Headers, Port-Matching

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Headers, Port-Matching

How important is port-matching for new headers? The exhaust ports on the car are more square-ish where the OBX headers I have, and the new Pacesetters I bought both have circular ports. I took the time when I installed the OBX headers to grind them to more of a square port to match as close to perfect as I could get, but is it really necessary?
    aka FreedStyle
    Chaddrich Freed

(1 of 443) 2002 SLP Firebird GT #107 (244rwhp/254rwtq naturally aspirated)
    2008 Silverado Crew Cab 5.3L 4x4

Re: Headers, Port-Matching

Not really necessary but I would think it would flow better if their matched.
    08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
    96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

As long as the header is larger than the port your fine.
      sigpic

Comment

The purpose of the header is to allow better flow on the exhaust side of the engine. If you have a restriction right at the point of exit what would be the point of installing the headers in the first place? I would get the die grinder out and hog those ports out.

Comment

Originally posted by 3.4grapeofwrath View Post
          The purpose of the header is to allow better flow on the exhaust side of the engine. If you have a restriction right at the point of exit what would be the point of installing the headers in the first place? I would get the die grinder out and hog those ports out.

ON the head or the header?
          sigpic

Comment

I'm guessing the heads. I don't think there is much material to remove on headers unless the opening on the flange is smaller than the header pipe.
            96 White M5 Camaro. Manual everything. Magnaflow cat, dynomax dual outlet axle back. Swapped to a disc rear with 3.42s and a torsen differential, kyb gr2 rear shocks, moog rear endlinks.

Comment

Once again, You want the port in the head smaller then the header. You do not want them the same size.
              sigpic

Comment

My situation was the port on the OBX headers were probably pretty darn close to the same size as the port on the heads, but they were round whereas the heads are a rectangular shape. Since the header ports were round, I squared them off basically so that they were the same shape as the port on the heads, but funneled into the round shape of the header pipes. It's hard/confusing to describe with no pictures, but I think you guys get the jist of it..
                aka FreedStyle
                Chaddrich Freed

(1 of 443) 2002 SLP Firebird GT #107 (244rwhp/254rwtq naturally aspirated)
                2008 Silverado Crew Cab 5.3L 4x4

Comment

Originally posted by bigbrian442 View Post
                  ON the head or the header?
                  On the header. I agree the header port should be slightly smaller then the exhaust port. Use your gaskets as a template to hog out the header ports but leave some material.

Comment

Originally posted by bigbrian442 View Post
                    Once again, You want the port in the head smaller then the header. You do not want them the same size.

:poke: wut?

Comment

Originally posted by 3.4grapeofwrath View Post
                      On the header. I agree the header port should be slightly smaller then the exhaust port. Use your gaskets as a template to hog out the header ports but leave some material.
                      Sorry, I had that backwards. The head port should be smaller. Like the man said.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Andy H
                        Hello everyone!
                        by Andy H
                        Its been a while since I've been on the forum. Hope everyone is doing well. I still have my camaro! Unfortunately, the slave cylinder and clutch has went...
                        3 weeks ago
                      • 3.4 slow to go
                        hey there strangers!
                        by 3.4 slow to go
                        been a while but looks like i'm back in the game thanks to my brother. he went and bought an'02 bird, and since i'm a technician at the nissan place...
                        3 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X