conical air cleaner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• conical air cleaner

Recently purchased a resistor that replaces the AIT sensor. Read on several sites about the restrictions of the factory aircleaner/induction tube and seemingly the only replacement is hard to find. Though I'm still testing the fuel eficient properties (resistor), so far have noticed some gains in low end torque and the iddle not dropping to low when I initialize coasting. To the point, the factory air cleaner could be replaced with no further modification or pricey system. So I installed a 4'' conical air filter and so far have not pissed off the computer. Also didn't notice any additional noise from the open air element but some additional throttle response, nothing to bragg about but overall performance seems better. Also have an open flow muffler w/dual 2.5 pipes.

I'm not sure where you're heading. You used a resistor to trick the computer into thinking its getting more cold air? That's really all the power programmers work. It might give you a couple HP but at the expense of fuel efficiency and running rich. Assuming you also have a 98/99+ 3.8? The air silencers are restrictive and I was looking for tubing and couplers to delete it but couldn't do it with a stock lid. I'm picking up a whisper lid soon and that'll get it done on top of current SLP cai duct and a k&n filter

Comment

Re: conical air cleaner

i think the iat resistors tell it that its getting cooler air. so it doesn't pull timing, and won't add extra fuel for cooling purposes. i'd rather have the extra knock protection myself. most of the sound from intakes comes from the tubing. the deeper sound you get anyways.

Comment

Those resistors can backfire on you also, I tried one many years ago and it kept my A/C from working right.
        08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
        96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Yes, 3800 II,5-spd. It wasn't my intention to remove anything at first. I was and am looking to improve the fuel economy, air in and air out have always been the best ways to improve engine efeciency and power which equates to economy. These computer engines are new to me but I have heard for many years of plug-in devices that give them beter HP and economy. Unfortunately my car doesn't get anywhere near what the EPA estimates were (25-30mpg) , I drive like pawpaw and only get @18-20mpg. I have spent less than $100 for all the "upgrades" combined and kept all my stock parts. That could have been two more fill ups and so far no noticeable increase in fuel economy. If you guys know of any deffinates for improving the fuel efeciency on these cars I'd really appreciate the heads-up. Just thought the method I used could help anyone looking to replace the stock induction system.

Comment

Originally posted by tiller83 View Post
            Yes, 3800 II,5-spd. It wasn't my intention to remove anything at first. I was and am looking to improve the fuel economy, air in and air out have always been the best ways to improve engine efeciency and power which equates to economy. These computer engines are new to me but I have heard for many years of plug-in devices that give them beter HP and economy. Unfortunately my car doesn't get anywhere near what the EPA estimates were (25-30mpg) , I drive like pawpaw and only get @18-20mpg. I have spent less than $100 for all the "upgrades" combined and kept all my stock parts. That could have been two more fill ups and so far no noticeable increase in fuel economy. If you guys know of any deffinates for improving the fuel efeciency on these cars I'd really appreciate the heads-up. Just thought the method I used could help anyone looking to replace the stock induction system.
            Buy hptuners and a wideband O2 and start tunning.
            08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
            96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Headers and free flowing Exhaust. Light weight wheels.
              sigpic

Comment

Aluminum driveshaft. Check tire psi frequently.

Comment

Cheap intake mods, keep the factory air box, delete the silencer, make sure you keep it clean, I run seafoam regularly. Got 3" exhaust with no cat, and an o2 simulator in the rear sensor, T5, 148k miles, and 4.10s, I get ~25 average. No gas gauge because I'm too lazy to pull the pump for the sending unit, so I have to watch miles pretty close.
                  Also, that was the worst grammar in history.

Comment

i get 17 in town 27 highway, pre and post turbo. i would do basic tune up stuff if you haven't.

Comment

Originally posted by thebeewantsboost View Post
                      i get 17 in town 27 highway, pre and post turbo. i would do basic tune up stuff if you haven't.
                      Looks like you need to let off the throttle in town.lol I know its hard to do with the turbo on there.

Comment

Best to check the basics before buying things to trick the computer. If your car isn't getting the mileage it should, you should try to address the small things to see if anything is wrong. When was the last time the plugs were changed? Wires? How old are the coil packs? How often do you check the tire pressure and what do you keep it at? What kind of environment do you drive in, etc. So many factors to check.
                        '99 Camaro
                        '04 Saab 9-3 Aero
                        '90 Audi Coupe Quattro

Comment

Originally posted by ssms5411 View Post
                          Looks like you need to let off the throttle in town.lol I know its hard to do with the turbo on there.
                          I can't! lol and compared to the 14mpg i get in town, in my s10, i don't mind!

Comment

18-20mpg is in town. Aparently my wife gets the same in her maxima using premium and a smaller displacement, so maybe it's not that bad. Also my gas guage was crooked, took the inst pannel out (easy), cleaned the dust out and straightened the indicator. Originaly would only go as far as F and fill-up from E was only @12 gallons. So apparently I've always had more gas to run on and hopefuly will give me more accurate (beter) MPG stats. Went back to stock induction to keep out any gremlins.
                            Any model year with a stock aluminum drive shaft that's interchangeable ?

Comment

Originally posted by Ibanezz View Post
                              I'm not sure where you're heading. You used a resistor to trick the computer into thinking its getting more cold air? That's really all the power programmers work. It might give you a couple HP but at the expense of fuel efficiency and running rich. Assuming you also have a 98/99+ 3.8? The air silencers are restrictive and I was looking for tubing and couplers to delete it but couldn't do it with a stock lid. I'm picking up a whisper lid soon and that'll get it done on top of current SLP cai duct and a k&n filter
                              On my '98, I simply grabbed an intake bellow from a 3800 Grand Prix (the one that connects to the throttle body) and used my factory airbox bellow and a piece of appropriately sized aluminum tubing to get rid of my intake silencer. Then I just shaved my intake lid and did the cold air mod with a K&N drop-in filter. I noticed better response from this setup than I did with the Whisper lid.

The only extra work I had to do (aside from slightly shaping the aluminum tubing to match the airbox lid) to use the Grand Prix bellow was to trim the flange that butts against the throttle body so I could use the factory hose clamp. It does have an extra IAT sensor bung now, but if you can find something to plug the hole with, it's no big deal.

Right now I'm looking into getting some silicone intake tube connectors and a new piece of aluminum tubing to use in place of the factory bellows. Once the weather gets warmer so I can get out and do some measuring, I should be able to order what I need.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• ssms5411
                                Had to get another phone
                                by ssms5411
                                Well my iPhone 11 Pro Max took a dump, it’s in a boot up loop, will try and get it fixed and give it to my mom. So I got a new iPhone 15 pro max, everything...
                                1 week ago
                              • ssms5411
                                Leaking front cover
                                by ssms5411
                                So I’m still leaking coolant, I think it’s my front cover, going to double check when it’s alittle warmer, got the Zzp extra thick timing cover...
                                2 weeks ago
                              • transamtom1
                                Went to look at 2002 V6 Firebird Vert.
                                by transamtom1
                                Local car on a small lot just over 100k mikes(178,000 kms)

Silver with grey leather and black top 3.8L for $5400 cdn or $3975 usd as is....
                                3 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X