before I could do that.

Comment

Only in the big cities of Texas(Houston, Dallas/Fort Worth, Austin) do they actually have emissions test. Elsewhere its usually just a visual thing. If you can find a place that barely runs through the inspection and doesn't really check much except the brakes and lights that would be the thing to do. Or if you know somebody that's an inspector that's always a help too.

Comment

In El Paso they plug it up to the diag port, no sniffer. I had my egr tube crack once, I went to a salvage yard and bought one (valve, both pipes, and the middle part) paid like $50 for it. Might be worth running around to get it.
                    Team NoVa

2000 Firebird- Intake, Pacesetters, !cat, full 2.5 to flowcrapster, 1.9 rockers, LS6 springs and Intense modded retainers, WS6 speedlines, T/A bumpers and hatch, 5 spd swapped, SOON TO BE nitrous'd and cammed.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• ssms5411
                      Had to get another phone
                      by ssms5411
                      Well my iPhone 11 Pro Max took a dump, it’s in a boot up loop, will try and get it fixed and give it to my mom. So I got a new iPhone 15 pro max, everything...
                      1 week ago
                    • ssms5411
                      Leaking front cover
                      by ssms5411
                      So I’m still leaking coolant, I think it’s my front cover, going to double check when it’s alittle warmer, got the Zzp extra thick timing cover...
                      2 weeks ago
                    • transamtom1
                      Went to look at 2002 V6 Firebird Vert.
                      by transamtom1
                      Local car on a small lot just over 100k mikes(178,000 kms)

Silver with grey leather and black top 3.8L for $5400 cdn or $3975 usd as is....
                      3 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X