LIM Help Please!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LIM Help Please!

Just got a 02 firebird with 3.8. Got it cheap. Guy said it had a blown head gasket. I tore it all down head gasket was good but lim gasket was bad. Changed all gaskets.

Now Im getting a puddle of oil/water mix on the passenger side around the injectors.
    I have tore off the intake a second time just to make sure I didnt miss something, or torque something wrong, and getting the same thing.
    Anybody got a clue what I am doing wrong? (I torqued the bolts @ 11flbs got that from Haynes)
    Thanks for any help

Re: LIM Help Please!

Just a guess, but maybe from the LIM bolts? They do require thread sealant.

Comment

I was was wondering about that. I didn't put any on.
      Have you ever used any? Know any good ones?

Comment

just regular thread sealant, Ive used the glue stick style, you put it on one side of the threads and you're good to go.

2002 SOM Z28 Camaro - 12.9 @ 104 mph
        1996 3800 Camaro - 13.43 @ 100.77 mph

Project Cars | How To Guides | Scratch Repair | Synthetic Oil

Comment

Thanks I'll give it a shot !

Comment

Im in the process of doing this as I type but Im stuck. How do you get the bolt out that holds the ignition coils bracket. The one on the back of the engine. I cant pull the LIM out since the bracket is keeping it down. Thanks

Comment

I just took a deep breath and wrenched it out. Not fun. But putting it back I cut off the end that bolts to the back of the block.

Comment

Is it a 13mm? Its so close to the dang firewall that I cant even get a 1/4 ratchet or just the socket on the top of the head to break it loose. And sadly I have no 13mm wrench to test fit because people at work all have sticky fingers and amnesia when theyre around my toolbox.:rant:

Comment

I got it off but then there was another bolt further down. So I figured Id take the belt tensioner out the way. Broke the coolant elbows and just slide the LIM out. Not happy with what I saw but Im glad I caught it before I blew the motor.
                  I know I should get the alum gaskets but I cant wait since this is my daily so Im going to get the AZ felpros. Since I have the experience Ill swap later this year.
                  Last edited by akirony; 01-27-2013, 02:49 PM.

Comment

Could you spot where it was leaking?
                    08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
                    96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Originally posted by ssms5411 View Post
                      Could you spot where it was leaking?
                      An exact spot? No but it looks like it was leaking everywhere. Both sides are soaked so I thought my valve covers were leaking but theyve been replaced twice. I just hope I dont have to worry about my headgaskets.

Comment

I did a head gasket while I had my stripped down. Not to much work after you take the lim off.

Comment

Ok Im a bit confused now. The kit came with the intake gaskets and end seals. WTH is up with these end seals? They dnt have the locating pins so I slabbed them up with silicone. But they kept sliding all over the place and wouldnt stay still. So I got them to stay and the front one puked itself out when I torqued it down. Its 8pm and im using a street light to see so im calling it for tonight. I read that stang owners just throw them away and put an extra thick bead of silicone in their place. To hell with these end seals.

Comment

those seals only go on one way, put extra RTV in the corners, and a thin bead across the top...they're not that hard to install, and certainly should not be moving around...you're doing something wrong.

2002 SOM Z28 Camaro - 12.9 @ 104 mph
                            1996 3800 Camaro - 13.43 @ 100.77 mph

Project Cars | How To Guides | Scratch Repair | Synthetic Oil

Comment

I didn't have much trouble with those.Just put them I and put a lot of silicone on the ends were it meets the gasket.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• 3.4 slow to go
                                hey there strangers!
                                by 3.4 slow to go
                                been a while but looks like i'm back in the game thanks to my brother. he went and bought an'02 bird, and since i'm a technician at the nissan place...
                                6 hours ago
                              • ssms5411
                                Had to get another phone
                                by ssms5411
                                Well my iPhone 11 Pro Max took a dump, it’s in a boot up loop, will try and get it fixed and give it to my mom. So I got a new iPhone 15 pro max, everything...
                                1 week ago
                              • ssms5411
                                Leaking front cover
                                by ssms5411
                                So I’m still leaking coolant, I think it’s my front cover, going to double check when it’s alittle warmer, got the Zzp extra thick timing cover...
                                2 weeks ago
                              • transamtom1
                                Went to look at 2002 V6 Firebird Vert.
                                by transamtom1
                                Local car on a small lot just over 100k mikes(178,000 kms)

Silver with grey leather and black top 3.8L for $5400 cdn or $3975 usd as is....
                                3 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X