air intake thoughts??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• air intake thoughts??

I installed a cold air kit on my 01 camaro 3.8. I noticed that since I don't have fog lights, the cutout would be perfect for true cold air. Has anyone put the filter close if on opening?? I didn't know if it would conterreact itself being the pipe would be rather long?? Any feedback would be appreciated

You want as shallow turns as possible (no acute angles) if you're doing it. Also seems fine to me since fender CAIs are about the same length.

Sent from my Verizon Wireless smartphone.

Comment

Re: air intake thoughts??

Have you done the cut outs already?

Comment

The cutouts are already there. I'm trying to figure out a way to either move the filter in front of the opening or somehow connect a pipe from there to force air to the filter.

Comment

What type of "cold air" kit did you install?

Comment

It's more of a generic cold air, just has two chrome pipes, 2.5" to 3" in diam. Couple elbows and reusable filter. I got it off ebay for about 50 bucks. I'm impressed with the sound and pep it gave. The way I ran it is one pipe runs towards driver side, on top radiator, I then ran the pipe downtown where it drops behind the bumper. I think I may try to figure out a pipe I can run from behind the foglight opening, which I don't have foglight, to try to force more air to the filter.

Comment

one thing to keep in mind with a setup like this is water. if you hit a puddle that filter will suck that water up and you run the risk of blowing your engine. they make a sort of bypass valve to prevent this.

Comment

I was thinking about a different intake ever since I first did a filter change. I am stunned at the routing to the filter box and how ineffecient it seems. I removed the connector pipe from the filter box to the light duct. The pre 98's have the intake routed from behind the headlight on the driver side if i'm picturing it correctly (I've wondered if this provides a small ram effect on its own). I was considering getting one of those ebay cai's as they seem to not have that narrow point near the brake lines and putting it down in front of the headlight and blocking off the space to the engine bay to keep the cooler air going in. There is a plastic panel protecting it from the underside so the only way I see that it would take in water would be if you were seriously tailgating someone in the rain who sprayed you from a big puddle. The wheel is behind this point on the car so you're not gong to splash yourself.
                96 White M5 Camaro. Manual everything. Magnaflow cat, dynomax dual outlet axle back. Swapped to a disc rear with 3.42s and a torsen differential, kyb gr2 rear shocks, moog rear endlinks.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Andy H
                  Hello everyone!
                  by Andy H
                  Its been a while since I've been on the forum. Hope everyone is doing well. I still have my camaro! Unfortunately, the slave cylinder and clutch has went...
                  2 weeks ago
                • 3.4 slow to go
                  hey there strangers!
                  by 3.4 slow to go
                  been a while but looks like i'm back in the game thanks to my brother. he went and bought an'02 bird, and since i'm a technician at the nissan place...
                  3 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                Working...
                X