Metalic Catalitic Converters.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Metalic Catalitic Converters.

A local mechanic was telling me that in his experience, most high flow cats will fail an emissions test. This is in Ontario and I don't know if we are more stringent that other jurisdictions. I've been looking into some high flow cats being marketed by Pacesetter and Flowmonster and other Ebay brands I've never heard of. They're advertized as having a metallic, rather than ceramic core, which heats up more quickly, making it it more efficient. Does anyone here have experience with these units? Has someone passed or failed an emissions test because of one of these?

Re: Metalic Catalitic Converters.

Depends on what your emissions people test for. Here in Illinois they no longer do the tailpipe test if you have an OBD2 car. They just plug it in and scan for codes. So as long as it doesn't set off your SES light it's good. If it does set the light, you need the O2 sim or get the code tuned out.
    2002 Silver Firebird A4<br />T-Tops, Leather, Y87, W68, Chrome Wheels<br />Bone Stock

Comment

I'm kinda curious about this too.
      1997 Chevrolet Camaro
      L26, Pacesetter headers, SLP cai, Centerforce DF clutch, Pro 5.0 shifter, UMI short stick, 1le driveline, J&M 35mm front swaybar, UMI lca's/phb/sfc's, KYB AGX shocks, Hotchkis stb.

Comment

Originally posted by Rhunadan View Post
        A local mechanic was telling me that in his experience, most high flow cats will fail an emissions test. This is in Ontario and I don't know if we are more stringent that other jurisdictions. I've been looking into some high flow cats being marketed by Pacesetter and Flowmonster and other Ebay brands I've never heard of. They're advertized as having a metallic, rather than ceramic core, which heats up more quickly, making it it more efficient. Does anyone here have experience with these units? Has someone passed or failed an emissions test because of one of these?
        If you need it to pass emissions the "California" cats are the best bet aftermarket wise.

Comment

It depends on wether they use a tailpipe "sniffer" or plug into the OBDII port and just scan for codes.

Comment

In AZ they just scan codes, I haven't had a CAT on mine in over 10 years.
            08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
            96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Andy H
              Hello everyone!
              by Andy H
              Its been a while since I've been on the forum. Hope everyone is doing well. I still have my camaro! Unfortunately, the slave cylinder and clutch has went...
              2 weeks ago
            • 3.4 slow to go
              hey there strangers!
              by 3.4 slow to go
              been a while but looks like i'm back in the game thanks to my brother. he went and bought an'02 bird, and since i'm a technician at the nissan place...
              2 weeks ago
            • ssms5411
              Had to get another phone
              by ssms5411
              Well my iPhone 11 Pro Max took a dump, it’s in a boot up loop, will try and get it fixed and give it to my mom. So I got a new iPhone 15 pro max, everything...
              4 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
            Working...
            X