Best replacement cat?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best replacement cat?

So a guy at the exhaust shop told me that the California approved cats provide more power than the 49 state cats. What is the best cat I can use as far as power is concerned? I want the most power, Im not too concerned with emissions. Is he telling the truth?

Re: Best replacement cat?

I would say it B.S. Cali has the most strict emissions. If your not worried about emissions just straight pipe it and have the code tuned out.
    08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
    96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Or replace it with a resonator.

Comment

I agree with the BS call.

Get a high flow Cat or delete it.

Comment

Thats what I want to do but i think my car is a California car... So i think my computer might be tuned to accept a cali cat. Will the hypertech fix that? or do I need another tune? or Have GM erase that?

Comment

Hypertech won't do anything, you could have PCM4less or someplace delete the code if your not worried about emissions then run what you want. Also theirs no such thing as Cali tunning it to run on a certain CAT, its just 50 state legal cat ,no more programing than a regular car if its from Cali or not.
            08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
            96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Yeah how do I delete the cat and tell the computer that its deleted? Will this increase performance or decrease performance?

Comment

On a stock or near stock engine, cat removal may result in a small change in performance.

Even if your car has California emissions, the "tuning" in the ECM, while it may be specific to a CA car, is not going to "care" whether the replacement cat is CA-approved or not. You only need to worry about that if the car is registered in California.

If an exhaust shop told you California cats make more power, he's either misinformed or blowing smoke up your butt. There will be little or no difference in performance of a CA-approved cat and a 49-state cat and, if there is, the 49-state cat will be better.

As for altering the calibration to prevent any "cat efficiency" codes from setting, know that doing so is a violation of Federal law so, to stay legal, you can only do that for racing or other off-road use. Someone who knows calibration has to go in and select "error mode 3" (no error reported) for the diagnostic tests related to the cat along with those related to the rear O2S.

You might think twice about doing that because the cost of having some aftermarket cal guy change your programming might exceed the cost of putting a new cat on the car.

A great replacement cat which is bigger in diameter and is low restriction is the Magnaflow 40006. I replaced the stock cat on my '01 with that unit and a bigger S-pipe and saw about 5-hp at the wheels. Now...part of that is from the bigger S-pipe, but that big Magnaflow cat, at the least, had no negative effect on performance. I believe the OE application for the 40006 is a front-drive V8 Cadillac. I bought my Magnaflow cat on Amazon and it was pretty reasonable.
                Last edited by Hib Halverson; 06-08-2013, 07:30 AM. Reason: added content

Comment

Okay that clears that up. Last couple of questions on this issue. If I buy the the pacesetters will they come with new gaskets between the y pipe and header? And which universal cat will fit on the pacesetter y pipe? My car is a 2001

Comment

And thanks for the help.

Comment

A 3" cat will clamp to the pacesetter Y-pipe.

Comment

Originally posted by nwilson44 View Post
                        Okay that clears that up. Last couple of questions on this issue. If I buy the the pacesetters will they come with new gaskets between the y pipe and header? And which universal cat will fit on the pacesetter y pipe? My car is a 2001
                        I don't know how Pacesetter sells their headersets nor do I know the O.D. of the outlet pipe.

My suggestion would be to contact Pacesetter by phone or email and ask them if you get two gaskets. Also, ask them the OD of the outlet. Then, look for a cat which will fit that pipe size.

Comment

The pacesetter gaskets are garbage, you will won't to get some good oe replacements.

Comment

Yes the Pacesetters are garbage pick up some Felpros.

Comment

Originally posted by ssms5411 View Post
                              Yes the Pacesetters are garbage pick up some Felpros.
                              Do I have to get that from the dealer or does like O'reilly or autozone have them? And what Cat do I buy to fit the Pacesetter y-pipe?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Andy H
                                Hello everyone!
                                by Andy H
                                Its been a while since I've been on the forum. Hope everyone is doing well. I still have my camaro! Unfortunately, the slave cylinder and clutch has went...
                                3 weeks ago
                              • 3.4 slow to go
                                hey there strangers!
                                by 3.4 slow to go
                                been a while but looks like i'm back in the game thanks to my brother. he went and bought an'02 bird, and since i'm a technician at the nissan place...
                                3 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X