Cheap 3800 intake modifications

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cheap 3800 intake modifications

Ok, so I've been getting a little too bored lately, and have decided that I would state that if anyone is looking for cheap intake upgrades, I can offer some assistance. I've done some work on my own '98 Firebird, and it's worked out fairly well.

For all '98-up cars, most of you know about the free 'ram air' mod by now, but another easy upgrade you can do to pick up some more airflow is to smooth out the intake lid. I've done this, it's not hard but does require some time and patience. This is especially helpful on '98 models, since the Whisper lid is no longer available for that model year. I had one of the Whisper lids at one point, and wasn't all that satisfied with it. They would certainly make more of a difference on a more heavily modified car, but offer little for cars with only the basic intake and exhaust bolt-ons. There is also the option to bypass the factory intake silencer. This is fairly easy to do.

For angled intake 3800's, I have done porting on the throttle bodies, as well as adjusted the close and open angles, and adjusted the TPS to reach at or near 100% throttle position. These are not things that are easily accomplished by someone with novice skills, but are doable. Leaving the MAF screen in place on these is recommended however, as it doesn't restrict flow as much as most believe it does. It will however help smooth out flow for the MAF on a modified throttle body. If you have your ECM retuned, running without the screen is not that big of a deal. On a stock tune however, it will run better with it than without.

If anyone is interested in finding out more, emailing me directly is the simplest way to get hold of me. If you choose to do so, please title your email with 'V6 info' so that I'll know it's not spam. My email is firehawk_83@hotmail.com

I will try to get some pictures up when I can.

I have tried these modifications on my own '98 and have been fairly pleased with the results. Keep in mind there were no major power gains, but I did notice some increase in throttle response, and the car runs a bit stronger when held wide open. The car managed 170 rwhp running at around 200 on a very hot day. That may not seem inpressive, but it was the 3rd and last of my dyno runs that day, and unfortunately was the only one that was able to give a horsepower reading. Plus the car already had a 130K miles on it then, and was in need of a slight tune-up.

Anyways, thank you for taking the time to read this, look forward to helping out other owners with some cheap mods.

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Andy H
    Hello everyone!
    by Andy H
    Its been a while since I've been on the forum. Hope everyone is doing well. I still have my camaro! Unfortunately, the slave cylinder and clutch has went...
    3 weeks ago
  • 3.4 slow to go
    hey there strangers!
    by 3.4 slow to go
    been a while but looks like i'm back in the game thanks to my brother. he went and bought an'02 bird, and since i'm a technician at the nissan place...
    3 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
Working...
X