Dual exhaust 2002 v6 camaro

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dual exhaust 2002 v6 camaro

I'm going to be getting exhaust on my camaro. What parts make up the full exhaust? Like what should i be upgrading? Headers? Y-pipe? Etc?

Re: Dual exhaust 2002 v6 camaro

Headers would be nice, Y pipe comes with the headers,then its 3" piping from there to the back. You'll need a mandrel bent 3" over the axle. Then whatever muffler your running along with the cat. Also 3" S pipe but you can get a U bend and cut it into to make the S pipe.
    08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
    96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

I've been talking with my local exhaust shop and they are saying they can get a magnaflow muffler and they can fabricate the pipes to give me dual exhaust. They said it is full exhaust.
      They said this doesn't include headers, and is better than a cat-back system, is that correct?
      I've read the stickys but still don't fully understand what parts are considered the "full exhaust" and what are extras like headers etc.
      I'm no expert on this, so any help would be appreciated. I want to be sure they aren't trying to rip me off.
      Also, they want to charge $480 for parts and labor, is that a fair price? And are there any other questions I should ask them to be sure I'm getting full exhaust?

Comment

You'd have to buy headers from someone, as the science behind them is pretty tricky. I'd go for Clear Image headers, pricey, but worth it. Or look for some Force Fed Fab long tubes, you'd have to buy them used. Then you can have the shop fab up the cat and catback.
        http://www.clearimageautomotive.com/...v6_headers.php
        http://www.hawksthirdgenparts.com/pr...e-Headers.html

You can find a better price for the Pacesetters, just giving you a link.
        Last edited by enzia35; 01-05-2013, 01:22 PM.

Comment

I'd ask what size exhaust are they doing for $480.
          08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
          96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Are we playing Jeopardy?

Comment

I'll take History for a $1000 ,Alex . lol

Comment

Thanks

Comment

If they say anything about a Y-pipe then you're not getting true duals. You want to hear H- or X-pipe in place of the Y. Headers will cost $250+, High Flow ebay cats are $50+ each, then figure in all the piping and whichever muffler setup you choose is an additional $200+. I shelled out around $900 in parts alone on mine and did all the work myself.
                  aka FreedStyle
                  Chaddrich Freed

(1 of 443) 2002 SLP Firebird GT #107 (244rwhp/254rwtq naturally aspirated)
                  2008 Silverado Crew Cab 5.3L 4x4

Comment

If I remember correctly a dual is superior in HP compare to catback, but not in TQ.

If you do google search they do sell duals for V8 fbodies. This can be converted to our engine.

Comment

I personally would get a set of the FFF longtubes and the do a 2-1/4 od true dual setup with an X-pipe. And for the mufflers I would personally use a set of the 4x14x2.25 (part# 14445 if running without a resonator) Magnaflow Magnapacks or their Race Series 4x6x2.5 (part# 14156, if using a resonator) located under the trunk. I currently have a pair of the 4x14x2.5 Magnapacks and a Magnaflow X-pipe on my GTO, and it sounds great. It's a bit quieter than I would prefer, but it has a nice throaty roar when you give it throttle.

Another thing to consider that would help some with the sound is that using a dual pass or twin resonators (getting ahold of a used factory unit from an '05-'06 GTO will work) underneath the car (roughly where SLP puts the resonator on their Loudmouth exhausts) will help cut down on some of that crappy rasp that comes along with running a highflow exhaust on our cars.

I'm trying to plan out an exhaust for my '98 Firebird right now, and I'm planning to try to do the exhaust on mine how I recommended above. Going with a 2-1/4 od or id tubing is going to give it a decent, smooth rumble without sounding too farty when revved out. You're never going to get it to sound just like an American V8, but with a decent setup could get something somewhat akin to the Aston Martin DB9/DBS or Vantage V12.

Also stay away from long, large bore exhaust tips. If you want tips that look similar to a pair of bologna cut canons, look into a pair of single outlet, dual walled, 2-1/2 tips. They're more expensive, but at least with these it will help reduce some of the drone that our cars are known for.

If you want a good idea of how to run the pipes, one setup to look at is Kooks true dual catback for the LS1 F-bodies. Should give you a good idea of how to have it routed.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• ssms5411
                        Had to get another phone
                        by ssms5411
                        Well my iPhone 11 Pro Max took a dump, it’s in a boot up loop, will try and get it fixed and give it to my mom. So I got a new iPhone 15 pro max, everything...
                        1 week ago
                      • ssms5411
                        Leaking front cover
                        by ssms5411
                        So I’m still leaking coolant, I think it’s my front cover, going to double check when it’s alittle warmer, got the Zzp extra thick timing cover...
                        2 weeks ago
                      • transamtom1
                        Went to look at 2002 V6 Firebird Vert.
                        by transamtom1
                        Local car on a small lot just over 100k mikes(178,000 kms)

Silver with grey leather and black top 3.8L for $5400 cdn or $3975 usd as is....
                        3 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X