Gauging interest in '98 3800 intakes - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gauging interest in '98 3800 intakes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gauging interest in '98 3800 intakes

I'm gauging interest on a parts package I'm testing out. I'm working on putting together a package mainly for '98 V6 cars that would help with the less than ideal intake setup on our cars. Some of the areas I'm addressing are the upper and lower intake box, bellows, and throttle body.

Since Whisper no longer offers the '98 intake lids, I'm going to have lids that have been smoothed for better flow. I had a Whisper lid at one point, and sold it simply because I didn't like the fit and finish, and I felt as though I had lost some throttle response. I'll also have lower airboxes and shields that have been cut for the ram air mod, and should accept any aftermarket intake scoop, such as the SSRA or SLP scoops. If there is enough interest, I may start trying to mold some scoops from fiberglass or carbon fiber.

For the factory bellows and intake silencer, I'll have a new set of rubber elbows that look similar to but flow better than the factory accordion bellows. There will also be a smooth plastic connection tube that will connect the coupler elbows together and provide much better flow over the factory setup.

And as for the throttle bodies, I do some extensive porting, as well as adjust the throttle blade and shaft to provide the full range of motion. This will allow you to go full throttle, and correct the voltage at wide open. Although with this mod, I do recommend for auto trans owners that you add a shift kit and Corvette upshift servo to the trans, as well as have a full flush done with newer Dex 6 fluid. I also recommend going to the NGK TR55 plugs and running premium, but that's my preference.

I'm trying to make these mods so they will go virtually undetected, at least at first glance, so hopefully those of you in areas that require a visual inspection won't get dinged. I don't know how these will work on cars that need to pass a sniff test, but I'm sure someone could help me out with that part.

I've done all these mods on my car, and have been extremely pleased with them. My car currently has over 140k on it, but has been well cared for. And now with these mods, even with the stock exhaust, I have no problem lighting up my rear tires (275/45ZR17 Toyo Proxes 4) from a dead stop, and even breaking traction some when hitting second gear.

Like I said, right now I'm gauging interest, so if anyone is interested, let me know. I'm working on accumulating parts and materials so that I can simply offer everything outright, or do core swaps. Once I know for sure, I'll make a post in the For Sale section.

Also, I'd like to work on parts for '99-newer as well as '97-older cars, so if anyone is from or near the central/southern/eastern part of Indiana, let me know. I'd love to be able to help out with some affordable upgrades for our cars that still add some performance.

Re: Gauging interest in '98 3800 intakes

I've decided I'm also going to try to work on a ducting setup using LS1 intake lids for cars that need even more air. The LS1 lids have a slightly larger opening for the ducting, which should suit cars with more modifications. And I'd like to have this one available for all of the '98-newer cars. It should be easier to make this one work with '99-newer cars, but I'm fairly certain I can come up with a ducting setup that will allow '98 cars to take advantage of the higher volume of air that the LS1 lids offer.

As soon as I can make sure that there is some interest in these ducting setups, I will work on posting some pictures. I'm not looking for deposits on anything, I just want to know if there is any interest in these so that I can start accumulating parts to have on hand to make turn around time shorter.

Comment

I have whisper lid and ram air kit but a stock lid can work as well if you remove the air bafflers saw the bottom cover to create an opening and k&n filter.

Comment

Exactly, but bypassing the intake silencer is the hard part, especially on '98 cars, where you can't just throw a piece of tubing in place of the silencer. Even at that, using new, smoother bellows in place of the accordion style factory bellows is a good way to improve airflow. And that's one of the things I'm working on putting together, a parts kit that eliminates the restrictive bellows and silencer.

I'm also working on a parts kit that would allow the use of the slightly higher volume LS1 lid that also has a larger outlet. This wouldn't have as much of an affect on mostly stock cars, but would be a good supporting mod on cars that have more modifications, such as ported heads, cam, full exhaust.

The factory airbox lids do their job, but can keep up with an aftermarket part like the Whisper piece if you remove the sound reduction ribbing from the inside. Aside from being time consuming, it also takes a little bit of skill and confidence to get it done properly. I've done a few so far that have all turned out very well, and it doesn't take me long to do the work.

And as for the lower airbox opening, that is something most people have the skill to do. But to take full advantage of the using the drop-through ram air scoops, you need to know what you're doing. I've also done a few of these, without aftermarket parts (aside from some seals) that have all given good results. I'm also working on a cheaper alternative to some of the higher cost scoops that are available. I can mold parts in fiberglass or wet carbon, so as long as the cost of the mold and materials doesn't exceed a certain point, then I should be able to produce these fairly inexpensively.

The throttle body work though is something best left to someone that knows what they're doing what they start modifying. Especially when it comes to modifying them for better flow as well as to make the computer read WOT.

Overall though, I've been working on these as a way to get some more performance out of the 3800 while still retaining a very close to stock appearance. Aside from there being a lack of intake upgrades available for the '98 cars, the ones that are available won't necessarily pass an emissions inspection. These keep a close to factory appearance that could possibly help owners in areas that require a visual inspection get some more performance without getting dinged by the smog nazis.

But like I've said, I'm only looking for owners that would be interested in some of these parts or services. If I feel like that there is enough interest in them, then I will start collecting parts and materials and get some pictures posted.

Comment

I'm in.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Andy H
            Hello everyone!
            by Andy H
            Its been a while since I've been on the forum. Hope everyone is doing well. I still have my camaro! Unfortunately, the slave cylinder and clutch has went...
            2 weeks ago
          • 3.4 slow to go
            hey there strangers!
            by 3.4 slow to go
            been a while but looks like i'm back in the game thanks to my brother. he went and bought an'02 bird, and since i'm a technician at the nissan place...
            3 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
          Working...
          X