EGR Tube?! - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

EGR Tube?!

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Re: EGR Tube?!

    My car is a 2001. Okay maybe its something else then. The big black thing directly to the left of the EGR connection on the intake manifold. It has a connection to the harness and a black line that runs with the fuel lines. Not sure what it is.

    Comment


    • #17
      Re: EGR Tube?!

      Originally posted by nwilson44 View Post
      My car is a 2001. Okay maybe its something else then. The big black thing directly to the left of the EGR connection on the intake manifold. It has a connection to the harness and a black line that runs with the fuel lines. Not sure what it is.
      That is NOT an IACV - you don't have one as you have an electronic TB.

      That is the fuel tank vapor purge solenoid.
      .
      Robert - owner www.FirebirdV6.com "Mid-life crisis? I'm way beyond that!"

      1996 Black Firebird GTxxxRam Air V6 w/ M5xxxwww.FirebirdGT.com

      Raven

      Comment


      • #18
        Re: EGR Tube?!

        Originally posted by FirebirdGT View Post
        That is NOT an IACV - you don't have one as you have an electronic TB.

        That is the fuel tank vapor purge solenoid.
        .
        Ohh okay gotcha. so you just leave that bad boy plugged in?

        Comment


        • #19
          Re: EGR Tube?!

          Originally posted by nwilson44 View Post
          Ohh okay gotcha. so you just leave that bad boy plugged in?
          Yes

          .
          Robert - owner www.FirebirdV6.com "Mid-life crisis? I'm way beyond that!"

          1996 Black Firebird GTxxxRam Air V6 w/ M5xxxwww.FirebirdGT.com

          Raven

          Comment


          • #20
            Re: EGR Tube?!

            Just bought those block off plates. Cant wait to get that back.

            Comment


            • #21
              Re: EGR Tube?!

              Several years ago, on my '01, I had the EGR pipe crack just above where it is attached to the valve. Fortunately, back then, I could still order the part from GM.


              Three concerns with disabling EGR

              1) If you have the car registered in a state that uses an IM240 style of emissions test...where they put the car on a chassis dyno to test it, you probably will need EGR to pass the NOx test.

              2) If you have the car registered in a state with uses a "two-part" emissions test with a "visual inspection" and a tail-pipe emission test, they're going to see that you blocked off the EGR and flunk you.

              3) Engines with EGR have different part throttle spark timing than engines without EGR. In some cases where EGR is removed, the engine have part throttle knock retard and maybe even audible detonation. Because of that, if you disable EGR, you may need to go into the cal with HPTuners or equivalent software and redo the spark tables for part throttle.

              Comment


              • #22
                Re: EGR Tube?!

                Originally posted by Hib Halverson View Post
                Several years ago, on my '01, I had the EGR pipe crack just above where it is attached to the valve. Fortunately, back then, I could still order the part from GM.


                Three concerns with disabling EGR

                1) If you have the car registered in a state that uses an IM240 style of emissions test...where they put the car on a chassis dyno to test it, you probably will need EGR to pass the NOx test.

                2) If you have the car registered in a state with uses a "two-part" emissions test with a "visual inspection" and a tail-pipe emission test, they're going to see that you blocked off the EGR and flunk you.

                3) Engines with EGR have different part throttle spark timing than engines without EGR. In some cases where EGR is removed, the engine have part throttle knock retard and maybe even audible detonation. Because of that, if you disable EGR, you may need to go into the cal with HPTuners or equivalent software and redo the spark tables for part throttle.
                Yeah I planned on having it tuned out. But it'll be like 2 weeks before I could do that.

                Comment


                • #23
                  Re: EGR Tube?!

                  Only in the big cities of Texas(Houston, Dallas/Fort Worth, Austin) do they actually have emissions test. Elsewhere its usually just a visual thing. If you can find a place that barely runs through the inspection and doesn't really check much except the brakes and lights that would be the thing to do. Or if you know somebody that's an inspector that's always a help too.

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Re: EGR Tube?!

                    In El Paso they plug it up to the diag port, no sniffer. I had my egr tube crack once, I went to a salvage yard and bought one (valve, both pipes, and the middle part) paid like $50 for it. Might be worth running around to get it.
                    Team NoVa

                    2000 Firebird- Intake, Pacesetters, !cat, full 2.5 to flowcrapster, 1.9 rockers, LS6 springs and Intense modded retainers, WS6 speedlines, T/A bumpers and hatch, 5 spd swapped, SOON TO BE nitrous'd and cammed.

                    Comment

                    Latest Topics

                    Collapse

                    FORUM SPONSORS

                    Collapse
                    Working...
                    X