Problem with clamp after s-pipe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problem with clamp after s-pipe

So my exhaust is stock, it uses the band clamp between the s-pipe and the intermediate pipe.

The clamp is getting loose (had a horrible rattle for over a year, found out that the pipe was coming loose, knocked it back into place and tightened the clamp back down. Now 1 month later the rattle is back)

I see that the clamp is tack welded to the pipe in one spot, whats the best way to break that weld loose to replace the clamp (drill it, cold chisel, ???)

Also when I replace the clamp, should I get that section tack-welded together or will the clamp hold it well enough?

I know the car is just begging for new exhaust but the wife isn't as convinced:)

Re: Problem with clamp after s-pipe

do you have access to an air compressor and die grinder?? that is the best way to get through welds... if not old fashioned arm strength :) If you can weld it, by all means, welding is always better. If not, get a new band clamp, summit has good ones for a few dollars, and they hold good.

Comment

Re: Problem with clamp after s-pipe

To be honest, save yourself the time and energy and get a cheap muffler clamp from autozone. My flowmaster system did the exact same thing until I couldn't take the rattle anymore. I just clamped over the remaining space that I could to tighten it down and haven't had a problem since. Save the effort for a better exhaust like you mentioned and don't waste your time with the stock one.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Andy H
        Hello everyone!
        by Andy H
        Its been a while since I've been on the forum. Hope everyone is doing well. I still have my camaro! Unfortunately, the slave cylinder and clutch has went...
        3 weeks ago
      • 3.4 slow to go
        hey there strangers!
        by 3.4 slow to go
        been a while but looks like i'm back in the game thanks to my brother. he went and bought an'02 bird, and since i'm a technician at the nissan place...
        3 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
      Working...
      X